How are you being impacted by COVID-19?

Comments

• UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,564 Mod
    Well we're asked to submit timesheets DAILY. Since we work with clients, some clients postponed work and haven't paid their invoices.

If this go on for longer (and it will), I suspect jobs in my firm will be impacted.

I heard of hiring freeze in some big firms, and job offers being revoked. Contractors may be the first to go...

a couple I know (she works in events management and her husband works in hotel management), they're both gonna lose their job.

Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Check out my YouTube channel: https://youtu.be/DRJic8vCodE 

• kaijukaiju Member Posts: 453 ■■■■■■■□□□
    WFH would only allow me to cover 15% of my workload because the most of the enclaves cannot be accessed via VPN. Right now we are prepping for the worst.
    Work smarter NOT harder! Semper Gumby!
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    GIAC sent out an email about taking proctored exams during this crisis. You can see the GIAC Coronavirus FAQ here: https://www.giac.org/coronavirus-response
  • ps.89ps.89 Member Posts: 47 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I've been pretty fortunate. We were able to stock up on food and supplies pretty early, before the stores cleaned out. My mother-in-law is staying with us to watch our newborn. Our county just issued a mandatory "stay-at-home" order so my entire team started WFH on Wednesday; we actually had a Citrix issue that day, too. Unfortunately, my wife is considered an "essential worker" so they're requiring her to go into work/out in the field.
    2021 Year Goals: CCNP Enterprise Core; finish a Python video course
  • DatabaseHeadDatabaseHead Member Posts: 2,753 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Haven't been tested, it's a pain but I believe we have all had it.  My wife works at a hospital with a fairly large presents in the infectous disease space and oh wow the exposure has been off the charts.  My daughter and I have had it and this damn thing lingers.  I had such a hard time breathing they gave me an EKG just in case it was a heart attack.  

I'm getting out walking and doing yard work now but I'm limiting myself from people just in case.  This has been over a month now.   I don't believe there reports on the timing when the virus arrived.  
    @DatabaseHead hope you and the daughter feel better!! It's possible that you had something else too - who knows. Did it have any long lasting impact on your lungs?

edited March 2020
    UnixGuy said:
    @DatabaseHead hope you and the daughter feel better!! It's possible that you had something else too - who knows. Did it have any long lasting impact on your lungs?
    Thanks for the well wishes.  

Back story....   I live on the east coast of the US in a large hot bed.  My wife works at a hospital that handles infectious diseases, she is not part of that team directly but deals with those patients.  We believe she contracted it prior to the outbreak news in Wuhan.  We think it's been here months before that.  

She had it for about 2 weeks was able to power through (at the time we thought it was the normal flu maybe it was....)

My daughter contracted and then I shortly after ~3 days.  At this time still no test, the Wuhan story was breaking and we were sort of laughing about it saying we had it already.  Of course no disrespect to the fallen victims at this time it wasn't viewed as something as big as it is now....  

I wish I could say I have been diligent wiping the counters down etc...  But we are improving so trying to keep the place sterile.  Washing sheets, blankets etc....   I lived in a 3,800 sqft house so there is a lot to clean, 5 bathrooms and 5 bedrooms.  

Anyway the latest and greatest is my son has the symptoms now, without fever.  He's not allowed to go anyway since he doesn't meet the CDC's 3 conditions. (Note on their site if you have had it and you meet 3 requirements you are free to go back) which I assume in limited capacity.  I wear a m-95 mask when I go out just in case and gloves with plenty of sanitizer.  

We will get through this.  To your point about the lungs, once this thing flattens out I'll make my way to the doctor.  I recently had CT scan on my lungs so I have a great bench mark to compare against.  

I am suffering from 2 symptoms still or after effects is probably a better way to put it.  Weaker cardio.  I used to run 3.5 miles I am walking the first 2 and then jogging the last 1.5.   I don't feel my cardio level is as high, but who knows it could be the pollen etc...   It's ridiuclously high right now.  I'm lethargic.  Just overall tired, I think my body is on the mend but who knows.  Maybe we are reinfecting each other.  Hard to say....   I read studies about this and the last I saw they don't know how long the antibodies last after a recovery.  It could be days or years.   From what I read they don't know.  

• malachi1612malachi1612 Member Posts: 430 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Switzerland is on lock down since Monday till 19th April, bars and shops are closed apart from the supermarkets. Told to work from home until further notice.

Certifications:
    MCSE: Cloud Platform and Infrastructure, MCSA: Windows Server 2016, ITIL Foundation, MCSA: Windows 10, MCP, Azure Fundamentals, Security+.

