Could Really Use Some Feedback

marcynow14marcynow14 Member Posts: 6 ■■□□□□□□□□
edited March 2020 in CISM
Hi,

I've been stalking the forum trying to see if I could find any answers to my questions but I think I'm better off asking. I'm taking the exam on Saturday and I'm super nervous. My employer only reimburses if you pass so I'd be out of 700 but I've studied pretty hard for the exam since the end of December. Despite all of this, I still don't feel 100% ready and I've done the database questions so much that I'm pretty sure I'm not getting an accurate reading or gauge of my abilities anymore. This is why I won't push the exam back because I think I've maxed out my resources, it's either go all in or never at all. I kind of feel like there's not much more I can leverage.

So far what I've done: 

AIO Book (read each domain)
Watched all of Kelly's videos on Cybrary
Read the domain manual
Completed all 1001 questions in the database 

At this point, I understand a lot conceptually but the trickiness of the questions and intentional traps are making me question myself. When do you think I will know if I'm ready?
Are the exam questions just as tricky and confusing as the Q&A database? 
If I understand the majority of the straight forward database questions do you think I'm all set? 
Also, this is not my aim but it will provide me ease of mine.. what would you estimate the number of incorrect answers can be?

I'm freaking out and kind of telling myself I can't fail but I don't want to think I'm prepared and I'm not. 
Tagged:

Comments

• SteveLavoieSteveLavoie Member Posts: 1,133 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Disclaimer, I didnt do the CISM exam, but I did the CISSP who is as expensive and somewhat related. 

The first thing that make feel you unprepared is the assertion that "you can't fail".  This assertion is making you more anxious than required. After all, if you fail, the world won't collide, you won't die, you will only be 700$ short. Sure it is a lot of money (and depending on which country you are, it could more than 700$ with the exchange rate), but see it as an expensive practice test!

The second thing, how much do you score on the Q&A database ? If you are scoring above 90% and if you understand the concept behind then you are probably ready. I dont know for CISM, but maybe you can try another source of questions and compare your readyness, can you compare your knowledge to a blueprint of the exam and see if you know about each subject ?

Finally, dont try to game the exam by trying to know how many answer you need good or bad, you will never know the mechanics behind that exam and it will only stress you out, focus on having good answer. Most exam include beta or test question that are ignored in the final scoring so trying to calculate bad or uncertain question will not help you!   

• DZA_DZA_ Member Posts: 467 ■■■■■■■□□□
    From the list of materials, you've actually done quite a bit. How well were you scoring on the Q&E database? Are you understanding how those answers were derived for each of the questions? If you were scoring high and you knew how ISACA approaches their questions then I would advise you're in a pretty good spot.  I believe for ISACA, the questions are weighted differently so you can't go into the exam thinking if you get X number of questions right then you'll pass. As long as you tackle each problem directly then I'm sure you'll be in great shape to pass the exam. 
  • marcynow14marcynow14 Member Posts: 6 ■■□□□□□□□□
    edited March 2020
    I've been scoring 80% and above in the database but my concern is now I'm utilized it so much some of those tricky ones that the first time around I would have never guessed I just know. Once I read the answers I understand where they're coming from but I'm not too confident on an exam I'll be able to say (an apple is red but it's MOST likely to be round). It's just super frustrating because I find that knowing there are a bit of "trick" questions thrown in there I tend to overthink and then the simple answers I get wrong.

Did any of you notice if the exam was even trickier or on par with the Q&A database? 

That's true SteveLavoie, that's honestly the kind of person I am, unfortunately. At this point I invested so much time and energy I'd be devastated at failing but you're right not the end of the world and it happens. Fixing this mindset before the exam is the goal though. If there's too much pressure you can try to overperform to a fault.

That's true SteveLavoie, that's honestly the kind of person I am, unfortunately. At this point I invested so much time and energy I'd be devastated at failing but you're right not the end of the world and it happens. Fixing this mindset before the exam is the goal though. If there's too much pressure you can try to overperform to a fault.
    I was like that, and the first time I failed an exam, that reality just struck me in the face and since it helped me a lot. 
    True, CISSP I'd be 100% comfortable with failing first go but I also think going in with the mindset "well if I fail I can .." I've already adopted a defeatist attitude. I'm trying to speak positive vibes into existence right now. Still have this week to prep so any tips would help! I'll be sure to update you guys on Saturday.

Do you think I should push my exam back? The thing is I think I've leveraged most relevant sources and like I said I'm starting to know the answers for Q&A off the top of my head so it's not a resource much anymore. Should I keep my date for this weekend?
    Did any of you notice if the exam was even trickier or on par with the Q&A database? 

It's been a few years since I wrote and pass the exam but if I recall correctly, I would say that the Q&A database is similar in the type of questions being asked.
    Postponing the exam will only make you more anxious. Sure, you will feel relieved at first, but soon you will be in the same position. When I was studying for the CISSP, I kept pushing back the exam for almost 2 years, until I decided to make a first step by doing the SSCP first.. then CISSP 3-4 month later.
    Yeah, you're right that's what I'm thinking. Postponing will only get me more in my head. Thanks, Steve and DZA_ I'll move forward with Saturday. I'm re-reading the manual now. I'm going in with an I got this, calm down attitude but also if you fail you'll try again. I'll be sure to update you all Saturday evening. Thank you for the advice + input.  :) 
    Keep us updated :) 
    Yeah, you're right that's what I'm thinking. Postponing will only get me more in my head. Thanks, Steve and DZA_ I'll move forward with Saturday. I'm re-reading the manual now. I'm going in with an I got this, calm down attitude but also if you fail you'll try again. I'll be sure to update you all Saturday evening. Thank you for the advice + input.  :) 
    No worries, do keep us posted on how it goes.  If it makes it any better, I did the CISSP exam twice after failing it the first time by a few points. This was before they updated it be CAT/3 Hr exam format. Best of luck. 
  • Eagle75799Eagle75799 Member Posts: 12 ■■■□□□□□□□
    edited March 2020
    If you're doing well in the Q&A Database, the questions on the exam are the same type. I extensively studied the Q&A database, and there were no surprises on the exam.
    Hi Eagle75799, yes my main concern is the intentionally trick questions that seem to throw me off most. It also makes me mess up the straight forward ones assuming they're curveballs when they're not. I'll just need to make sure I'm reading everything to a tee. 
    edited March 2020
    Update* passed today  :) thanks for the input
    I felt prepared, there were a couple of questions that made me second guess myself but overall I think I was well prepared. 

Thanks again! Month break and then on to the CISSP I go.  :s

@DZA_
    @SteveLavoie
    Congrats! One milestone down, onwards to next one!