Options

Is being self employed a good idea?

Connor2kwikConnor2kwik Member Posts: 43 ■■■□□□□□□□
I'm majoring in CompSci cause I want to be a software developer. I got arrested a few years ago and even though I didn't get convicted and the arrest got expunged I know there's no chance of me landing a job after college. I was wondering is it a good idea being self employed? 

Comments

• Options
    Danielm7Danielm7 Member Posts: 2,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    even though I didn't get convicted and the arrest got expunged I know there's no chance of me landing a job after college
    Why not?
  • Options
    tedjamestedjames Member Posts: 1,179 ■■■■■■■■□□
    You can still get a job. Several years ago, I was tasked with deciding whether we should hire a penetration tester under similar circumstances. He was totally up front about what happened. I made the decision to hire him, and he turned out to be an incredible tester with great integrity. I told him that his being honest made a huge difference.

However, a former friend, a talented developer making a massive salary at a big company, committed a felony and was fired and did time. When he was released, the best job he could get was installing cable TV on a contract basis making something like $16 per hour.

I say go for it. Finish your degree. In the meantime, talk about it with a guidance counselor or your academic advisor at your school. I imagine they'll have great advice for you.
  • Options
    MeanDrunkR2D2MeanDrunkR2D2 Member Posts: 899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    If there was no conviction and the arrest was expunged, why couldn't you land a job?  Being self employed with only a degree and little to no experience will be difficult and not easy.   Shoot for the stars, even if that comes out somewhere along the road, having no conviction and it expunged should leave most doors open.  
  • Options
    LonerVampLonerVamp Member Posts: 518 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I'm also assuming you're a minor, so even if something were found, it would be sealed? I don't really know how these things work.

Security Engineer/Analyst/Geek, Red & Blue Teams
    OSCP, GCFA, GWAPT, CISSP, OSWP, AWS SA-A, AWS Security, Sec+, Linux+, CCNA Cyber Ops, CCSK
    2021 goals: maybe AWAE or SLAE, bunch o' courses and red team labs?
  • Options
    iBrokeITiBrokeIT Member Posts: 1,318 ■■■■■■■■■□
     I know there's no chance of me landing a job after college. 
    I'm going to call BS on that statement.
    2019: GPEN | GCFE | GXPN | GICSP | CySA+ 
    2020: GCIP | GCIA 
    2021: GRID | GDSA | Pentest+ 
    2022: GMON | GDAT
    2023: GREM  | GSE | GCFA

WGU BS IT-NA | SANS Grad Cert: PT&EH | SANS Grad Cert: ICS Security | SANS Grad Cert: Cyber Defense Ops SANS Grad Cert: Incident Response
  • Options
    MeanDrunkR2D2MeanDrunkR2D2 Member Posts: 899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Also to add on.   I know many who have had felony convictions that currently hold TS security clearances.   People make mistakes and the ones that learn and grow from those mistakes will get opportunities to have these good jobs out there.   Don't give up and attempt to start a business without having deep experience as it will just not be good for you. 
  • Options
    denisehiltondenisehilton Member Posts: 17 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Consider it a blessing that you don't have to go through jobs where you can't do your own think because you have to do what your boss tells you to do. You get to be your own boss. Embrace it.