Protocols and Port numbers

Omega4713Omega4713 Member Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
So I'm currently studying for the A + certification, and the book I am using listed Protocols and Port numbers but didn't get too deep or detailed. So how much do I need to concentrate on and memorize port numbers for the test?
Tagged:

Comments

• JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    The Transport layer port numbers are associated with application-layer communications protocols and there are a lot of them. Start by learning the numbers of the most popular protocols first (Telnet, FTP, HTTP, HTTPS, SSH, etc.).

The Network layer protocol numbers are used to describe the Transport protocol contained within an IP packet. There are only two important ones--can you guess?
  • yoba222yoba222 Member Posts: 1,237 ■■■■■■■■□□
    There are many things on the A+ that I memorized and forgot many years ago. Definitely not port numbers though. This is something that I always deal with, day after day. Memorizing the top 50 or so port numbers is a very good idea and will stick with you in just about every aspect of a technical IT career in my experience.
    A+, Network+, CCNA, LFCS,
    Security+, eJPT, CySA+, PenTest+,
    Cisco CyberOps, GCIH, VHL,
    In progress: OSCP
  • itdeptitdept Registered Users Posts: 273 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Just learn the most common important ones starting at 20. You will need to know them if you want to progress in your studies and there are about 30 to learn for a test like A+. They will come up in other certifications like CCNA, Security+, etc so your efforts are not wasted.
  • Omega4713Omega4713 Member Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Is there a website that has all of them listed or a flash card option to help memorize them?
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    All A+ study materials will have a listing of common port numbers that you should memorize. What materials are you using to study? I would rely on standard materials, such as the Sybex A+ books or Professor Messer on YouTube and not study notes that people post in Pastebin and Quora.
    JDMurray said:
    All A+ study materials will have a listing of common port numbers that you should memorize. What materials are you using to study? I would rely on standard materials, such as the Sybex A+ books or Professor Messer on YouTube and not study notes that people post in Pastebin and Quora.
    I use Professor Messer and my book is Exam Cram
  • E Double UE Double U Member Posts: 2,228 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Omega4713 said:
    So I'm currently studying for the A + certification, and the book I am using listed Protocols and Port numbers but didn't get too deep or detailed. So how much do I need to concentrate on and memorize port numbers for the test?
    Don't commit them to memory just for this test as you will encounter them on future exams as well (depending on your plans) and your career. Knowing ports has been relevant in my career since I got into networking in 2006 and still relevant right now in my information security role. Knowledge of ports/protocols was also required on at least six exams I have taken since 2015 (CEH and all five GIAC exams). 
    Alphabet soup from (ISC)2, ISACA, GIAC, EC-Council, Microsoft, ITIL, Cisco, Scrum, CompTIA, AWS
    Omega4713 said:
    Don't commit them to memory just for this test as you will encounter them on future exams as well (depending on your plans) and your career. Knowing ports has been relevant in my career since I got into networking in 2006 and still relevant right now in my information security role. Knowledge of ports/protocols was also required on at least six exams I have taken since 2015 (CEH and all five GIAC exams). 
    I get what you're saying but being that I have to know them to pass the test, for the time being  I have to memorise just cause. Btw,after the A+ I plan to get, Network+, Security + 
  • SteveLavoieSteveLavoie Member Posts: 1,133 ■■■■■■■■■□
    As many said, that kind of information will serve you more than most A+ material.   Also, I consider that those question(those just requiring some memorization) as easy question that consolidate your chance to succeed. You can't have a different interpretation on which port is associated to a service, you must succeed to those kind of question.