Wha are few US public universities offering Masters In Cyber Security

egrizzlyegrizzly Member Posts: 533 ■■■■■□□□□□
With such a shortage in qualified cybersecurity workers in the US population I'm baffled at why their are so few public universities offering Masters degrees in cybersecurity.  For instance, all throughout the state of Texas, only UTD (University of Texas at Dallas) offers a Masters of Science in Cyber Security, Technology, and Policy.  No other public universities in Texas offer an equivalent degree.

Ok, pls note very carefully that I'm referring specifically to state-run universities.  Among the private universities their's an abundance of graduate degrees in cyber security.  
B.Sc (Info. Systems), CISSP, CCNA, CCNP, Security+

Comments

• iBrokeITiBrokeIT Member Posts: 1,318 ■■■■■■■■■□
    egrizzly said:
    With such a shortage in qualified cybersecurity workers in the US population I'm baffled at why their are so few public universities offering Masters degrees in cybersecurity. 
    The shortage isn't for entry level talent and with only a degree, it is for positions that require experience and a high degree of specialization. Few employers are interested in gambling on talent for a security role that have never held an IT position.  More Cybersecurity degrees aren't going solve the issue.
    egrizzly said:
    Ok, pls note very carefully that I'm referring specifically to state-run universities.  Among the private universities their's an abundance of graduate degrees in cyber security.  
    Due to the rapid pace of change and amount of effort to stay current, most state run universities would struggle to stay current and relevant with their offerings so they focus on other areas.  All's I'm saying is that public academia doesn't focus on new curriculum development compared to private institution which tend to be more market demand based.
    2019: GPEN | GCFE | GXPN | GICSP | CySA+ 
    2020: GCIP | GCIA 
    2021: GRID | GDSA | Pentest+ 
    2022: GMON | GDAT
    2023: GREM  | GSE | GCFA

WGU BS IT-NA | SANS Grad Cert: PT&EH | SANS Grad Cert: ICS Security | SANS Grad Cert: Cyber Defense Ops SANS Grad Cert: Incident Response
  • egrizzlyegrizzly Member Posts: 533 ■■■■■□□□□□

Very insightful @iBrokeIT ....kudos to you.  I guess their private peers are more agile then.  It could also explain why private colleges are much more expensive.
  • yoba222yoba222 Member Posts: 1,237 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Cybersecurity jobs are very hands-on, practical knowledge and experience things. Traditional degrees are more about foundational knowledge. Random analogy -- sort of like getting a masters degree in underwater welding. It just doesn't make a whole lot of sense to attempt to teach so many specific technical things in the brick and mortar way. And then for the university to go out and find half a dozen underwater welding experts who are also willing to make a pay cut to teach the classes -- all so the university can try and profit on the cybersecurity popularity surge by sticking students (that would be better suited in a vocational school) by rushing out a new cybersecurity degree program.
    A+, Network+, CCNA, LFCS,
    Security+, eJPT, CySA+, PenTest+,
    Cisco CyberOps, GCIH, VHL,
    In progress: OSCP
  • AverageJoeAverageJoe Member Posts: 316 ■■■■□□□□□□
    egrizzly said:
    With such a shortage in qualified cybersecurity workers in the US population I'm baffled at why their are so few public universities offering Masters degrees in cybersecurity.  For instance, all throughout the state of Texas, only UTD (University of Texas at Dallas) offers a Masters of Science in Cyber Security, Technology, and Policy.  No other public universities in Texas offer an equivalent degree.

I just checked the first four Texas public university web sites that came to mind and on their web sites I found:

UT San Antonio has an MS in Information Technology with a concentration in Cyber Security.  

UT Austin has an MS in Computer Science with a concentration in Cybersecurity.

Texas A&M has a Master's in Cybersecurity Engineering.

Texas A&M San Antonio has a MS in Computer Science with a concentration in Cyber Security.

All seem to be further expanding their cyber security offerings as well.  I'd bet they're not unique in doing so.  

• AverageJoeAverageJoe Member Posts: 316 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Also noticed after my last post that in addition to the MSIT-Cyber Security, UTSA also has an MS in Cybersecurity Science.  
  • egrizzlyegrizzly Member Posts: 533 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Also noticed after my last post that in addition to the MSIT-Cyber Security, UTSA also has an MS in Cybersecurity Science.  
    hmmm....interesting.