Passed CCNA 200-125 - 9/3/19

That Random GuyThat Random Guy Member Posts: 69 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hello,

I passed my CCNA exam today where I barely passed with a score only 30 points above the pass-mark. I timed-out with 5 questions remaining/unanswered.

My Resources/Study-Material:
4 x Cisco Netacad Courses for R&S
1 x CCNA R&S Practice Exams text (Amazon)
1 x CCNA R&S Official Cert Guide text (Amazon)
1 x Measureup practice exams purchased through Pearson from 1st attempt
2 x University classes directly using Netacad resources to teach R&S

I think it goes without saying that I could "kind of" substitute the experience of Cisco R&S with the fact that I had classes in uni that directly covered the material.

Do I know everything that Cisco themselves probably assumed a cert holder should know? Probably not.

Do I know everything that employers would seek in a Cisco cert holder? IDK—but I'm willing to guess no.

I took this same exam in June and failed not too far from the pass-mark. I took the past two months to study on the topics I could remember from the first attempt (for which I was unfamiliar with). Either it paid off or I simply recognized something similar from the first attempt.

Once again, I can't say I'm all too pleased with the exam in that it isn't really putting the best questions it could ask. I realize perhaps I think this way because of the exam formats I was exposed to on Netacad and Measureup, but that doesn't really leave any excuse for the questions I received. That's all I'll say as I already voiced my opinion the first time and it's pretty much the same. I do not like nor approve of one-size-fits-all mentalities and assuming everyone can finish simulation questions in the same amount of time is ridiculous.

Summing it up:
You can say I took a year to prep based on previous coursework, another 2 months revisiting the same material on Netacad, and then another 2 months revisiting after attempt #1.

All in all, it was still better than the CISSP but it still lacks proper assessment/refinement. Not everyone is going to take <5 min to finish simlets. It's just a fact.

Comments

• SpiegelSpiegel Member Posts: 322 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Congrats on the pass!
    Degree: WGU B.S. Network Operations and Security [COMPLETE]
    Current Certs: A+ | N+ | S+ | Cloud Essentials+ | Project+ | MTA: OSF | CIW: SDA | ITIL: F | CCENT | CCNA R&S | CCNA | LPI Linux Essentials
    Currently Working On: JNCIA-MistAI

2022 Goals: JNCIA-MistAI [ ]
    Future Certs: CCNP Enterprise
  • Jon_CiscoJon_Cisco Member Posts: 1,772 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congrats on the pass.

The learning is in the journey not the exam. Scores don't really matter your future employers will know you have exposure to the material which is what is really important.
  • ciscosoldierciscosoldier Member Posts: 11 ■■□□□□□□□□
  • thomas_thomas_ Member Posts: 1,012 ■■■■■■■■□□
  • dextermcsadextermcsa Registered Users Posts: 5 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats. I re-certified (and passed) CCNA R&S this afternoon.  The stuff was tough, really tough ! I have 5 years of cisco practice, and I prepared for 3 months. I used one book, and several internet resources like Keith Barker youtube videos. Be prepare for labs stuff; they are not difficult but know your commands. It is preferable to have at least 2 ways (2 commands) to get what you are looking for. This afternoon, one command was not activated (idk why), and I had to use another command to get what I needed. My friends, I will never say this more.."show run" is your best friend. I wish all of you good luck.
  • That Random GuyThat Random Guy Member Posts: 69 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Not gonna lie, I'm 95% sure on my format of the exam, my simlet/lab questions were very solvable thanks to "show run". So, I definitely second that but knowing the commands is a must for those questions. Good advice—thanks! :smile:

• dextermcsadextermcsa Registered Users Posts: 5 ■■■□□□□□□□
    @That Random Guy. I guess you passed the exam. What I meant was that always start with "show run" then use the specific command(s) to solve the questions. Of course, "show run" won't give you all you want, but that is the great point to start. For example, if you want to see the EIGRP k-values, "show run" won't give you that !
  • impelseimpelse Member Posts: 1,237 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats

Stop RDP Brute Force Attack with our RDP Firewall : http://www.thehost1.com
    It is your personal IPS to stop the attack.