Sans 660 or Sans 505

bogaboga Member Posts: 2 ■■□□□□□□□□
edited March 2020 in GIAC
I want to go for the sans course and i am interested in only windows kind of things .. I know i am asking about 505 that is basically a defensive side of course(based on powershell mainly) and sans 660 that is network exploitation.. But i want your suggestions which one should i take or should i start with sans 503 that is basic network intrusion preventions system . I just want to know about the sans 503 that if i go in it . Will i be more preferable than a CCNA CCNP Cisco professional or is it better than that?? Lots of confusions...Huh
i just want the start and i am currently studying the web exploitation side.

Comments

• E Double UE Double U Member Posts: 2,228 ■■■■■■■■■■
    edited March 2020
    Seems like you are all over the place without a clear goal. A few questions:

- Do you want to take a course that helps in your current role? And if so, what is that role?
    - Are you preparing for a future role? And if so, what is that role?
    - Can you prioritize the topics that you are interested in?
    Alphabet soup from (ISC)2, ISACA, GIAC, EC-Council, Microsoft, ITIL, Cisco, Scrum, CompTIA, AWS
  • TechGromitTechGromit Member Posts: 2,156 ■■■■■■■■■□
    If this is your first SANS course, I'd stick with 505. The course levels are 300, 400, 500, 600 and 700, each is level increases in difficulty, they are more than just random course numbers. Having taken a level 600 course, it was considerately more difficult than a level 500 course.   
    Still searching for the corner in a round room.
  • cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    This is like trying to answer what car is right for you. Can't really answer without covering what E Double U mentioned. 
  • LonerVampLonerVamp Member Posts: 518 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I think the only thing not mentioned is being a coder...  You have mentioned web exploitation, network exploitation, defense, IPS, networking, and exploit writing. What is your focus?

A. Take a step back and write down (for yourself, if no one else) what you want to do and learn.

B. Then in a separate place, look up and write down what each course prepares you to do and what the syllabus looks like it offers you.

C. Again, separately, write down what tools and knowledge (and certs) you already have, and how those help you get to A, and how they help you with B. What are you lacking to achieve A?

Compare and match up as needed.

Security Engineer/Analyst/Geek, Red & Blue Teams
    OSCP, GCFA, GWAPT, CISSP, OSWP, AWS SA-A, AWS Security, Sec+, Linux+, CCNA Cyber Ops, CCSK
    2021 goals: maybe AWAE or SLAE, bunch o' courses and red team labs?
  • bogaboga Member Posts: 2 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I just want to be a network pentester.. What are some languages that are being specifically used in sans 660 and 560 so that i could focus on them .

Thanks for your response all of you
  • chrisonechrisone Member Posts: 2,278 ■■■■■■■■■□
    edited March 2020
    Ok, to unpack this, if you want a SANS course that covers pentesting , defense, incident response, forensics, and malware analysis,  you should highly look at SANS SEC501: Advanced Security Essentials. 

The course covers all those topics and allows you to experience each topic (from an introductory level). After this class, you can venture deeper into other SANS courses that focus on the topics you really want to master. 

Now, regarding your question about a SANS503 or similar class, being more recognized than Cisco CCNA/CCNP, I do not think in the world of IT SANS will out beat the name recognition of Cisco. However depending on the job you are going after, lets say some type of security role, then a Cisco CCNP would not really help you, as it is networking focused. The SANS course will benefit you and the employer would be seeking individuals who have security related certs/course experience such as SANS.

If you feel that the SANS 501 is too basic, then you need to pick an area of focus Pentesting (SANS 560, 660, 760) , Web Pentesting (SEC542,  642), etc

Goodluck!
    Certs: CISSP, EnCE, OSCP, CRTP, eCTHPv2, eCPPT, eCIR, LFCS, CEH, SPLK-1002, SC-200, SC-300, AZ-900, AZ-500, VHL:Advanced+
    2023 Cert Goals: SC-100, eCPTX
  • E Double UE Double U Member Posts: 2,228 ■■■■■■■■■■
    boga said:
    I just want to be a network pentester.. What are some languages that are being specifically used in sans 660 and 560 so that i could focus on them .

Thanks for your response all of you
    Then hopefully OSCP is your end goal :-:smile:
    Alphabet soup from (ISC)2, ISACA, GIAC, EC-Council, Microsoft, ITIL, Cisco, Scrum, CompTIA, AWS