Options

CEH Exam fee and pre-requisite

uchihadaveuchihadave Member Posts: 16 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hi guys,

I'm new to Cybersecurity and planning to take CEH as my first cybersec cert. 

https://cert.eccouncil.org/application-process-eligibility.html?id=ceh

So the above site mentioned that 2 years of infosec working experience which I don't have. But if I understand correctly, if we take their accredited training class, then we can exempt from those 2 years of infosec working experience?

Also, how much does it cost to take the exam and obtain the cert? Some people say $500, some said $950. I'm confused. 

Comments

• Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,028 Admin
    According to the CEH exam registration page at Pearson Vue, the cost to take 312-50: Certified Ethical Hacker Exam is USD $1199. That does not include the non-fundable $100 fee just to apply to take the CEH exam.

The lesser costs posted were probably from years ago before EC-Council jacked-up their prices when the CEH was accepted by the US DoD.
  • Options
    itdeptitdept Registered Users Posts: 273 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Why CEH as your first cybersec cert? Have you had a cybersecurity role before? I've seen quite a bit of feedback about CEH not being worth it.
  • Options
    uchihadaveuchihadave Member Posts: 16 ■■□□□□□□□□
    The reason why I want to take CEH is because most IT security jobs in my area is looking for CEH, CISSP, CISA instead of Comptia certs.  CEH is like the A+ cert of IT support, and for some reason HR prefer this cert over comptia security+ in my area.
  • Options
    shochanshochan Member Posts: 1,004 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Avoid this cert - not even worth it
    CompTIA A+, Network+, i-Net+, MCP 70-210, CNA v5, Server+, Security+, Cloud+, CySA+, ISC² CC, ISC² SSCP
  • Options
    E Double UE Double U Member Posts: 2,229 ■■■■■■■■■■
    The reason why I want to take CEH is because most IT security jobs in my area is looking for CEH, CISSP, CISA instead of Comptia certs.  CEH is like the A+ cert of IT support, and for some reason HR prefer this cert over comptia security+ in my area.

If you want it only to check a box, then get it fast and move on to something else to wash the stink off. 

Alphabet soup from (ISC)2, ISACA, GIAC, EC-Council, Microsoft, ITIL, Cisco, Scrum, CompTIA, AWS
  • Options
    denisehiltondenisehilton Member Posts: 17 ■■■□□□□□□□
    There is no pre-requisite for the CEH exam but you need to have a general understanding of how Computer systems and the Internet works.
  • Options
    Crucio666Crucio666 Member Posts: 91 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I suggest the Comptia Security+ as your first exam to get a grip on terms and lay a foundation before you start the CEH. The CEH has a focus point on the tools you need to identify and attempt successful attacks.