Options

CEH - What materials to use and how long to prepare

wasiniwasini Registered Users Posts: 6 ■■■□□□□□□□
I am an Auditor and although I have CISA, CRISC and CISM I am planning to take the CEH exams in July, 2020. Please what materials do I use that will make me ace the exams. Also, where do I source for study materials and what is minimum time required to prepare for the exam. Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    shochanshochan Member Posts: 1,004 ■■■■■■■■□□
    don't do it, go for OSCP, CySA, or Pentest instead...
    CompTIA A+, Network+, i-Net+, MCP 70-210, CNA v5, Server+, Security+, Cloud+, CySA+, ISC² CC, ISC² SSCP
  • Options
    KyloQuadrenKyloQuadren Member Posts: 8 ■■■□□□□□□□
    edited April 2020
    If for some reason you are committed to getting CEH...I used 2 resources:
    1. CEH Mcgraw Hill Exam Questions by Walker (Golden and red books) -- https://www.amazon.com/Certified-Ethical-Hacker-Practice-Fourth-ebook/dp/B07SBLPHG9/ref=sr_1_1?crid=1TWAL7NB8PWG&dchild=1&keywords=ceh+practice+exams&qid=1586064175&sprefix=ceh+prac%2Caps%2C186&sr=8-1
    --Used this to review sections to ensure familiarity and drive down when I failed a particular section...(ie: Cloud Security, etc)
    2. ITPROTV
    --My company got me an account and whatever section I needed to brush up on based on #1 exam sections I would deep dive on in the videos
    --Also of note, ITPROTV has a practice exam that is phenomenal.

Adding some edits to account for your question on time period--

I took one boot camp style 3 weeks where every evening after work I took a practice exam and wherever I failed I watched every video in that section for ITPROTV and took notes. Afterwards I re-took that exam to ensure understanding of content.
  • Options
    yoba222yoba222 Member Posts: 1,237 ■■■■■■■■□□
    You know that scene from Mr. Robot, where the "Auditor" buys a mix tape off the street from someone . . . 
    A+, Network+, CCNA, LFCS,
    Security+, eJPT, CySA+, PenTest+,
    Cisco CyberOps, GCIH, VHL,
    In progress: OSCP
  • Options
    E Double UE Double U Member Posts: 2,229 ■■■■■■■■■■
    edited April 2020
    I passed in 2016 and did a write-up on it that mentioned the topics I saw. Not sure how much it has changed by I would imagine a lot of the topics are the same. Know recent vulnerabilities, common ports, viruses, tools (especially Nmap), attacks, incident handling steps, etc. Would be good to be familiar with the most popular tools listed on https://sectools.org/

All In One exam guide by Matt Walker is the only book I would recommend. I also used Boson practice exams.The minimum time to prepare for any exam is however long it takes you to feel comfortable with the material. 

Disclaimer: I completed GCIH a year before taking CEH and there was a large overlap in material so I went through the Matt Walker material rather quickly.
    Alphabet soup from (ISC)2, ISACA, GIAC, EC-Council, Microsoft, ITIL, Cisco, Scrum, CompTIA, AWS
  • Options
    wasiniwasini Registered Users Posts: 6 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Many thanks for your comments and I have made up my mind to write the CEH exam.

What study guide is recommended for the CEH exam because the CEHv10 e courseware from the EC Council costs $850. Will the CEHv10 e courseware from the EC Council  be sufficient to pass the exam.   
  • Options
    Matt Walker books published by McGraw Hill which both Kylo and myself have mentioned in this thread.
    Alphabet soup from (ISC)2, ISACA, GIAC, EC-Council, Microsoft, ITIL, Cisco, Scrum, CompTIA, AWS
  • Options
    charismaticxcharismaticx Member Posts: 160 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I took the exam shortly after I had passed the GCIH. There was so much overlap between the two. The sybex book was all I used to review the material. CEH was relatively easy. 
    Goals: PNPT; OSCP; GPYC; GSE
  • Options
    itdeptitdept Registered Users Posts: 273 ■■■■■■□□□□
    $850 is such a ripoff. Good luck with the cert
  • Options
    LonerVampLonerVamp Member Posts: 518 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I would definitely say you don't need this. And I hate to see someone push money to EC-Council for something they don't need. There are good enough reasons to pursue the CEH, like you're entry level and really new to Infosec jargon and offensive tools, or you need to satisfy DoD criteria. But...that's about it.

What are your goals? Maybe there is a better route for you to follow?

Security Engineer/Analyst/Geek, Red & Blue Teams
    OSCP, GCFA, GWAPT, CISSP, OSWP, AWS SA-A, AWS Security, Sec+, Linux+, CCNA Cyber Ops, CCSK
    2021 goals: maybe AWAE or SLAE, bunch o' courses and red team labs?
  • Options
    beadsbeads Member Posts: 1,531 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Anyone with a positive opinion of this organization or their exams, please step up to the mike or forever hold your peace.

(*Crickets*)

- b/eads
  • Options
    Their “great” customer service and “awesome” application process puts them in their own league. 

• Options
    Communication with EC-Council was more difficult than the CEH exam. 
  • Options
    I remember they had first approved my application and after I had passed the exam they disapproved it. How does that make sense? They also kept losing my paper certificate and it took months to receive their welcome package.