Moving to sysadmin

kosta-kkosta-k Member Posts: 32 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hi,
need your advice what else need to learn in case of getting to sysadmin.
Actually have about 5 years of IT support experience and now moved to new company  - some kind of senior IT support position.
Current knowledge - CCNA RS, Windows server 2012/2016 ( 70-410,411,412 and 70-740,741,742 books read and practiced), exchange 2016 ( basic stuff - like make it send and receive emails), vmware vsphere esxi (#2V0-620 and VCP6-DCV books read + practice), microsoft 365(70-346-347 exams books read/practice a little), azure az-103 exam book read.
So should I go deep in some of aspects of my current knowledge or learn more? Planning to learn AWS ( probably Architect - Associate) and maybe SCCM. 

Comments

• LonerVampLonerVamp Member Posts: 518 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I got nothing for you, as you have a broad range right there. I'd say, do good work at your current company, focus on their priorities. AWS is good.

For being a sysadmin, just make sure things work, are resilient, meet security needs (don't run as local admin if you don't need to, etc). And don't be a cowboy.

Security Engineer/Analyst/Geek, Red & Blue Teams
    OSCP, GCFA, GWAPT, CISSP, OSWP, AWS SA-A, AWS Security, Sec+, Linux+, CCNA Cyber Ops, CCSK
    2021 goals: maybe AWAE or SLAE, bunch o' courses and red team labs?
  • kosta-kkosta-k Member Posts: 32 ■■■□□□□□□□
    thank you.
    so powershell and aws on the way...and will go deeper for new job technologies.

• kosta-kkosta-k Member Posts: 32 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Should I go deeper with all stuff or general knowledge is enough for starting as junior sysadmin or learn more and more? 
  • yuddhidhtiryuddhidhtir Member Posts: 196 ■■■■□□□□□□
    System admin  covers broad range of technologies and it is very difficult to learn all of it.  I will say check what  software your company is using and have a good working-hands on knowledge of it.
    Then have a general knowledge of all the skills  required from a typical system admin that is networking,firewall, scripting, windows\linux server and so on.
    “Satisfaction lies in the effort, not in the attainment; full effort is full victory.”
  • denisehiltondenisehilton Member Posts: 17 ■■■□□□□□□□
    It's always better to master a Domain and then move to the next one. Jack of all trades approach is usually not the better approach in my experience.
  • scascscasc Member Posts: 461 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Check out SANS 505 if Windows is something you are interested in. 506 if UNIX. Will give you a one stop shop solid program for developing your sys admin skills. 
    AWS, Azure, GCP, ISC2, GIAC, ISACA, TOGAF, SABSA, EC-Council, Comptia...