Hypervisor and USBs (disabling them)

Z0sickxZ0sickx Member Posts: 180 ■■■□□□□□□□
Looking for someone to give an authoritative answer on this. The high level question is If you are hosting a Guest OS windows server system and the windows registry key to block USB storage devices is enabled, does that prevent the Hypervisor from actually connecting a USB device to the guest OS? 

Thanks

Tagged:

Comments

• Z0sickxZ0sickx Member Posts: 180 ■■■□□□□□□□
  • SteveLavoieSteveLavoie Member Posts: 1,133 ■■■■■■■■■□
    First... which hypervisor are you using ? I would help to have an answer. 
  • beadsbeads Member Posts: 1,531 ■■■■■■■■■□
    You can only disable USB ports while running a Linux guest (externally) from VMWare Workstation Pro not from Viewer. You would have to disable USB ports in Windows by way of the registry settings internally no matter which version of Workstation. Not entirely sure if you could do so from the EXsi  master or not as I haven't had a need to do so.

I am sure if you searched the VMWare docs its there somewhere.

- b/eads
    beads said:
    You can only disable USB ports while running a Linux guest (externally) from VMWare Workstation Pro not from Viewer. You would have to disable USB ports in Windows by way of the registry settings internally no matter which version of Workstation. Not entirely sure if you could do so from the EXsi  master or not as I haven't had a need to do so.

I am sure if you searched the VMWare docs its there somewhere.

- b/eads
    So its reasonable to say then if you disable to appropriate registry files on the Guest Windows OS then that will prevent any USB pass through? I just read to of SCSI method of connecting that may or may not be prevented by registry. haven't gotten much info on it