CyberSec First Responder - CFR 210

trojintrojin Member Posts: 275 ■■■■□□□□□□
Passed today CFR-210 so there is short review

Logical Operations few years ago created Cybersec First Responder exam, but was not too popular within Info Sec community. Recently LO with OUTCERTS start promoting this cert with reasonable cost for study guide and exam bundle. With CCNA Cyber OPS and CompTIA CySA+ around there is a good time to draw attention of the security community, based on the growing popularity of the "blue team", on this certificate. Recently cert was approved as U.S. DoD-8570 compliant so may increase popularity.

My study tools:
  1. LO oficial videos - very good but not enough to pass the exam, no mp3 version
  2. LO official study guide - as above. Definitively you have to study additional materials referenced in study guide.
  3. Transcender - Logical Operations Practice Exam for CFR-210 CyberSec First Responder (CFR) - you have to buy on cybrary.it website to save over 100$. 6 months access cost 149$ on Transcender or LO website or 42$ on cybrary.it. This practice test is very good and really required before sit real exam. Ensure you did all flash cards before tests, to fully understand questions
  4. Cybrary video courses (with mp3 versions):
  • Incident Response and Advanced Forensics - very dry, only high level knowledge, not worth your time
  • Corporate Cybersecurity Management - good to refresh cyber risk terms.

Final thoughts (mine and subjective):
It's harder than CySA+
1 month is enought to study and pass if you have info sec experience
It's not so complex or hard as CCNA Cyber OPS but require similar level of knowledge
I'm just doing my job, nothing personal, sorry

xx+ certs...and I'm not counting anymore

Comments

• bhuvanesh2016bhuvanesh2016 Registered Users Posts: 11 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Greetings, do you have PDF versions of CFR ? please let me know!
  • trojintrojin Member Posts: 275 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Greetings, do you have PDF versions of CFR ? please let me know!

I hope you are joking...

• bhuvanesh2016bhuvanesh2016 Registered Users Posts: 11 ■■■□□□□□□□
    trojin wrote: »
    I hope you are joking...

No, i'm looking for the materials. I was not able to get it, that's y pinged.
  • trojintrojin Member Posts: 275 ■■■■□□□□□□
    No, i'm looking for the materials. I was not able to get it, that's y pinged.

You should receive all study materials from LO.
    There is no other way

• tahjzhuantahjzhuan Member Posts: 288 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Thanks. Studying for the CFR-310 Beta now. Will most def check out the Transcender practice exams before sitting for this.
  • dmaketasdmaketas Member Posts: 21 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I did sit for the CFR-310 beta exam on 17 July. Has anyone heard back from them for the results or not yet?
  • stryder144stryder144 Member Posts: 1,684 ■■■■■■■■□□
    dmaketas wrote: »
    I did sit for the CFR-310 beta exam on 17 July. Has anyone heard back from them for the results or not yet?

The Facebook group mentioned that the results will be out sometime next month.
    The easiest thing to be in the world is you. The most difficult thing to be is what other people want you to be. Don't let them put you in that position. ~ Leo Buscaglia

Connect With Me || My Blog Site || Follow Me
  • stryder144stryder144 Member Posts: 1,684 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I just received an email that states:

"As beta testers for our CFR-310 we want to thank you for contributing to the development of our CyberSecurity First Responder (CFR-310) program. Many of you have reached out to us asking when you will receive notification about your exam status. We are completeing our cut score process this week and will have the passing score published next week along with the final exam.

You will receive a pass/fail notification from CertNexus in the next two weeks. If you passed, you will receive a certificate and badge by end of September.

Thank you for your patience in this matter and for participating in our beta exam experience. If you have any additional feedback, we would love to hear it. Please send it to certifications@certnexus.com"

So, it looks like next week will be the week!
    The easiest thing to be in the world is you. The most difficult thing to be is what other people want you to be. Don't let them put you in that position. ~ Leo Buscaglia

Connect With Me || My Blog Site || Follow Me
  • dmaketasdmaketas Member Posts: 21 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Thank you very much, I received the email as well.
  • jwdk19jwdk19 Member Posts: 70 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Same here. What are your overall opinions of the exam?
    Received the result of the beta today :) There is overlap from Sec+ and CySA+, but I also learned some things. I enjoyed the material and will continue to keep up with it. I've heard it was more difficult than CySA+, but I felt more comfortable with this exam. Darril Gibson has a couple of blog posts referencing this. Also, there is a Jason Dion review of this on YouTube. I used the video from Udemy along with the official study guide from Logical Operations.
  • AakashNTAakashNT Member Posts: 12 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I also got mail from CertNexus. " You have obtained a passing score on your CFR-310 Beta. You will receive official email within next 2 weeks with CFR Certification welcome kit." Happy that $20 did not go in vain :)
  • jwdk19jwdk19 Member Posts: 70 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats bro! I am still awaiting the pass / fail email. I do believe that this exam and CySA+ have about 70-75% overlap but I think this exam goes about 15-20% more in-depth than CySA+.

If I fail will I pay full price to retake? No way lol outside of the DoD this cert has very little recognition IMO. Good knowledge to be learned from studying the exam objectives without the cert though. I cant complain, pass or fail you cant beat it for $20.
  • FluffyBunnyFluffyBunny Member Posts: 230 ■■■■■□□□□□
    jwdk19 wrote: »
    If I fail will I pay full price to retake? No way lol outside of the DoD this cert has very little recognition IMO.
    That was my opinion as well, all the more because I'm in the EU.

Now that the convo continued over here, I feel stupid for opening a 310 thread :D
  • AakashNTAakashNT Member Posts: 12 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Well, I got the official certificate 2 days back.I guess only online/PDF issued, no physical.

About exam and cert, I feel It should've been little more polished to give a better feel. Not given any CompTIA cert, so can't compare.

I didn't read specifically for this cert, as nothing was available- didn't want to spend $99 for their cert guide for CFR-210.

So, just used my experience and went through some usual IR guidelines and stuff. Some questions were asked to use Regex/Log analysis etc.

New Cert is still pending DoD accreditation, I guess. Anyway, I'm not from US, so nothing related to me apart from earning CPEs.

Overall, it may be/may not be compared to CySA+, but I must say if you don't have any experience in SOC/IR/Forensics, not an easy exam to pass, like CySA+.
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    Has anyone else taken CFR-310 recently? What did you think fo the learning and exam process? I have become interested in the CyberSec First Responder (CFR)​ cert because of its DoD acceptance. Here's some additional info from the CertNexus website:

CFR cert home page
    CFR-310 exam information and cert objectives blueprint (April 2019) (PDF) 
    CFR train-the-trainer syllabus (PDF)
    CFR certification voucher ($250)

Taking this again at the end of July to get the new accredited version. Using the docs referenced by JD with the exception of CFR train-the-trainer syllabus (PDF). Also going through the course on ITPro.TV and have the Udemy course for CFR-210.