AZ -900 Azure Fundamentals - Passed

chrisonechrisone Member Posts: 2,278 ■■■■■■■■■□
edited September 2019 in Microsoft
Passed Azure Fundamentals AZ-900
Passing Score: 837ish (can't really remember), passing is 700
Exam version AZ-900 Proctored
Desire: Was looking to get into cloud security for Azure and then AWS. I wanted a good foundation on Azure before diving into AZ-500 Azure Security Engineer Associate.
Study time: 1 month 

Materials:
Azure fundamentals Free Online Training (online training modules)
week 1, 9 hrs, free on microsoft
week 2, 8 hrs, free on microsoft & contains practice questions
This book was good. A little overly detailed and the author goes into other topics to show how things interelate. Conatins a lot of extra reading not necessary for the exam. For example we seem to go 20 pages deep into AI and thed different types of AI. I believe I could have passed the test without this book. However, after reading it once. I plan on going over a few chapters or concepts as he had very good thigns to say. If you have the time you can read this before your exam.
week3, 1 week to read, $22 kindle format on amazon 
very good CBT, contains 50 practice questions as well!
week 4, 4hrs, $10 Udemy Sale, $20 non sale
This was a gold mine. Helped me perfect my theories of the topics. Has good explanations when you miss questions or the concept. It is not perfect by any means, but I feel this helped me pass the exam. **Please verify when the course was last updated, if you are reading this long after I posted this. You do not want to buy this course if it hasn't been updated in over a year or two** 
week 4, 8 hrs, 3 practice tests each with 54 questions, $10 Udemy Sale, $89 non sale (just wait for this to get on sale)

Test date: At this point I finished all the materials mentioned above, and was scoring 90%-100% on the practice tests. Not just memorizing the questions but the concepts and why the other answers were incorrect, which the Udemy Practice Tests does a great job at. 

Next: AZ-500 Azure Security Engineer Associate. 365 & AWS in 2020

Conclusion: Just last month I was not very familiar with the azure portal, its compute resources, support and pricing structure, & other technological offers. I honestly never really cared, but the reality is that soon, everything will be hybrid, and later everything will be cloud based, including security. 

Certs: CISSP, EnCE, OSCP, CRTP, eCTHPv2, eCPPT, eCIR, LFCS, CEH, SPLK-1002, SC-200, SC-300, AZ-900, AZ-500, VHL:Advanced+
2023 Cert Goals: SC-100, eCPTX

Comments

• advanex1advanex1 Member Posts: 365 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats. Thanks for the good write up.
    Currently Reading: CISM: All-in-One
    New Blog: https://jpinit.com/blog
  • JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
    Congrats on the pass! I may have to look into this so I can become more rounded as I've been more heavily into AWS.
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
    Next Up:​ OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
  • deltzydeltzy Member Posts: 34 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Do you think one could pass by just going through the "Azure fundamentals Free Online Training" first link you posted?

I've got this booked in this month and it seems like it's going to be fairly easy, maybe I'm underestimating it. I'm playing around with Azure as it is.
    CISSP | OSCP | CREST CRT & CPSA | CCSKv4 | SEC + | CCENT | CISMP | AZ-900
    In Progress: CCSP, AZ-500

• chrisonechrisone Member Posts: 2,278 ■■■■■■■■■□
    deltzy said:
    Do you think one could pass by just going through the "Azure fundamentals Free Online Training" first link you posted?

I've got this booked in this month and it seems like it's going to be fairly easy, maybe I'm underestimating it. I'm playing around with Azure as it is.
    If you are under pressure and trying to take it within 2-3 weeks, you definitely want some form of practice questions. 

Bare minimum:
    Azure fundamentals free online training from Microsoft.
    Udemy CBT (reinforce your online training from the Microsoft training above, $20 investment, c'mon :smile: ) Plus you get 50 practice questions. Those 50 questions I am not entirely sure will suffice. 
    Practice test questions is a must. Whether you get it from Udemy ($89) or Microsoft's store $99 (which I heard wasn't that good.)However you get your practice questions, its a must. 

Honestly, although it is entry level, its not a bogus test anyone without reading or spending a few hours studying can just walk in and pass. Even with my attempt there were a few questions I checked for review and I spent more than 5 minutes on just thinking about the answer. Some questions were worded a certain way that got me second guessing. So if you do zero practice test questions, you may have a hard time. 

