Options

DOD Microsoft Certification Requirements??

gettinoldgettinold Member Posts: 27 ■■■□□□□□□□
edited March 2020 in General Certification
All,

Is there a counterpart for DOD Microsoft Certifications similar to the one that exists in the DOD IA world like this the below....can't posts links yet since I am too new. Any quick help would be appreciated as I am being forced into taking the CISSP which is something I don't want to do. I'd rather make an argument for a Microsoft exam for numerous reasons outside the scope of this post. The problem that I find is getting solid information. Just alot of advertising and very little from the horses mouth!! I thought that I read somewhere that there was and that an MCSE or MCSA was x,y, or z in the DOD world. Extension of DOD 8570 and 8140 it seems.

I found this from the horses mouth back in 2015:...still hunting agressively....gotta make an argument today!

"AP3.2.6. Operating System Requirement. IATs and designated CND-SPs must also obtain certi fi catio ns required to implement the IA requirements for their specific operating system environment (e.g., Microsoft Operating Systems Admi nistrator Certi fication), unless the operating system certification is also on the list of approved DoD IA baselinecerti fications."

Thanks!

Approved Baseline Certifications

IAT Level I
IAT Level II
IAT Level III
A+ CE
CCNA-Security
CND
Network+ CE
SSCP
CCNA Security
CySA+ **
GICSP
GSEC
Security+ CE
CND
SSCP
CASP+ CE
CCNP Security
CISA
CISSP (or Associate)
GCED
GCIH
IAM Level I
IAM Level II
IAM Level III
CAP
CND
Cloud+
GSLC
Security+ CE
CAP
CASP+ CE
CISM
CISSP (or Associate)
GSLC
CCISO
CISM
CISSP (or Associate)
GSLC
CCISO
IASAE I
IASAE II
IASAE III
CASP+ CE
CISSP (or Associate)
CSSLP
CASP+ CE
CISSP (or Associate)
CSSLP
CISSP-ISSAP
CISSP-ISSEP
CSSP Analyst1
CSSP Infrastructure Support1
CSSP Incident Responder1
CEH
CFR
CCNA Cyber Ops
CCNA-Security
CySA+ **
GCIA
GCIH
GICSP
Cloud+
SCYBER
CEH
CySA+ **
GICSP
SSCP
CHFI
CFR
Cloud+
CND
CEH
CFR
CCNA Cyber Ops
CCNA-Security
CHFI
CySA+ **
GCFA
GCIH
SCYBER
CSSP Auditor1
CSSP Manager1

CEH
CySA+ **
CISA
GSNA
CFR
CISM
CISSP-ISSMP
CCISO

Thanks!

Old, burnt out with this field and want it easy just like I did 22 years ago when I started IT. Some things never change. They used to call me a paper MCSE but now they can't stop calling me. What can I say, IT has gotten me through the horrors of life. It has been almost as loyal as man's best friend.

Comments

• Options
    PCTechLincPCTechLinc Member Posts: 646 ■■■■■■□□□□
    You'll have to get one of those baselines within 6 months of getting the position.  The Microsoft certifications are a requirement if you're on a Server team.  At least that's how my organization works.
    Master of Business Administration in Information Technology Management - Western Governors University
    Master of Science in Information Security and Assurance - Western Governors University
    Bachelor of Science in Network Administration - Western Governors University
    Associate of Applied Science x4 - Heald College
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,028 Admin
    Microsoft certs are "vendor-specific" and therefore not acceptable for inclusion on the list of DoD Approved 8570 Baseline Certifications. You won't see VMware, AWS, and most Cisco certs on this list for the same reason.

Whoever is "forcing" you to get the CISSP will need to make the determination if there is an equivalent certification you can obtain instead. It looks like the CompTIA CASP+ CE checks many of the same DDoD 8570 boxes as the CISSP. CASP+ is a fun certification to study (IMHO) and certainly nowhere near as expansive or "dry" as the CISSP.
  • Options
    kaijukaiju Member Posts: 453 ■■■■■■■□□□
    It really depends on the job. 8570/8140 sets the baseline security cert PLUS the tier specific OS cert. You have to read the 8570.01M in its entirety to understand what is needed to meet the baseline requirements.

For example:
    Tier 1 help desk (IAT L1) - A+ and MTA
    Tier 2 Sys Admin (IAT L2) - Sec+ and MCP/MCSA
    Tier 3 Sys Admin (IAT L3) - CASP or higher and MCSE.

Ask if your job is IAM L3! CISSP is not the only cert that satisfies IAM L3 even though most  HR departments and recruiters mistakenly assume that it is.
    Work smarter NOT harder! Semper Gumby!
  • Options
    Thanks for the clarification. It is tough in this case. The know it all boss just wants me to take CISSP classes but not the exam and I can't find a job anywhere else at the moment. I brought up CASP and MCSE and she freaked out. I learned that the second I attempt to make any persuasive argument I become a target and my days are numbered. Maybe I will just renew my MCSE as I study for the CASP and CISSP. At least this is remote work with nothing else to do. Boss is probably just trying to keep us busy and keep us working rather than laid off so I will for once in my life shut up and do the best that I can.

Thanks.
    Old, burnt out with this field and want it easy just like I did 22 years ago when I started IT. Some things never change. They used to call me a paper MCSE but now they can't stop calling me. What can I say, IT has gotten me through the horrors of life. It has been almost as loyal as man's best friend.
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,028 Admin
    They may already have the CISSP training budgeted and would not be able to get other training approved until the 2021 budgeting cycle.

It sounds like your boss is really stressed by the current, big-picture situation and may be looking for another opportunity herself, but would prefer that things just changed for the better.
  • Options
    Thanks brother. I appreciate your thoughts. Hopefully I can find something else soon!