@DatabaseHead Thanks for sharing mate! I do get hayfever and I'm allergic to pollen as well

we lose cardio quickly but we regain it quickly, I wouldn't worry about it

hope this storm is over soon, it's gonna be a rough 6 months for the world

• DZA_DZA_ Member Posts: 467 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Standard routines changed for the most part -- mandatory work from home where possible across the Enterprise. If and when the Remote Access Services is overloaded, all non business-critical staff are requested to log off. With the self-isolation in play, much of my time is spent rotating on work, exercise, editing old travel photos and doing some studying + general tech reading. Some people mention that they're bored but if you use your time right, you can improve yourself and eventually get a higher paying salary.
  • E Double UE Double U Member Posts: 2,228 ■■■■■■■■■■
    How are you guys doing with your goals during all of this? It isn't of high importance for me right now, but I've been trying to keep my mind busy with AZ-500 just for the sake of not going Corona crazy. I am finding it very had to concentrate though. 
    Alphabet soup from (ISC)2, ISACA, GIAC, EC-Council, Microsoft, ITIL, Cisco, Scrum, CompTIA, AWS
  • Neil86Neil86 Member Posts: 182 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Working strictly from home now. Started seeing staff term emails. Majority of staff are WFH now. Been staying busy with AZ-900 and Sec+
  • DZA_DZA_ Member Posts: 467 ■■■■■■■□□□
    How are you guys doing with your goals during all of this? It isn't of high importance for me right now, but I've been trying to keep my mind busy with AZ-500 just for the sake of not going Corona crazy. I am finding it very had to concentrate though. 

I don't have any goals out per se, maybe try to get a solid grap on the CCSP exam again but nothing much. It's coincidental you mention the AZ-500 as I was watching the LinuxAcademy course on it this morning. Not sure how you're studying for it but the LinuxAcademy course isn't too shabby.
    DZA_ said:

I don't have any goals out per se, maybe try to get a solid grap on the CCSP exam again but nothing much. It's coincidental you mention the AZ-500 as I was watching the LinuxAcademy course on it this morning. Not sure how you're studying for it but the LinuxAcademy course isn't too shabby.
    I had a four-day training from a Microsoft instructor and now just going through the material in Skillpipe which came with a $100 Azure subscription to perform the labs. 
    Alphabet soup from (ISC)2, ISACA, GIAC, EC-Council, Microsoft, ITIL, Cisco, Scrum, CompTIA, AWS

I hear you! Staying focused on the news and what not... and I have a 'non-essential' business to run...it is stressful.

I built a home gym so I'm focusing on my training goals (huge mental relief), and just trying to be positive (the non stop flux on internet Memes is improving my mood).

I have virtual video chat catchups with people - it surprisingly helped.

• JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
    I've been doing absolutely AWFUL. My PWK lab extension has been mostly going to waste unfortunately. It's just super hard to concentrate and even though I have the desire, I just can't focus on it with everything goin on, my kiddos being home, house projects that need to be done, and preparing for a new job. It's just a lot.
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
    Next Up:​ OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
    I am supposed to start a new position on the 30th.   Should be interesting to see how this plays out.  The good news I work in offices tied to a warehouse, so maybe there won't be that many people there.  I noticed there maybe 6 offices and the rest is warehouse space.    
  • Chrisbari14Chrisbari14 Member Posts: 84 ■■■□□□□□□□
    edited March 2020
    *Update* The wife was told yesterday that her office is closing for three weeks. (She's a nurse in a medical office) Was able to use two weeks of PTO for at least a full pay check. Will file for unemployment due to not knowing how long the office will truly be "closed". As for me I'm staying busy. In the medical field, a ton of practices are adopting Telehealth, that allows the Providers to have video appointments with their patients. Hoping we continue to stay busy. I myself work with a nice sized IT department and I support about 15 medical offices so been extremely swamped with work. Not complaining whatsoever. Blessed to have steady work during these times.
  • stryder144stryder144 Member Posts: 1,684 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I am currently working from home but may be out of a job pretty quickly.  Our company, a startup in the healthcare arena, has three pillars...social, mental, and physical interaction...  As such, may be looking for a new job pretty soon.

I found out today that I have, indeed, lost my job.  So...on the hunt for another one.
    The easiest thing to be in the world is you. The most difficult thing to be is what other people want you to be. Don't let them put you in that position. ~ Leo Buscaglia

Connect With Me || My Blog Site || Follow Me
    I am currently working from home but may be out of a job pretty quickly.  Our company, a startup in the healthcare arena, has three pillars...social, mental, and physical interaction...  As such, may be looking for a new job pretty soon.