Goodluck!
    Certs: CISSP, EnCE, OSCP, CRTP, eCTHPv2, eCPPT, eCIR, LFCS, CEH, SPLK-1002, SC-200, SC-300, AZ-900, AZ-500, VHL:Advanced+
    I'm glad you gave me the heads up! There was me thinking I was going to sail through without much work. Better start studying :)

• averageguy72averageguy72 Member Posts: 323 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats!
    CISSP / CCSP / CCSK / CRISC / CISM / CISA / CASP / Security+ / Network+ / A+ / CEH / eNDP / AWS Certified Advanced Networking - Specialty / AWS Certified Security - Specialty / AWS Certified DevOps Engineer - Professional / AWS Certified Solutions Architect - Professional / AWS Certified SysOps Administrator - Associate / AWS Certified Solutions Architect - Associate / AWS Certified Developer - Associate / AWS Cloud Practitioner
  • De_RabbitDe_Rabbit Member Posts: 12 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Great job! Do you recommend this before going for the AZ-103?
    edited October 2019
    I also passed this exam last week, just used the material on the Microsoft site and the Udemy practice questions. I have to say the Udemy practice tests was REALLY helpful for the exam so thank you for the recommendation.

Got this done in about 2-3 weeks, not that difficult.

Congrats on the pass! Yeah the exam isn’t difficult, 2-4 week journey at best.
  • yoba222yoba222 Member Posts: 1,237 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Thanks for sharing. Have you done any AWS training yet by any chance? I might take a similar path, but I'm doing AWS right now and worry about confusing the two platforms; kind of like what learning Spanish and French at the same time might be.
    A+, Network+, CCNA, LFCS,
    Security+, eJPT, CySA+, PenTest+,
    Cisco CyberOps, GCIH, VHL,
    In progress: OSCP
  • E Double UE Double U Member Posts: 2,228 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Thanks for sharing! My employer is moving a lot of workloads away from AWS to Azure so I will go for AZ-900 just because they will pay for it. I'm going through the Microsoft Azure Fundamentals online material at the moment. It seems very simple. 
    Alphabet soup from (ISC)2, ISACA, GIAC, EC-Council, Microsoft, ITIL, Cisco, Scrum, CompTIA, AWS
    yoba222 said:
    Thanks for sharing. Have you done any AWS training yet by any chance? I might take a similar path, but I'm doing AWS right now and worry about confusing the two platforms; kind of like what learning Spanish and French at the same time might be.
    Hey yoba, I haven’t done any AWS training. I have plans to do so for late 2020 or early 2021. I want to clear out any azure training first.
  • JugglingRefereeJugglingReferee Member Posts: 49 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I made a playlist of all the videos in the Open edX course found in OP above.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLC1bDj5njRdV-wWtcPXOw869aRJleY_1T
  • bigdogzbigdogz Member Posts: 881 ■■■■■■■■□□
    @chrisone Congratulations!!!
    Thanks for the post. I think I may hit this Microsoft Azure stuff early next year.
  • jmarkg7jmarkg7 Registered Users Posts: 20 ■■■□□□□□□□
    @JugglingReferee Thank you for the video playlist..AZ-900 then AZ-500 are my next certification goals. Any suggestions for AZ-500 training would be greatly appreciated. 
  • soccarplayer29soccarplayer29 Member Posts: 230 ■■■□□□□□□□
    @chrisone Great post and a ton of helpful information in your detailed write-up :)

I just passed the AZ-900 exam and would like to +1 the recommendation on the udemy practice tests that I added to my studying based on this thread. The detailed questions and explanations there were very valuable and helped identify a few areas to review prior to the exam.

My main study source was the Edx course (and the linked youtube videos by @JugglingReferee) but I wouldn't recommend that. It was only text based presentation along with essentially detailed PDFs with all the good stuff including the walkthroughs of the Azure portal and services. There are better CBT trainings that combine the text and demos/walkthroughs and I'd recommend using those as the primary study materials.

I'm onto AZ-500 next which builds off the same knowledge base and will create a thread on that if I remember since there isn't a lot of material out there on that one. 
    Certs: CISSP, CISA, PMP
  • srothmansrothman Member Posts: 73 ■■■□□□□□□□
    @soccarplayer29 great job and congrats! I was studying for the AZ-500 since November. With the holidays and I just started my two week vacation, I won’t be able to take the exam until I come back. Once I get back I’ll take another 4 weeks to practice all the topics again and take the exam mid February. 
    Brain Dp are not condone on this site bud. 
    edited June 2020
    @chrisone - To his/her credit, at least hanoyef pasted a link to brain d**mps instead of requesting them like I've seen so many times. He/She wants to contribute :D

@hanoyef - Thanks for the offer, but keep in mind that your suggestion is not the only road to success. The free material from Microsoft has been suitable for most.  :)
    Alphabet soup from (ISC)2, ISACA, GIAC, EC-Council, Microsoft, ITIL, Cisco, Scrum, CompTIA, AWS
  • nisti2nisti2 Member Posts: 503 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats!
    2020 Year goals:
    Already passed: Oracle Cloud, AZ-900
    Taking AZ-104 in December.

"Certs... is all about IT certs!"
    100% verified? Well sign me up :smile:
  • DatabaseHeadDatabaseHead Member Posts: 2,753 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Favorite types of posts.  Thanks for sharing!