Security+ study path

LunchbocksLunchbocks Member Posts: 319 ■■■■□□□□□□
I have a question and hope some of you can help me. I just started studying for the Security+ certification. I am using Darril Gibson's Securtity+ guide, CBT Nuggets, Mike Meyers Udemy course, and Stormwind Studios. All of these resources seem to be good. My question is this; for those who used multiple resources like this, which resource did you use as the path to guide you through the material in a good way. All of these resources start about the same with C.I.A. but quickly branch off in their own direction. I'm thinking of using the book as the path because it seems to follow a more structured learning path, each chapter building on the prior chapter, but I would love to hear what some of you did that helped you successfully pass the exam on the first try.

When studying for my Network+, it got chaotic about halfway through because all of the different resources were going their own way. I would like to avoid that this go around.

Thanks!
Degree: Liberty University - B.S Computer Science (In Progress)
Current Certs: CCENT | MCTS | Network+
Currently Working On: Security+
2020 Goals: CCNA, CCNP Security, Linux+

Comments

• Cert PoorCert Poor Member Posts: 240 ■■■□□□□□□□
    edited February 2020
    I hate how inactive these forums have become.  Back when I joined, they were poppin'.  I'm currently working on SY0-501.  Here's what I'm using:

[x] Professor Messer YouTube videos at 2x speed.
    [x] CBT Nuggets videos (Keith Barker) at 2.25x speed
    [ ] Darril Gibson study guide (hard copy)
    [ ] Darril Gibson app

I'm getting antsy with how long I've spent so far studying.  The CBT Nuggets videos are 20 hours total, so I hope at double speed it's 10 hours or less.  The Darril Gibson book is 500+ pages, and I'm a slow reader.  The app has a ton of practice questions.

Anyways, I passed SY0-201 back in 2010 with no IT professional experience, and I literally only used Darril Gibson's book.  That's it.  I read it cover to cover, slowly in 3-4 weeks, and took detailed notes.  I did every question in the book and read the answers on why the correct answers were correct and the incorrect answers were incorrect.  Honestly for Security+, I think Darril Gibson's book is the gold standard.

Good luck!
    In progress: MTA: Database Fundamentals (98-364)
    Next up: CompTIA Cloud Essentials+ (CLO-002) or LPI Linux Essentials (010-160)
    Earned: CompTIA A+, Net+, Sec+, Server+, Proj+
    ITIL-F v3 2011 | ServiceNow CSA, CAD, CIS | CWNP CWTS
  • LunchbocksLunchbocks Member Posts: 319 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I couldn't agree more. Back in the early 2000s, the forums were non-stop. We were even sharing study notes that we created while going through the material. I always reply to a question if I know the answer.

Thanks for this info. It looks like we are both using the same materials, except I am also using Mike Meyer's Udemy class and I didn't know Darril Gibson had an app; I will be adding it. I am using Darril Gibson's book to chart the path forward, and bouncing around in the videos to follow his book. The book seems to follow a more natural path of learning the information.

Good luck with your exam. I just passed my ICND1 and took a Cisco detour to get this cert. After this, I will get back to studying for my CCNA and then move into CCNP Security.

• Cert PoorCert Poor Member Posts: 240 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Last date to take the 200-105 ICND2 exam to complete the CCNA is like next week!  Feb 23, 2020.

They're coming out with a 2020 CCNA cert that's just one exam (no ICND1 or CCENT) and changing quite a few of the paths.

Here's the app on Google Play for those reading this thread:  https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.learnzapp.securityplus&hl=en_US  Honestly I haven't really played with it yet as I bought it a couple years ago.  Some reviews said it was buggy which might be true, but I used the Network+ app that Darril Gibson authored and it was fine overall.

Oh and interesting approach using one book as the "path" and organizing your other materials around it.  I'm "lazy" and just do each book or video or whatever from start to finish even if they don't line up with the CompTIA objectives in perfect order.

In progress: MTA: Database Fundamentals (98-364)
    Next up: CompTIA Cloud Essentials+ (CLO-002) or LPI Linux Essentials (010-160)
    Earned: CompTIA A+, Net+, Sec+, Server+, Proj+
    ITIL-F v3 2011 | ServiceNow CSA, CAD, CIS | CWNP CWTS
    Yep, not going to make it. When I realized that I ran out of time, I decided to break away and get my Security+. Then I will start off with the new CCNA.
    I know I could go directly into CCNP, but the new CCNA has some new material that I really want to get so I'm going to start with that one. It's possible that by the end of the year I could have my Security+, CCNA, and CCNP security. Time will tell :)

• yoba222yoba222 Member Posts: 1,237 ■■■■■■■■□□
    A bit too late for answer, but I'd use the CompTIA exam objectives as the spine of your study path. This is really the goal and can keep your mindset aligned with how much or not to focus on something.
    A+, Network+, CCNA, LFCS,
    Security+, eJPT, CySA+, PenTest+,
    Cisco CyberOps, GCIH, VHL,
    In progress: OSCP
    Thanks Yoba. I actually use the exam objectives as a guide to learning, just not the order I learn the material. I passed my Network+ and my ICND1 by using the exam objectives. I stepped through the list one-by-one and studied until I knew that section before moving on. However, the objectives jump around and don't necessarily start at the entry-level concepts. And when I am using numerous different study materials, they all take a different approach to the order they present the material. So I use Darril Gibson's book as a guide for the order in which I learn the material, but I use the objectives to determine where I am with a subject and have I learned it well enough to test. When I move on to the next subject in the book, I jump around in the other materials so that their teachings align with the subject I am in using the book.

I agree 100% that the objectives are the true goal and the guide on whether I know the material or not. If I know the objectives, then I know the material well enough to test.