How are you being impacted by COVID-19?

Comments

• DZA_DZA_ Member Posts: 467 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Just saw on LinkedIn Delta is laying off a large number of people.  Found this article about layoffs in general.  Even employees are going to get axed.

In this recession companies aren't going to operate at such a loss.  Unemployment in the US and world for that matter is going to SOAR.  

Stay Strong!

https://www.forbes.com/sites/lisettevoytko/2020/03/25/coronavirus-layoffs-compass-endeavor-latest-to-dismiss-workers-amid-pandemic/#4214850b5d5d

I run a Facebook community with over 10k users primarily consisting of interns, university students and folks that have been in the IT  field for less than 3 years. Some of these folks are seeing their internships being cancelled/revoked due to the economic climate that we're going to be seeing over the next while. With that being said, make sure that you guys keep busy, make yourself indispensable and plow through this. Much support to all.

Best,
    D
  • DatabaseHeadDatabaseHead Member Posts: 2,753 ■■■■■■■■■■
    edited March 2020
    DZA_ said:
    Just saw on LinkedIn Delta is laying off a large number of people.  Found this article about layoffs in general.  Even employees are going to get axed.

In this recession companies aren't going to operate at such a loss.  Unemployment in the US and world for that matter is going to SOAR.  

Stay Strong!

https://www.forbes.com/sites/lisettevoytko/2020/03/25/coronavirus-layoffs-compass-endeavor-latest-to-dismiss-workers-amid-pandemic/#4214850b5d5d

I run a Facebook community with over 10k users primarily consisting of interns, university students and folks that have been in the IT  field for less than 3 years. Some of these folks are seeing their internships being cancelled/revoked due to the economic climate that we're going to be seeing over the next while. With that being said, make sure that you guys keep busy, make yourself indispensable and plow through this. Much support to all.

Best,
    D
    I believe it.  I am reading in some situations that new jobs that have been offered and now being put on hold.  I literally just got approved today and extended official greetings from my company for an FTE.  I couldn't be happier, talking about sweating bullets. 

I ended up taking a position aligned more with the business than IT.  I was nervous to continue to operate in a IT business unit.  I had several offers, completely dismissed any contract that was offered (for good reason) and when it came time to look at FTE roles, I really put heavy stock into the business unit the role resided.  

I could no longer operate as a contractor those roles are WAY to violate and in a market like this forget about it.  

One other thing.....  Loved your comment about making yourself indispensable.  I couldn't agree more with you.  That is so critical.  
  • SteveLavoieSteveLavoie Member Posts: 1,133 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I am lucky to be a shareholder of my company, so layoff for me. For now, we are doing "fine" considering the situation. I am doing more support than usual and working from home, but otherwise it is not that bad. I am taking this time to work a bit less as most customer are holding their project. I am keeping my mind busy with an EDX course on cyber-forensic, working on my GIAC GPEN and for tonight I am participating in a SANS CTF. 
  • stryder144stryder144 Member Posts: 1,684 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I am fortunate that even though I was let go on Monday, I was able to get a temp teaching gig for next week.  With luck, we will do fine despite the lack of FTE.  As @SteveLavoie said, keep busy.  I plan to take the RITx Forensics course and will possibly sign up for some courses on Coursera soon.  Right now I am planning out how/what to record for the special needs kids at my church so that they feel supported and loved throughout this odd, odd time we are living in.
    The easiest thing to be in the world is you. The most difficult thing to be is what other people want you to be. Don't let them put you in that position. ~ Leo Buscaglia

Connect With Me || My Blog Site || Follow Me
    @stryder144 I began the RITx Forensics class this week..  first week material is not long and very basic.
  • chickenlicken09chickenlicken09 Member Posts: 537 ■■■■□□□□□□
    edited March 2020
    I have been put on furlough for the next 3 months, what are the realistic expectations of them taking me back? 

Do ya hang tight to see or start sending out the resume (even though a hiring freeze nearly everywhere in my country). Im not in the US.
  • azi90azi90 Member Posts: 59 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I have been put on furlough for the next 3 months, what are the realistic expectations of them taking me back? 

Do ya hang tight to see or start sending out the resume (even though a hiring freeze nearly everywhere in my country). Im not in the US.
    I have been temporary laid off too. I m gonna be realistic and not expect to be back  to work as soon as this covid19 situation is fixed because companies will need time to recover as well. I cant rely on their mercy fo have my job back so ill be applying jobs meanwhile.
    azi90 said:

I have been temporary laid off too. I m gonna be realistic and not expect to be back  to work as soon as this covid19 situation is fixed because companies will need time to recover as well. I cant rely on their mercy fo have my job back so ill be applying jobs meanwhile.

How long is your temp layoff?

azi90 said:

They said end of May. But no one knows for sure. My boss straight up told me to start looking for work and not to rely on the company getting u back
    azi90 said:
    azi90 said:

They said end of May. But no one knows for sure. My boss straight up told me to start looking for work and not to rely on the company getting u back

Are you confident you will get something?

azi90 said:
    azi90 said:

Are you confident you will get something?

Definitely not at this time.
    But sitting on doing nothing for 2 to 3 months and than being told by my company that they decided to convert my temp layoff to permanent, i can't  afford that. My employment insurance will only last 6 to 9 months in total and if i do nothing and lose my employment permanently i ll lose 3 months of employment insurance too. You know what i mean?
    Yes I totally understand.
    @chickenlicken09 it all depend on your confidence of your company to survive that crisis. In Canada, SMB job are heavily helped by the 75% of salary sponsorship from the Federal Gov. So it will help business keep people employed
  • kaijukaiju Member Posts: 453 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Spending more time at home means I have time to work on the space heater....

