Options

Cheaper Source For Cisco Learning Network Courses

egrizzlyegrizzly Member Posts: 533 ■■■■■□□□□□
When trying to renew your CCNA or CCNP using pre-approved Cisco Continuing Education (CE) courses the cheapest course is $500.00 and can only be taken at the Cisco Learning Network Store.  Some run as high as $1500.  Does anybody know of any cheaper source/Cisco Learning partner to take these pre-approved Cisco courses from?  I included the link to these (super expensive) pre-approved courses below

https://www.cisco.com/c/dam/en_us/training-events/le31/le46/cln/marketing/continuing-education-catalog-sample.pdf
B.Sc (Info. Systems), CISSP, CCNA, CCNP, Security+

Comments

• Options
    thomas_thomas_ Member Posts: 1,012 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I don’t about courses, but Boson has a simulator with labs you can do.
  • Options
    Grafixx01Grafixx01 Member Posts: 109 ■■■□□□□□□□
    If Cisco is only allowing for Cisco classes/courses/other certs to count towards CEUs.... I guess I won't be getting any Cisco certs at all.
  • Options
    DFTK13DFTK13 Member Posts: 176 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I’ve looked into this as well and can’t find anything other than Cisco approved courses directly on their site which are ridiculously expensive. I mean, you have to weigh taking a $300 exam which you’d have to continuously study for to make sure you keep up on the latest topics or you can take a self-paced online course and fulfill most if not all of your CEU requirements. Honestly I look at it as Cisco’s way of letting you buy a renewal. 
    Certs: CCNA(200-301), Network+, A+, LPI Linux Essentials
    Goals: CCNP Enterprise(ENCOR + ENARSI), AWS CSA - Associate, Azure AZ-104, Become better at python, learn docker and kubernetes

Degree: A.S. Network Administration
    Pursuing: B.S. in I.T. Web and Mobile Development Concentration
  • Options
    DFTK13 said:
    I’ve looked into this as well and can’t find anything other than Cisco approved courses directly on their site which are ridiculously expensive. I mean, you have to weigh taking a $300 exam which you’d have to continuously study for to make sure you keep up on the latest topics or you can take a self-paced online course and fulfill most if not all of your CEU requirements. Honestly I look at it as Cisco’s way of letting you buy a renewal. 
    This is part of the issue I have with EC-Council as well. They have CEUs but they amount to such a low number of credits it is ridiculous, however if you just take another one of their exams and pass it, it renews all of your certs. The only difference between EC-Council and Cisco that I see though, from what you're saying, is that they allow you to go outside of themselves to obtain training, albeit for a low number of credits.
  • Options
    beadsbeads Member Posts: 1,531 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Boson software, a second hand piece of physical equipment or three and a book is all I ever used and had no problem. Cybrary.it has coursework for about every possible Cisco subject as well as YouTube (questionable content). Your looking for hands on labs. Books can provide all the theory you want but at the end of the day your going to learn more by doing rather than simply listening to someone on a screen drone on about how to do things with hardware.

- b/eads
  • Options
    @beads

@thomas_

The OP is asking about renewals through CEUs which Cisco now offers for all levels below CCIE since the new exam rollout. Are you saying Boson has a Cisco pre-approved course that will award CEUs to renew Cisco exams? Because I'm pretty familiar with Boson and haven't seen such a thing

Goals: CCNP Enterprise(ENCOR + ENARSI), AWS CSA - Associate, Azure AZ-104, Become better at python, learn docker and kubernetes

• Options
    @Grafixx01

Yeah, the CEUs seem to only renew one cert for the amount of them you get. So for the Cisco exams, its more cost effective to just renew by exam route...I don't know. I think I may use one of their courses to learn about a new technology or a next-level exam while getting the CEUs. Well, Cisco is a corporation who is trying to maximize profits...we have to remember that. 

• Options
    DFTK13 said:
    @Grafixx01

Well, Cisco is a corporation who is trying to maximize profits...we have to remember that. 
    While that part is true, and can be said for just about anyone else out there, I'm going to guess (stab in the dark) that the vast majority of their money generated comes from devices, contracts, etc and NOT certs and CEUs. You can't expect people to get CEUs by essentially having the best option of paying some exorbitant fee of going to another class of yours. Just my 2cents which usually amounts to nothing.
  • Options
    Hawk321Hawk321 Member Posts: 97 ■■■□□□□□□□
    The Cisco courses are extreme cheap !!! I've no idea in which world you live...but 1000$ in avg. is not much money. Even the books will costs you ~ 100 $

Even an INE Course or subscription goes for ~999$ (consider the time you need).  If you can't afford it, go with a book only.

But seriously .... either you calculate your tax deduction or reconsider your ROI.

Those courses normally MAKE money

Degree in
    computer science, focus on IT-Security.
    CCNA R+S and CCNA CyberOPS
    LPIC-1,LPIC-2,LPIC-3: Security
    Ubiquiti: UBRSS+UBRSA
    some other certs...

• Options
    Lol, sure its not much money to have, but sure is alot of money to spend...

• Options
    thomas_thomas_ Member Posts: 1,012 ■■■■■■■■□□
    @DFTK13 - I think I skimmed the post and missed the part about it being for CEUs.