Not a lot of talk about XK0-004.........

ITrascalITrascal Member Posts: 55 ■■■□□□□□□□
I’m assuming since there’s not much study material for the XKO-004 folks aren’t taking it? Would I be correct in this assumption?

Comments

• itdeptitdept Registered Users Posts: 273 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Seems a bit dead on the Linux+ page in general. My recent post had 70 views and 3 comments. There is a little bit of chat on reddit but cert just does not have much interest. I can kinda understand as it is a new cert and probably carries little weight employment wise.
  • charismaticxcharismaticx Member Posts: 160 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I’m constantly checking this forum to see if anyone has taken it. Linux academy created a new course to cover the objectives but it’s not quite finished. It’s definitely on my bucket list to accomplish early next year. 
    Goals: PNPT; OSCP; GPYC; GSE
  • Grafixx01Grafixx01 Member Posts: 109 ■■■□□□□□□□
    What is the difference between the Linux+ and the XK0-004? I thought it was just the newer version of Linux+?
  • DFTK13DFTK13 Member Posts: 176 ■■■■□□□□□□
    edited October 2019
    XK0-004 is CompTIA's official Linux certification, before CompTIA's Linux+ exam was powered by LPI(Linux Professional Institute). This is no longer true and if you want to get the Linux+, you'll have to take the XK0-004 and you'll only get that certifcation, not the LPIC-1 in addition. Anyways, that's what I gather it. 

I'm currently using Linux Academy to study for the XK0-004, it's definitely more to take in over the LPI Linux Essentials. 
    Certs: CCNA(200-301), Network+, A+, LPI Linux Essentials
    Goals: CCNP Enterprise(ENCOR + ENARSI), AWS CSA - Associate, Azure AZ-104, Become better at python, learn docker and kubernetes

Degree: A.S. Network Administration
    Pursuing: B.S. in I.T. Web and Mobile Development Concentration
    Hmm... So then if that's how it is, CompTIA lost the support of LPI to back the cert? Wonder which would be better to get then? 
    They didn't lose the support as far as I know, they decided to make their own complete CompTIA cert that wasn't piggybacking on LPI. CompTIA currently only has one Linux cert and it's pretty much on par with the LPIC-1 in my opinion as my studies go. LPI on the other hand has tiered cert system, that the ones that go up the ladder, LPIC-1, 2, 3 and they get much harder than that, some even say that its on par with Red Hat's certs. 

My reasoning for getting the CompTIA cert is because I want a Linux cert that I can easily maintain on my resume through CEUs as opposed to having to constantly take exams over and over again. Plus it's a stepping stone for the RHCSA, which is the only linux exam I'd ever consider recertifying for through taking a test. 

It's really up to you. 
    Goals: CCNP Enterprise(ENCOR + ENARSI), AWS CSA - Associate, Azure AZ-104, Become better at python, learn docker and kubernetes

After sitting through an official Red hat system administration course I feel more confident in the new material. The red hat course covered the same material that Linux Academy offers. Two more weeks of lab time and I feel confident I can sit through the exam. 
    After sitting through an official Red hat system administration course I feel more confident in the new material. The red hat course covered the same material that Linux Academy offers. Two more weeks of lab time and I feel confident I can sit through the exam. 
    Nice tip, good to hear. Sounds like I can get another cert
    The Red Hat System Administration cert does interest me in terms of name value. However, I'm also looking at what's the best way to maintain the certification. It's one of the reasons why the Cisco certifications didn't catch my eye until Cisco announced their continuing education as well. 
  • LonerVampLonerVamp Member Posts: 518 ■■■■■■■■□□
    edited October 2019
    Just to piggy-back onto a thread of this topic, but I agree that the RHCSA is the goal and the one someone would typically want to renew or maintain. It's like the CISSP milestone for security folks. It's the one that will get on job descriptions and opens almost every Linux Admin door.

Linux+ in the former incarnation was nice for getting two certs in one, and the CompTia portion was lifetime. These days if I had to choose Linux+ or LPIC-1, I suppose it would depend if there's a track in CompTia that I'd like to do. Personally, I'd probably do both while working up to the Red Hat or Linux Foundation sides. (Probably Red Hat since I'm US and LFCS has limited testing centers.)

Security Engineer/Analyst/Geek, Red & Blue Teams
    OSCP, GCFA, GWAPT, CISSP, OSWP, AWS SA-A, AWS Security, Sec+, Linux+, CCNA Cyber Ops, CCSK
    2021 goals: maybe AWAE or SLAE, bunch o' courses and red team labs?
    I just passed the new Linux + exam today and I have to admit it was pretty rough. There was a few things that I wasn't expecting. I"m definitely glad I can scratch it off the list. 
  • mgmguy1mgmguy1 Member Posts: 485 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I took the Linux Essentials back in late 2019 and passed. I plan on taking the LPIC-1 course in April or May. On the few Linux Job Interviews I had I was asked if I had a Comptia A +, Net + or Security + but Comptia Linux + never came up and LPIC 1&2 did as well as RHCE. Just an observation. 
    "A lot of fellows nowadays have a B.A., M.D., or Ph.D. Unfortunately, they don't have a J.O.B."

