Hope Everyone is well.

BillChaseBillChase Member Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
New here and just wanted to say hello.  Just got out of college after turning 45. Currently I'm the head of the IT dept with my degree in Cybersecurity.  So now that I am out of school I'm studying for my CCNA. Trying to stay motivated lol. Glad I found this site. 

Comments

• itdeptitdept Registered Users Posts: 273 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Welcome aboard, you seem to have an unusual career path. Have you worked in IT for long? What made you decide to go to college in your 40's?
  • Neil86Neil86 Member Posts: 182 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Welcome and congrats on the degree.
  • UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,564 Mod
    edited May 2020
    Welcome to the forums, we're glad to have you here. Please share with us your journey :) I learn something new every day here!
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Check out my YouTube channel: https://youtu.be/DRJic8vCodE 

• BillChaseBillChase Member Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Actually I was in IT during all my 20's and part of my 30's. Decided to jump into real estate until a few years ago I decided IT is more for me. 
  • DZA_DZA_ Member Posts: 467 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Welcome to the forums Bill! What are your plans after obtaining CCNA? 
  • BillChaseBillChase Member Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    DZA_ Thank You. Currently I'm going back over all the stuff that we had in Cisco Academy as well as taking ccna class via CBTnuggets.  I'm also reading Wendell Odoms book. 
  • itdeptitdept Registered Users Posts: 273 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Boson practice tests will help immensely for CCNA imo. David Bombal on udemy is also good value. Look for a deal as they sometimes come on sale
  • UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,564 Mod
    BillChase said:
    Actually I was in IT during all my 20's and part of my 30's. Decided to jump into real estate until a few years ago I decided IT is more for me. 

that's an interesting path that I nearly walked...except in my case covid happened so I stayed put. Good to know that you were able to go back to IT with ease
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Check out my YouTube channel: https://youtu.be/DRJic8vCodE 

• DatabaseHeadDatabaseHead Member Posts: 2,753 ■■■■■■■■■■
    edited May 2020
    OP I had a crazy path myself, started out in HR, Supply Chain, IT, Real Estate (leasing as well and property management), IT, Data Management, Analytics, Business Intelligence, Financial Analysis, Enterprise Architecture, Pharmacy and Drug Analysis.  

Talk about all over the map.  I think I learn fairly quickly and like to get into new efforts and work them for 6 month to 2 years then it's time to look for something else........

My dream job is to work from a strategic level on building out a large scale data program to help enable the workforce to have it at their finger tips to make strong decisions.