A new opportinity: Sr. Security Engineer back to IT Support

SoCalGuy858SoCalGuy858 Member Posts: 150 ■■■□□□□□□□
edited March 2020 in IT Jobs / Degrees
tl;dr Currently a Sr. Security Engineer for an insurance company, but have an opportunity to join a 3-letter federal LE agency with same pay, same local, but would move back into IT support.  Looking for input!  (For those that remember, I posted this 1.5 years ago about another opportunity that came my way, which I currently serve in:  https://community.infosecinstitute.com/discussion/133905/a-layoff-and-a-new-six-figure-opportunity/p1)

So, as the tl;dr states... I’ve got an opportunity in front of me to join a 3-letter federal LE agency as an IT support person in thier local office, so no need to relocate.  This would be a “jack of all trades” IT role covering 3-4 smaller offices in my part of the state.  I’m qualified up to the max grade for the role, which would get me essentially equal pay if I were to be granted the highest step.  With paying into FERS and TSP matching, it would definitely be a bit less, but certainly not an issue or show-stopper whatsoever.

I love security, but getting the opportunity to join federal service in a role that's as cool as this one is (in my eyes, anyway!) is definitely the one thing I think could pull me out of security, even if it's just a stepping stone.  My biggest desire growing up was to serve in the military, but that went right out the window with a medical disqualification... so I'm looking at this as my "chance" to do something.  (It also doesn't hurt that it would come with a TS/SCI clearance that could help with future roles, not to mention simply having "3-letter federal LE agency" on your resume!)  I also definitely don't mind doing IT support, and actually enjoyed my early years doing so, especially in the smaller offices I worked in (more of a team-player feel to it rather than just a cog in the giant help desk wheel.)

I'm making a list of thigs to discuss with the hiring staff (how much travel, on-call, etc., etc.), but would love anyone's input from those that have had to weigh decisions like this -- particularly if anyone is past/present civil service and can relate to making that jump from the private sector.  I'm trying to make sure I don't miss any important questions to ask or different ways to evaluate this.

Thanks, everyone!
LinkedIn - Just mention you're from TE!

Comments

• mikey88mikey88 Member Posts: 495 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Don't assume that you'll get the highest step. I knew a guy that went back and forth with HR for 3 months to bump his pay a bit until they finally budged. Also, depending on day one clearance requirements, you may not actually start for a long time after you accept conditional offer, so keep that in mind. 
    Certs: CISSP, CySA+, Security+, Network+ and others | 2019 Goals: Cloud Sec/Scripting/Linux

• SoCalGuy858SoCalGuy858 Member Posts: 150 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Good to know!  Thank you, mikey!
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    edited March 2020
    Make sure you understand the requirements and restrictions of your DoD clearance. With a TS, you will be restricted on what you can do and to what countries you can travel to and when. You must moderate your behavior so you can pass a surprise drug test and stay our of legal and financial trouble. Even getting mistakenly arrested by LE can cause your clearance to be reduced to a level below what you need to stay employed.

Ask your interviewer what will happen if you are hired and you don't pass muster for the full TS/SCI. (This is where your past history will come back to haunt your future.) Will having just a TS/SSBI or Secret clearance be enough to keep you employed there? Ask if there are any additional project clearances required and what their requirements are.

People think of a DoD clearance(s) as a shiny, desirable badge for their resume, but it's really a mark of trustworthiness that you must continually live up to if you want to keep it.
    @JDMurray Thanks for the input on the clearance!  No blemishes on my past history whatsoever, as well as a great financial standing, so I would *think* I'm good there, but who knows!

Thanks again for the input!

• itdeptitdept Registered Users Posts: 273 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I currently do support desk so I would see this as a step backwards...
      I also definitely don't mind doing IT support, and actually enjoyed my early years doing so, especially in the smaller offices I worked in (more of a team-player feel to it rather than just a cog in the giant help desk wheel.)
    How long ago were you on help desk and for how long? For me it feels like dog years.

It was definitely years ago, but not *that* long (I'm only 27).  Early on around 18-21.
  • Danielm7Danielm7 Member Posts: 2,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I'm not too familiar with how LE/gov does budgeting and such, but are they really likely to hire someone who hasn't done the job they're hiring for for 5+ years who will likely cost around double what they could hire someone else for? Without getting into whether it's a good career move or not, i'm just not sure if being overqualified in a different specialization and far top of salary band = someone they'd want to make an offer to?
    You're guess is as good as mine!  I'm just along for the ride... :)