Fats Domino
    The infamous CompTIA trio are considered the standard for most basic help-desk employers from what I’ve seen.  They establish that foundational knowledge for someone new in in the IT world. Those Linux certifications are only appealing to those who manage Linux based servers. 
    As far as the “trio” goes, the first two(A+, Net+) did nothing for me as far as jobs and ROI. I didn’t get noticed until I had a Cisco cert. Sure they’re better than nothing, but when people talk about CompTia A+, Net+ as an option for working in the private sector, I always point to vendor specific certs as a better path. Not saying you won’t learn from CompTia, it’s just you’d take better advantage of your time to go vendor specific and move up a lot faster. 

• shochanshochan Member Posts: 1,004 ■■■■■■■■□□
    ^BUT don't you think you learned something by taking A+ or Net+??  or was it just fluff & stuff you already knew?
    CompTIA A+, Network+, i-Net+, MCP 70-210, CNA v5, Server+, Security+, Cloud+, CySA+, ISC² CC, ISC² SSCP
    I learned stuff from them, yes, no question about it. But I’m speaking in terms of actually getting a job and how to manage your time wisely, in my experience they did nothing for me regarding that. I learned everything in my CCNA pursuit that I had already learned in Net+ and more. 

I’m just saying that looking back, I felt I would’ve saved a lot of time by skipping A+, Net+ and invested my time in learning the vendor specific ones, sure the learning curve is a bit higher but honestly not that much in my opinion. From my standpoint, I value my time, especially now that I’m about to enter my 30s.  

• JugglingRefereeJugglingReferee Member Posts: 49 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Being in quarantine, I am studying Linux+ (and a cloud course too) with ITpro.TV.

I'm looking forward to writing the exam.
  • JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
    DFTK13 said:
    As far as the “trio” goes, the first two(A+, Net+) did nothing for me as far as jobs and ROI. I didn’t get noticed until I had a Cisco cert. Sure they’re better than nothing, but when people talk about CompTia A+, Net+ as an option for working in the private sector, I always point to vendor specific certs as a better path. Not saying you won’t learn from CompTia, it’s just you’d take better advantage of your time to go vendor specific and move up a lot faster. 
    I feel the same way. I didn't have the trio but had Network+ and Security+ and they did nothing for me nor were ever mentioned in any interview or by any hiring manager. What I will say, is that the knowledge gained from them is valuable though. My advice is always if you are looking to transition from a non-tech field and start at the very bottom as that is the only way you are able to break into IT in your market, then study for and take the CompTIA trio. Otherwise, study for the certs but save the money on the exams. Use that knowledge to then move into a vendor specific cert, and specifically a networking or systems related cert, so basically Microsoft or Cisco. 
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
    Next Up:​ OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
    Had a similar experience. No one cared about A+, Security+, etc. Company was more worried about ITIL and even in the interview process that never came up. When a larger client wanted us to have ITIL it was a priority.
    Being in quarantine, I am studying Linux+ (and a cloud course too) with ITpro.TV.

I'm looking forward to writing the exam.
    Same here! I have the ITPro.TV Linux+ one but I'm getting annoyed with it. It bugs me that the old guy on the left like asks the instructor questions, then he covers the topic. I'm sitting here like, "I'd rather be doing DbPP (Death by PowerPoint!" than listening to the way they do it!
  • JugglingRefereeJugglingReferee Member Posts: 49 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I think Zach and Don present it in that fashion on purpose.  If there is a show host (ie.  the 2-person format), you have to have the "other guy" involved.  I've seen some shows, including a couple of ITpro.tv episodes, where the host says very little, and it seems very odd.

Having a little back and forth helps in the delivery, imho.  I use it for imagery when studying away from the videos, and when writing the exam.
  • shochanshochan Member Posts: 1,004 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Has anyone used Gibson's new Linux material?  Wondered if $20 was a great buy or not...Any other new Linux material worth mentioning?  if so, please post!  Thanks!
    CompTIA A+, Network+, i-Net+, MCP 70-210, CNA v5, Server+, Security+, Cloud+, CySA+, ISC² CC, ISC² SSCP
    Linux Academy was all I needed. The only thing I wish they covered more was scripting. 

• SteveLavoieSteveLavoie Member Posts: 1,133 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I think Zach and Don present it in that fashion on purpose.  If there is a show host (ie.  the 2-person format), you have to have the "other guy" involved.  I've seen some shows, including a couple of ITpro.tv episodes, where the host says very little, and it seems very odd.

Having a little back and forth helps in the delivery, imho.  I use it for imagery when studying away from the videos, and when writing the exam.
    IT Pro.TV format is easier to watch for 2-3h at a time than 2 or 3 h of Pluralsight.  You can put IT Pro.TV in the backbround of your workday like any tv show and grab some tidbits while working. You can't do that with Pluralsight, maybe if english is your native language, but not in my case.