Cloud+ or Linux+

BUGFREEBUGFREE Member Posts: 29 ■■■□□□□□□□
I just got my Security+ and I want to start on my next certification.  Either would work well for my career.  I was wondering which would be more valuable if I changed jobs and which is easier?  If you have any other info on these..it might help make my decision.  Thanks

Comments

• JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    Very few of the "+" certs are sought after by tech employers. These certs provide a really good structure for learning the material (networking, Linux, Cloud, computer components, etc.), but you don't need to actually take the cert exams to get the most benefit from the cert.

What area of IT security do you want to work in? Cloud, networking, policy, risk management, operations, general InfoSec, etc.?
  • ClmClm Member Posts: 444 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I agree with the above, A vendor specific certification is better unless your getting them for free.

I find your lack of Cloud Security Disturbing!!!!!!!!!
    Connect with me on LinkedIn https://www.linkedin.com/in/myerscraig

• MontagueVandervortMontagueVandervort Member Posts: 399 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I see you have your A+ and your Sec+ ... surprised you're not considering the Net+ since you seem focused on the base skills right now.

But if not then agree with what others have said about vendor-specific certs instead of either the Linux+ or Cloud+.
  • DatabaseHeadDatabaseHead Member Posts: 2,753 ■■■■■■■■■■
    edited January 2019
    I've never found the + certifications to be worth much.  Of course there are one off's like security + for government jobs or A+ for tech support, but usually I try to steer clear and go for the hot vendor certifications.  CCNA, AWS, MCSE, RHCE Etc........

Like Steve L stated I got the trifecta years ago.....   I wish I would of focused on one certification like the CCNA, MCSA or something like that back then, ~10 years ago.......

Just the CCNA alone has helped evolve friends and co workers careers from my circle.  
  • SteveLavoieSteveLavoie Member Posts: 1,133 ■■■■■■■■■□
    It all depend on where you are in your career... less than 4-5 years. a Comptia A+, Network+, Sec+ or even Cloud+ can be beneficial.. More than 5 years of exp you need vendor-specific certs. 
  • PseudonymPseudonym Member Posts: 341 ■■■■□□□□□□
    The current version of Linux+ that also gets you LPIC-1 is totally worth it. One of the best certs I've taken. 
    Certifications - A+, Net+, Sec+, Linux+, ITIL v3, MCITP:EDST/EDA, CCNA R&S/Cyber Ops, MCSA:2008/2012, MCSE:CP&I, RHCSA
    Working on - RHCE
  • charismaticxcharismaticx Member Posts: 160 ■■■■□□□□□□
    AWS and Azure are flooding the market place. If you’re looking to go into the cloud route, I would consider looking at AWS or Azure. Cloud + holds very little value when you compare it to those two
    The new Linux + exam is quite challenging and well worth having in my opinion. CompTIA has seriously stepped up their game with their latest security certifications. 
    Goals: PNPT; OSCP; GPYC; GSE
  • E Double UE Double U Member Posts: 2,228 ■■■■■■■■■■
    The only vendor-agnostic cloud certification that I would recommend is CCSP. Besides that I think one should choose Azure or AWS.
    Alphabet soup from (ISC)2, ISACA, GIAC, EC-Council, Microsoft, ITIL, Cisco, Scrum, CompTIA, AWS
  • LonerVampLonerVamp Member Posts: 518 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Pseudonym said:
    The current version of Linux+ that also gets you LPIC-1 is totally worth it. One of the best certs I've taken. 
    This is no longer true, FYI.

Security Engineer/Analyst/Geek, Red & Blue Teams
    OSCP, GCFA, GWAPT, CISSP, OSWP, AWS SA-A, AWS Security, Sec+, Linux+, CCNA Cyber Ops, CCSK
    2021 goals: maybe AWAE or SLAE, bunch o' courses and red team labs?
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    It looks like Linux+ also getting you the LPIC-1 cert ended on October 1, 2019 when the CompTIA LX0-103 and LX0-104 exams were retired. Good to know!
  • itdeptitdept Registered Users Posts: 273 ■■■■■■□□□□
    The dual cert is definitely discontinued. I busted my guts to get done before the deadline. Don't bother with Cloud+, you are better to have Linux skills and go with a specific cloud services
  • jasper_zanjanijasper_zanjani Member Posts: 76 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Definitely avoid vendor-neutral certs (i.e. CompTIA) and invest in a vendor of choice
    Linux✅ RHCSA ❌ Linux+
    Cloud✅ AWS❌ Cloud+