AWAE Journey (Starting Jan, 2020)

2»

Comments

• si20si20 Member Posts: 543 ■■■■■□□□□□
    That's similar for me too - I really like webapp pentesting but the AWAE really doesn't make it clear from the outset that it's not a standard XSS, CSRF, Command injection type of course - it's a "look at code, trace it back several hundred lines and find a bug. Exploit it to get an RCE". It's a serious jump from most courses. I don't even dislike it because of the difficulty, I just dislike how they present it. From the outset, finding the information to set up your hosts file was a PITA.

Ah well, back to the pentest+, and after I hopefully pass that, I'm going to continue with html5/css3/php/javascript and python. And then potentially WAPTx in the next year or so.
  • chrisonechrisone Member Posts: 2,278 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Are you getting any courses from elearnsecurity this red team discount month? WAPTXv2 is kinda cheap from Elite $1499 to $1,124.25

I am holding out for the PTXv2 course. 
    Certs: CISSP, EnCE, OSCP, CRTP, eCTHPv2, eCPPT, eCIR, LFCS, CEH, SPLK-1002, SC-200, SC-300, AZ-900, AZ-500, VHL:Advanced+
    2023 Cert Goals: SC-100, eCPTX
    chrisone said:
    Are you getting any courses from elearnsecurity this red team discount month? WAPTXv2 is kinda cheap from Elite $1499 to $1,124.25

I am holding out for the PTXv2 course. 
    That's a good discount. I'll probably pass it up this time but only because I've been trying to hit around 3 vm's from vulnhub, hackthebox or tryhackme each weekend for the past few months. I can feel myself burning out a bit.

One pentest+ is over I'll probably chill out for 2 weeks before I continue on. It's a tough industry but you and others on the site keep the motivation high!

• ElitisElitis Member Posts: 50 ■■■□□□□□□□
    That sucks @si20 that the course is a bit too much for you, but hopefully you enjoy Pentest+ as much as I did. I felt it was very much you either know the answer or you don't, compared to the usual Comptia "read extremely carefully and make sure you fully understand what's being asked". You get way more time than needed too.
    si20 said:
    I started WAPT by eLearnSecurity and got 50% through before my workplace decided that I should do AWAE (90 days) then return to WAPT. There's a long backstory to it, but it's not too important. Essentially, I start AWAE Sunday 26th January.

Skill level prior to starting: OSCP, OSWP. Worked as a Security Analyst for approx 3 years, web app pentester for the last year. I have very limited scripting abilities. I'm a relatively quick learner, so i'll give it all i've got and give very regular updates. 

I'll be 100% honest - i'm truly not expecting to pass this, let alone understand it all. I had intended to do WAPT in early 2020 and AWAE in late 2020, but for numerous reasons, I have to do AWAE first (can't go into it, work-related).

Wow dude long time no see

What happened to techexams.net

Hey forgive me but I can't remember your username. Since the site changed I try to remember based on avatars now. I think the site got sold a while back. Some of the original folks are around but I think the old design was a little better and more familiar.
  • nathandrakenathandrake Member Posts: 69 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I must have missed your post about your review of the AWEA.  This one was on my radar, but it looks like I may skip this one now.  I don't think I'd have the skillset to trace the code to identify vulnerabilities.  I was going back and forth between this and WAPTX.  Looks like I'll be jumping on the 25% off and get WAPTX while it's discounted. 
  • chrisonechrisone Member Posts: 2,278 ■■■■■■■■■□
    @nathandrake , personally speaking with no experience of AWAE course ware, I can only go off of peoples personal experience. I have heard many say that AWAE was for internal whitebox pentests when you have access to the code. As opposed to SANS, eLearnSecurity, and other vendors which take a blackbox approach. As mentioned , I have no experience with AWAE, maybe it does blend training from both a white and black box perspective?

25% off for the elite comes out to below 1200, that's not a bad deal. 
    Certs: CISSP, EnCE, OSCP, CRTP, eCTHPv2, eCPPT, eCIR, LFCS, CEH, SPLK-1002, SC-200, SC-300, AZ-900, AZ-500, VHL:Advanced+
    2023 Cert Goals: SC-100, eCPTX