Retrieved from the destruction pile at work:

Resting in their new home while waiting for other parts to arrive:

We will most likely go into full lockdown next week because the cases on island are starting to rise.
    Work smarter NOT harder! Semper Gumby!
  • DatabaseHeadDatabaseHead Member Posts: 2,753 ■■■■■■■■■■
    edited March 2020
    azi90 said:

While being furlough are you allowed to continue to keep continued employment on your resume?  It's a promise for them to bring you back to work, correct?  

See below.

Furloughs differ from layoffs in that furloughed employees know that they have a job that will resume at some point in the future. While laid-off employees sometimes are brought back to their jobs, it's less likely to be the case.

https://www.thebalancecareers.com/what-are-the-advantages-and-disadvantages-of-furloughs-1918590

I ask, because wouldn't it make you more attractive of a candidate if you are gainfully employed and not showing that short employment effort most recently on your resume?  
    You basically stay on their payroll at a reduced rate depending on what your local government are offering. Theres no guarantee they will take you back, no promises involved. So for me its 3 mths furlough but they could turn around at the end of it and just say nah we still cant afford to bring you back as business has not picked up yet. 
    You basically stay on their payroll at a reduced rate depending on what your local government are offering. Theres no guarantee they will take you back, no promises involved. So for me its 3 mths furlough but they could turn around at the end of it and just say nah we still cant afford to bring you back as business has not picked up yet. 
    Luck you to be getting something atleast. Mine is fully off the payroll but i still have access to companies asset and benefits 
  • UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,564 Mod
    So I find myself with a bit of free time and I think I should study and use the time. Watching the news is just pointless stress at this point.

Any recommendations? What your favourite learning resource now? I'm thinking of learning more cloud security and cloud architecture but I'm open to learning other stuff

What are you all studying?
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Check out my YouTube channel: https://youtu.be/DRJic8vCodE 

• kaijukaiju Member Posts: 453 ■■■■■■■□□□
    350-401 CCNP enterprise core while I fight with my kids and try to do WFH. Luckily I will not have any VTC during this time.
    Work smarter NOT harder! Semper Gumby!
  • KickstoneKickstone Member Posts: 6 ■■■□□□□□□□
    edited March 2020
    I am working for an insurance company, and having the option to do it from home was always normal for us, so not much change here except the quantity of home office days - now at 100 percent.

Many problems with the phone and video conferencing systems now, but nothing serious.

Some smaller projects have to be postponed, like physical pentesting.

Every delivered box has to go into quarantine for a week, which makes it quite complicated to set up new appliances in the respective data centers: Receive, wait one week, configure, send to data center, second quarantine week, ...

Personal issues are way more complicated than business issues - my wife has to take care of her 80y old mother. She had surgery recently and just came out of the hospital, and I have to stay away from my wife to ensure a contamination-free situation - it would kill the old lady most probably.

I'm sleeping in the dining room now. Could be worse. But also better...

Currently, I am studying SANS SEC566 - Implementing and Auditing the CIS Controls. Online Training. 

Still fully employed, I am working less hour but more than enough,  I am doing the RITx Cyber Forensic class, studying for the GIAC GPEN and working on the EJPT
    Still fully employed, I am working less hour but more than enough,  I am doing the RITx Cyber Forensic class, studying for the GIAC GPEN and working on the EJPT
    i just looked up RITx, looks really good. I might do Cybersecurity Risk Management.

It's free!

edited March 2020
    Seriously, I am on my second week of Cyber-Forensic. For now, it is not really challenging, But I still paid to get the verified certificate, at least I wont do it for nothing. 
  • TechGromitTechGromit Member Posts: 2,156 ■■■■■■■■■□
    edited April 2020

Business as usual, but coronavirus positive employees are starting to be reported at several company sites. While they are no longer working while in isolation/recovery makes other employees wonder what there exposure was.  No one was specifically identified for privacy reasons.  Company has started to prepare facilities in case they have to sequester critical employees on-site to keep plants operational.       

https://www.spglobal.com/marketintelligence/en/news-insights/latest-news-headlines/us-utilities-divided-on-plans-to-sequester-essential-employees-57741135

Still searching for the corner in a round room.
  • MrAgentMrAgent Member Posts: 1,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I feel lucky. My wife is getting paid, I still have a job and get to work from home until at least June 10th.
    I am somewhat impacted in that we can't really leave the house much... No gym, no sports for the kids etc.
    Grocery stores have good, but paper supplies are hard to come by. Luckily my wife randomly found a pack of TP while shopping last week.
  • beadsbeads Member Posts: 1,531 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Been working with a third of my team unavailable and one turned useless as that person takes advantage of the situation. Work is now on a 12 hour cycle per day with few breaks outside of coffee and bathroom (due to coffee). I do get to communicate daily with Europe, Asia and Australia because of the loss of personnel! Wooohooo!

I need a vacation from this staycation to be blunt. Wait? When am I not blunt? LOL.
    I logged in to my eLearnsecurity account, last time I logged in was probably 3 yrs ago, I have two courses that haven't touched "PTPv4" and "ARESv1"...

if the situation doesn't change, maybe I'll pick up the Pentesting course and do it for fun...it can't hurt right? even if my current career goals are far from technical and definitely not pentesting oriented but who knows

Lost 50% of my income today, pay cuts.

But I might have some good news soon. I'm not phased.

UnixGuy said:
    Lost 50% of my income today, pay cuts.

But I might have some good news soon. I'm not phased.
    With pay cut what is the work load expectancy in ur role? Are they still expecting u to work full time hours or will it be cut down.
    I lost 50% of my salary, but company expects me to work full time hours still. 
    expected to work 50% less hours...however, to be fair, currently our work load is close to nothing...so it's fair.

honestly, stacking shelves now is more lucrative, but I can't complain. my situation is better than most people