ISSAP Concentration changes effective 20Oct20

beadsbeads Member Posts: 1,531 ■■■■■■■■■□
The ISC(2) has announced changes to the ISSAP in order to improve the certifications marketability and to keep the certification up to date. No word on a new CBK.

Comments

• chrisonechrisone Member Posts: 2,278 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Interesting, hopefully they bring out new material. I believe they updated the exam back in 2015-2016 already and without any new CBK materials. 
    Certs: CISSP, EnCE, OSCP, CRTP, eCTHPv2, eCPPT, eCIR, LFCS, CEH, SPLK-1002, SC-200, SC-300, AZ-900, AZ-500, VHL:Advanced+
    2023 Cert Goals: SC-100, eCPTX
  • Grafixx01Grafixx01 Member Posts: 109 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Wonder if they'll wait 6+ months for a CBK like they did for the CCSP change last year...
  • internutzzinternutzz Member Posts: 15 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Grafixx01 said:
    Wonder if they'll wait 6+ months for a CBK like they did for the CCSP change last year...
    You'll be given at least 6 months' notice before an exam is due to change, but in terms of new study materials these follow on after the new exam is released (if at all!!!). One of the ISC2 Community employees explains why in this post: https://community.isc2.org/t5/Member-Support/Are-they-going-to-issue-a-new-CCSP-study-guide-with-the-test/m-p/25709/highlight/true#M5146
    Grafixx01 said:
    You'll be given at least 6 months' notice before an exam is due to change, but in terms of new study materials these follow on after the new exam is released (if at all!!!). One of the ISC2 Community employees explains why in this post: https://community.isc2.org/t5/Member-Support/Are-they-going-to-issue-a-new-CCSP-study-guide-with-the-test/m-p/25709/highlight/true#M5146
    Thanks, I read it. Still, to me, it makes no sense even though my opinion doesn't count for snit. Its like when I took the CCSP, I failed it and didn't know they changed what the domains were. I have the Official CBK and then the Official Study Guide, I read BOTH cover-to-cover, did practice tests, etc. Then I look, after finding out that they changed it, for the new CBK and Guide. When I looked in October/November 2019, it said the Guide would be available in December 2019/January2020. The Official CBK though... Amazon now shows it for like 2021! That to me is redonkulous!
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    edited February 2020
    The (ISC)2 claims that ANSI/ISO/IEC 17024 accreditation requires a business (ethics) separation exist between the team that writes the certification exam material and the team that creates the educational materials used by the exam-taking public. This is very true. The author of the post claims that ANSI/ISO/IEC 17024 also prevents the exam team from releasing the exam material to the education team prior to the exam material being released to the general public, thus causing a long delay in the creation of exam study materials after the exam itself is released. If this is true, all other IT certification vendors who are also accredited by ANSI/ISO/IEC 17024 (e.g., Cisco, CompTIA, CertNexus, GIAC, ISACA, IAPP, PMI, and EC-Council) would have this same problem. Do they?
    edited February 2020
    I do not recall EC-Council doing that for like the Version 9 to 10 C|EH. Well, at least not like changing it in September and the new study materials not being available for 1+years after the change. 

For instance with the CCSP, I just looked up the CBK and Amazon doesn’t show it even becoming available until May 2021!

Not that my opinion matters, even though is do hold my CISSP, but wouldn’t you want the new material first, then change the testing EVEN if it has to be done by 2 different groups. Logic being material that is in the new weighted areas and on the test, ASIDE from new tech that has come out, should be in the book and then on the exam. Unless you are going to write your book based off of the questions on the test?
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    I think it is likely that the spirit of the accreditation would not intend to hamper the timely release of the certification material or its accompanying educational material. If other accredited IT cert vendors are not having this problem then the (ISC)2 is either misinterpreting the rules of the accreditation or misrepresenting the rules as an excuse to hide some other production problems.
    edited March 2020
    JDMurray said:
    I think it is likely that the spirit of the accreditation would not intend to hamper the timely release of the certification material or its accompanying educational material. If other accredited IT cert vendors are not having this problem then the (ISC)2 is either misinterpreting the rules of the accreditation or misrepresenting the rules as an excuse to hide some other production problems.
    I don't know. I have seen other vendors release the new materials roughly at the same time or give/take like 2 months for the most part. OR some have even released the new materials and THEN changed the tests. But I still think like 1+yrs (CCSP experience) for the 'official CBK' to come out after the exam is changed, regardless of the number / volume of changes is a little absurd.