Looking to get started in Cyber Security

sdeyoungsdeyoung Member Posts: 109 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hey all, I'm currently a system administrator but I'm looking to make a shift into the world of Cyber Security. Just looking for suggestions on training & certification. I noticed that the CCNA now includes security. Is it worth getting this to start? Or should I start with CompTIA's Security+? Currently I have a diploma in Network Administration and Security, have my A+, Network+ and MCTS. I was studying to get my MCSA but they recently announced the retirement of this exam hence the shift in something different. I really enjoyed the modules in school we did for the CEH certification. I know this is a pretty broad topic and there are so many different areas to focus on. It can get a little overwhelming. 

Comments

• scascscasc Member Posts: 461 ■■■■■■■□□□
    I would have thought based on your background - Security+, SSCP or even SANS 401. Also depends where your interest lies. If still finding your feet, probably any of the above. If Pen Testing, from CEH you could try ECSA or something from elearnsecurity. 
    AWS, Azure, GCP, ISC2, GIAC, ISACA, TOGAF, SABSA, EC-Council, Comptia...
  • E Double UE Double U Member Posts: 2,228 ■■■■■■■■■■
    edited March 2020
    If your employer is willing to invest in you I would recommend SANS training. SEC504 was my first vendor agnostic information security training (after years of being a Cisco guy) and is still my favorite course until this very day. I mention that because of your interest in CEH. I feel GCIH overlaps with CEH and as someone that has taken both I can say I prefer the SANS course material over EC-Council. If you are funding your own self-study then Security+ could be a good place to begin.
    Alphabet soup from (ISC)2, ISACA, GIAC, EC-Council, Microsoft, ITIL, Cisco, Scrum, CompTIA, AWS
  • michaelhoangmichaelhoang Member Posts: 8 ■■□□□□□□□□
    to get start with cyber security, there is a lot of options that you may try. choosing to start with a certificates such as SANS GSEC, Security+ or something like this. It would help to build a strong basic knowledge of cyber security which is very important in your future career. beside that, taking some training/play ctf would be helpful as well to help you to discover your field of interested in security (forensic, pentest, crypto, regulation, etc.) 
  • beadsbeads Member Posts: 1,531 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Don't forget communication skills such as report writing and grammar are also critical skills for InfoSec people.
  • iBrokeITiBrokeIT Member Posts: 1,318 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Start by looking at job descriptions in your area, determine a path, and work on developing those skills.
    2019: GPEN | GCFE | GXPN | GICSP | CySA+ 
    2020: GCIP | GCIA 
    2021: GRID | GDSA | Pentest+ 
    2022: GMON | GDAT
    2023: GREM  | GSE | GCFA

WGU BS IT-NA | SANS Grad Cert: PT&EH | SANS Grad Cert: ICS Security | SANS Grad Cert: Cyber Defense Ops SANS Grad Cert: Incident Response
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    When someone mentions to me that they want to get into "cybersecurity," I tell them to read through a Security+ study guide and see if the material is interesting to them. If so, cybersecurity might be a good primary career path for them. If they don't find the material that exciting then maybe cybersecurity is better for them as a secondary or tertiary career path behind being a systems admin, network engineer, or software developer. Rather than being a cybersecurity generalist, they can opt to specialize in an area such as system security, network security, or applications (i.e., software development) security. Do what you find interesting and you will enjoy your work.
  • sdeyoungsdeyoung Member Posts: 109 ■■■□□□□□□□
    All good advice! Thanks guys. I do find the material very interesting. I’ve been doing a few security courses I found online and it interests me a lot. Gonna keep plugging away and learn as much as I can.