I found out today that I have, indeed, lost my job.  So...on the hunt for another one.
    Sorry to hear that.  With your skills and experience you'll get up and going.....  
  • azi90azi90 Member Posts: 59 ■■■□□□□□□□
    has anyone been laid off yet? We are in week 3 of Covid19 and my Information security analyst role is already on stake. Kinda bummed that a company would just let go of its employee so fast.

i am guessing information security or security roles are usually seen as burden than necessity unfortunately
  • blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    All IT staff (~55 or so) that have a job not essential to be on-site are working remote at my company.  If there is a position that needs on-site coverage, people rotate in and out of the office on a schedule.  So I have been remote since last Monday.  

Our company is also offering a paid leave policy of up to 10 consecutive working days if impacted by the pandemic to use for any sickness, quarantine, or child care issues, above and beyond any other available PTO.  

I am worried medium term about my position and the company in general.  I am permanent, and I figure the temp-to-perm people will go first, but I am also expensive compared to market for my job title.  I guess we'll see.  I have a strong emergency fund, so we would be OK for a little while.

Best to everyone.  Stay safe!

-blargoe
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
    edited March 2020
    So many contractors are toast it's not even up for debate sadly.  Heck I was just on linkedin and saw a fortune 100 company just layed off 80% of it's contracts.  This is just the start, usually companies wait till quarter 4 to do this to adjust their books, but this year it's going to be much different.  

That's why I am only looking for FTE roles, and recently took one where I am getting "under" paid by about 20%, more like 15% but still underpaid.  

I couldn't risk floating around as a contractor anymore.......
    azi90 said:
    has anyone been laid off yet? We are in week 3 of Covid19 and my Information security analyst role is already on stake. Kinda bummed that a company would just let go of its employee so fast.

i am guessing information security or security roles are usually seen as burden than necessity unfortunately
    Oh yeah, viewed as overhead like most of IT, which is ridiculous.......
    azi90 said:

Haven't heard any layoff talk in my organization (yet). And we have a huge information security group which includes lots of externals so I wonder.
  • yuddhidhtiryuddhidhtir Member Posts: 196 ■■■■□□□□□□
    edited March 2020
    I read it in the news that US government  has passed some budget through which every american is going to receive 1200 dollars  per month. Not sure about the ground reality or minute details but it's a very good step. I hope all the people who lost their jobs will benefit with this.
    “Satisfaction lies in the effort, not in the attainment; full effort is full victory.”
  • azi90azi90 Member Posts: 59 ■■■□□□□□□□
    So many contractors are toast it's not even up for debate sadly.  Heck I was just on linkedin and saw a fortune 100 company just layed off 80% of it's contracts.  This is just the start, usually companies wait till quarter 4 to do this to adjust their books, but this year it's going to be much different.  

That's why I am only looking for FTE roles, and recently took one where I am getting "under" paid by about 20%, more like 15% but still underpaid.  

i would understand if i was contractor too, not saying its right thing to do to them but i lost my  FTE.
    azi90 said:

i would understand if i was contractor too, not saying its right thing to do to them but i lost my  FTE.
    From my perspective I had no choice.  With my wife working covering benefits etc.....   It always made more sense to work short termed contracts and get my billables up there.  But now I am not willing to risk it.   Back to the lower wages, at least the role is very interesting and I should be learning a lot.  I haven't been able to say that for quite sometime, I've been the expert called upon in my most recent roles.  Gotta looks at the positives in situations like these.....  

My thoughts and prayers out to my former contracting brothers and sisters.  
  • JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
    azi90 said:

I think that depends on what aspect of security and also the type of company. I'm starting a new position on the 1st (great timing I know) and I've been in constant contact with my hiring manager. They are only seeing an increase in demand from their customer base due to the DHS hack as well as other things going on in the cyberverse right now. Also the department I'm going to is servicing the existing customer base which is made up of the top institutional companies and agencies/gov in the world. Thankfully it's a rather stable opp that I'm going to. 

On the flipside like you mentioned, there will be a lot of companies that will cut out new security project spending, affecting security vendors, as well as companies that need to cut costs and reduce down to a skeleton crew in cost centers. I do think some of the recent hacks (your Targets, Equifax, etc) will deter companies from cutting out too much on the security side though (maybe I'm being too optimistic here).
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
    Next Up:​ OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
    edited March 2020
    Just saw on LinkedIn Delta is laying off a large number of people.  Found this article about layoffs in general.  Even employees are going to get axed.

In this recession companies aren't going to operate at such a loss.  Unemployment in the US and world for that matter is going to SOAR.  

Stay Strong!

https://www.forbes.com/sites/lisettevoytko/2020/03/25/coronavirus-layoffs-compass-endeavor-latest-to-dismiss-workers-amid-pandemic/#4214850b5d5d