Studying for Security +

wils91wils91 Member Posts: 9 ■■□□□□□□□□
I finally just purchased a voucher for the Security + certification! I am excited for the journey ahead, and I am wondering what study materials and methods you guys used? Thanks for the help!

Comments

• wils91wils91 Member Posts: 9 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Professor Messer is a good start. 
    Been watching his videos!
  • itdeptitdept Registered Users Posts: 273 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Professor Messer will get you a pass for the exam if you pay attention / take notes. I also used Darril Gibson's book and that really helped. I think I ended up only getting about 3 questions wrong out of 90 and that was probably due to Darril's book.
    itdept said:
    Professor Messer will get you a pass for the exam if you pay attention / take notes. I also used Darril Gibson's book and that really helped. I think I ended up only getting about 3 questions wrong out of 90 and that was probably due to Darril's book.
    Thanks! Does the Security+ exam really make your resume stand out? 
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    The Security+ on a resume is a good indication that a job candidate has enough interest in InfoSec to have bothered getting the certification. It does makes your resume standout from other resumes that do not have any security certification. That might be an important detail to some hiring managers.
    JDMurray said:
    The Security+ on a resume is a good indication that a job candidate has enough interest in InfoSec to have bothered getting the certification. It does makes your resume standout from other resumes that do not have any security certification. That might be an important detail to some hiring managers.

Thanks!

• itdeptitdept Registered Users Posts: 273 ■■■■■■□□□□
    The fact I had Security+ was completely ignored by my employer. I do believe Sec+ is required by the DOD for IT workers. Studying for the cert will give you basic knowledge related to security so that is probably the main benefit. I can't speak for recruiters but everything cert helps...
  • jah8887jah8887 Member Posts: 81 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I took the previous Security plus and only used the  Security + book by Daniel Lachance.  https://www.amazon.com/CompTIA-Security-Certification-Practice-SY0-501/dp/1260026906
  • MarioKart64MarioKart64 Registered Users Posts: 15 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I highly recommend the Darril Gibson Security+ book and the Get Certified Get Ahead website. When I prepared for the Security+ I listed to the audio files during the day (I had a very easy job and most of my coworkers listed to music) and did practice tests and flashcards after work and felt very prepared for the exam. 
  • LunchbocksLunchbocks Member Posts: 319 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I am using Darril Gibson's book and Get Certified Ahead website, CBT Nuggets, and Mike Meyer's Udemy class.
    Degree: Liberty University - B.S Computer Science (In Progress)
    Current Certs: CCENT | MCTS | Network+
    Currently Working On: Security+
    2020 Goals: CCNA, CCNP Security, Linux+

• PickleFelixPickleFelix Member Posts: 2 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Currently on chapter 9 on (DG)  Darril Gibson's book, have to say it is well written and easy to understand. I also use Professor Messer security+ training course on youtube. There is a link in DG's book to help with simulation exercises as well.  Good luck