Old forum layout?

krokodilokrokodilo Member Posts: 25 ■■■□□□□□□□
When I first signed up here ~2 years ago, on signing in the old, original Tech Exams forums layout showed as the default, but now it shows the new one. Is there any way to bring this back?

I used to lurk on the old style forum and prefer the look and feel of it. I'm not a huge fan of the new one and find it hard to navigate.

Comments

• JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    TechExams is now implemented on the Vanilla Forums platform and you are looking at the default style. The legacy, battleship gray TE was based on the vBulletin v4 platform and is no longer a supported style for TE.
  • SteveLavoieSteveLavoie Member Posts: 1,133 ■■■■■■■■■□
    edited June 2020
    It took me a few days to get used to this style.. but now I find it very nice and I wont go back to the old style
  • E Double UE Double U Member Posts: 2,228 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I prefer the old style, but the new style is not bad enough to keep me away. I am back in study mode so I visit the site regularly again. 
    Alphabet soup from (ISC)2, ISACA, GIAC, EC-Council, Microsoft, ITIL, Cisco, Scrum, CompTIA, AWS
  • krokodilokrokodilo Member Posts: 25 ■■■□□□□□□□
    JDMurray said:
    TechExams is now implemented on the Vanilla Forums platform and you are looking at the default style. The legacy, battleship gray TE was based on the vBulletin v4 platform and is no longer a supported style for TE.

That's rubbish :(

Can you change the themes like you can on similar platforms?
    JDMurray said:

• FluffyBunnyFluffyBunny Member Posts: 230 ■■■■■□□□□□
    krokodilo said:

They changed the whole underlying software; you can't "just go back" to the old theme. That's like switching from Windows to MacOS and then saying you want your MS Edge back. 

Vanilla Forums do offer a multitude of themes to choose from, but based on the settings available to us, I don't think we can switch to a different theme over here. 

krokodilo said:

They changed the whole underlying software; you can't "just go back" to the old theme. That's like switching from Windows to MacOS and then saying you want your MS Edge back. 

Vanilla Forums do offer a multitude of themes to choose from, but based on the settings available to us, I don't think we can switch to a different theme over here. 
    It's funny you say this as Microsoft officially published their Preview release of Edge for MacOS back in May of last year (2019). Read here: https://blogs.windows.com/msedgedev/2019/05/20/microsoft-edge-macos-canary-preview/

It's also been available on Wine since at least 2016, according to Google, so it's not a great example I have to say, but I understand where you're coming from.

It would be nice to at least have the ability to change text and background colour without having to use Greasemonkey. "Dark mode", a concept which has now strangely started to become popularly promoted in mainstream apps recently, would be nice also.

So do you want the previous style of TE or just a dark mode to dim the blue light of your displays? 
  • blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Not the OP, but I think a dark mode would be nice.  As a legacy TE member, I do like the new theme.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
    JDMurray said:
    So do you want the previous style of TE or just a dark mode to dim the blue light of your displays? 
    I want to old one back, but as we cannot have our way in that regard, an ability of customisation of what we have currently should be an option.

Those BB-style forums generally had the option of customisation IIRC from the many forums I've been in over the years. I find it very bizarre that we don't have that option now!
    Contact Vanilla Forums and check if they are working on supporting this capability in a future release.