Options

Steps to land a job

mhoffman20mhoffman20 Registered Users Posts: 2 ■■■□□□□□□□
I have a Bachelors degree in Cybersecurity that I finished last fall. I am trying to make a career change from an auto technician. I also have A+, Network+, and Security+ certs. I have been unable to land a job. There seems to be no such thing as an entry level cyber job (the hope would be a SOC role). There is a skills gap but no desire to train it seems. 

I am asking advice. I am thinking about working towards a CCNA next and possibly trying to land a network engineer/admin role. OR should I work towards a CySA+ and keep trying for the SOC analyst? I do not want to keep pouring money into something where I will not get a job. 

Any thoughts?

Best Answers

• Options
    itdeptitdept Registered Users Posts: 273 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Answer ✓
    "Everyone" wants to get into security. People are probably going to tell you to get a desktop support role for a few years and grind it out. Find a specific area of Cybersecurity and work towards that with experience and certs. Networking is the way to go, jobs are found through your contacts - use them.
    I personally think you will have more "luck" with a CCNA over a CySA+

• Options
    LonerVampLonerVamp Member Posts: 518 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Answer ✓
    Note that CCNA Cyber Ops should not be part of that equation. :)

Security Engineer/Analyst/Geek, Red & Blue Teams
    OSCP, GCFA, GWAPT, CISSP, OSWP, AWS SA-A, AWS Security, Sec+, Linux+, CCNA Cyber Ops, CCSK
    2021 goals: maybe AWAE or SLAE, bunch o' courses and red team labs?

Answers

• Options
    mhoffman20mhoffman20 Registered Users Posts: 2 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Thank you for your responses and advice. I agree the CCNA CyberOps would not work for me at this time. I think it might be best for me to go after a network related role and hopefully leverage that into a Cybersecurity role later.... I just needed to hear it from someone else!
    thank you!!!
  • Options
    mikey88mikey88 Member Posts: 495 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Any IT experience is still better than none. Your goal should be to get your foot in the door with any job.
    Certs: CISSP, CySA+, Security+, Network+ and others | 2019 Goals: Cloud Sec/Scripting/Linux

• Options
    Chrisbari14Chrisbari14 Member Posts: 84 ■■■□□□□□□□
    mikey88 said:
    Any IT experience is still better than none. Your goal should be to get your foot in the door with any job.
    Yea I was told when I was  breaking into IT, your first couple of roles may not be what you're hoping for, but you should be trying to get the experience and go from there. Once you get your foot in the door, you should be able to navigate to your specialty. Patience is needed, especially during this global pandemic going on.