Options

Pointers on OS

buddyslickbuddyslick Inactive Imported Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
I have passed my hardware part of the exam and about to take my OS part. Does anyone know of any main areas that I need to focus on?

Thanks,

Michael

Comments

• Options
    GhentGhent Member Posts: 310
    For a complete list of test topics, you can check out the A+ Objectives on http://www.comptia.org But I'd say from my expierience that it's very important that you know most of the utilities in each OS such as System Monitor and such. Of course also know the networking aspects and config files.
    Prais'd be the fathomless universe, for life and joy, and for objects and knowledge curious.' Whalt Whitman
  • Options
    bellboybellboy Member Posts: 1,017
    my exam was on the older objectives, and i would have suggested that a student make sure they know the different ways to access stuff (if you can get it via desktop as well as control panel or start menu), control panel, networking, different fats. and do that for each operating system.

how many of the operating systems covered have you got access to?
    A+ Moderator
  • Options
    I have access to all the operating systems. Is there 1 in particular that I need to pay attention to? Are there any good example test sites to get practice from. I have been looking at the mike myers 4th edition book and example tests because I was told that this really will help me with the actual OS test. Is this true?
  • Options
    GhentGhent Member Posts: 310
    If your doing the 2001 Objective exams, Win2k and Win98 should be enough. Mike Meyers was my primary source of study, and his practice tests are decent. If you can score atleast an 80-90% on them you should do fine of the real exam .
    Prais'd be the fathomless universe, for life and joy, and for objects and knowledge curious.' Whalt Whitman
  • Options
    bellboybellboy Member Posts: 1,017
    learn some of the differences between the win9x family as well as differences between nt and win2k. not sure on xp content though - i would probably brush up on firewalls as it is one of the major differences 'tween win2k and xp.

generally get ot know the control panels in each, as they may try to fool you over some things.

know which operating systems have "my network places" and which have "network neighbourhood".
    A+ Moderator
  • Options
    cb6000cb6000 Member Posts: 36 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Focus on Windows 9x, NT, and 2000. You should know things, such as the ERD, files, such as CONFIG.SYS, COMMAND.COM, and other files (definitely know those files). There are a few XP questions (which I always hear that they are experimental questions). There were questions on stuff having to do with hard drives. Read the objectives, just like the others say...and you'll succeed.
  • Options
    Thanks for all the helpful info. Wish me luck.