Took a new position : IT Trainer on a military base in the middle east

balancebalance Member Posts: 244 ■■■■■□□□□□

For those of you who are considering taking a position in the Middle East, Iraq, Afghanistan, Kuwait etc.  I would say go for it. I can only speak for Kuwait as this is my first position outside of the army which has been overseas. I would like to offer a few pointers which might help people who are considering making the leap.  Personally I would rather be in Afghanistan or Iraq ( the pay is better)  but I feel blessed to take on this new challenge.

1.       Ensure that all of your medical documentation is UpToDate and organized.

a.       If you need any medical waver or think you might , just assume you will need it and start working on it. 

b.       Google Mod-13 this will provide you a relatively UpToDate list on what requires a waver

2.       Get a list of required training and start working on it before you arrive to your in-processing center Contractor Readiness Center (CRC)

3.       Don’t pack too much I would shoot for 50lbs at max and use a military style duffle bag 

4.       Make friends i.e. be nice to the individuals who are running CRC , they can help you though the process and will be more included to do so if they like you.

Once you are in the Middle East, remember that you are the visitor and you can not keep the mindset of “Well this Is how we do things in the U.S.” Don’t be the Ugly American.

Personally, I love it and do not ever plan to work in the U.S. again.

Don’t be put off by taking a position in a foreign country, you might actually enjoy it.

Comments

• DatabaseHeadDatabaseHead Member Posts: 2,753 ■■■■■■■■■■
    balance said:

For those of you who are considering taking a position in the Middle East, Iraq, Afghanistan, Kuwait etc.  I would say go for it. I can only speak for Kuwait as this is my first position outside of the army which has been overseas. I would like to offer a few pointers which might help people who are considering making the leap.  Personally I would rather be in Afghanistan or Iraq ( the pay is better)  but I feel blessed to take on this new challenge.

1.       Ensure that all of your medical documentation is UpToDate and organized.

a.       If you need any medical waver or think you might , just assume you will need it and start working on it. 

b.       Google Mod-13 this will provide you a relatively UpToDate list on what requires a waver

2.       Get a list of required training and start working on it before you arrive to your in-processing center Contractor Readiness Center (CRC)

3.       Don’t pack too much I would shoot for 50lbs at max and use a military style duffle bag 

4.       Make friends i.e. be nice to the individuals who are running CRC , they can help you though the process and will be more included to do so if they like you.

Once you are in the Middle East, remember that you are the visitor and you can not keep the mindset of “Well this Is how we do things in the U.S.” Don’t be the Ugly American.

Personally, I love it and do not ever plan to work in the U.S. again.

Don’t be put off by taking a position in a foreign country, you might actually enjoy it.

I love this post!  Keep us posted, this sounds like a great opportunity.  
  • scascscasc Member Posts: 461 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Sounds like an interesting gig. I’ve found a role myself in Saudi for John Hopkins Aramco Healthcare - looking to move as an expat. Let’s see how it goes but certainly this post gives added impetus.
    AWS, Azure, GCP, ISC2, GIAC, ISACA, TOGAF, SABSA, EC-Council, Comptia...
  • balancebalance Member Posts: 244 ■■■■■□□□□□
    If you can get on with Aramco  you will be set .   That was my original hope.., but I landed in Kuwait.  The wife would rather be back in Saudi so in time I hope to make the jump.
  • DiffieHellman173DiffieHellman173 Registered Users Posts: 17 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I'm about to resign from GS and enter the contracting world with GDIT. Position is in Germany but in the future I wouldn't mind venturing east.
  • scascscasc Member Posts: 461 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Something well worth considering in the future. 

@balance - are you still interested in Saudi? Send me a DM when you can, I might have something.
    AWS, Azure, GCP, ISC2, GIAC, ISACA, TOGAF, SABSA, EC-Council, Comptia...
  • Fulcrum45Fulcrum45 Member Posts: 621 ■■■■■□□□□□
    balance said:

You aint kidding! Both of my trips to Afghanistan required body armor and a full NBC suit- essentially almost 2 full duffel bags of gear. I made it a personal policy to pack everything I needed into one backpack and then buy everything I needed when I settled in. Its a rough go living the transient life for 3-4 weeks but it's worth it. When you're hoofing it down a long flight line trying to catch your bird you'll be glad you did.
    edited July 2020
    Fulcrum45 said:
    balance said:

You aint kidding! Both of my trips to Afghanistan required body armor and a full NBC suit- essentially almost 2 full duffel bags of gear. I made it a personal policy to pack everything I needed into one backpack and then buy everything I needed when I settled in. Its a rough go living the transient life for 3-4 weeks but it's worth it. When you're hoofing it down a long flight line trying to catch your bird you'll be glad you did.
    To be honest I packed too much and I bought even more crap when I arrived.  YOU think i would have this figured out ...  is  suffer from " oh.... I need this"  then I remember I am not out in the middle of no where anymore. 

Next time  
    1. 3 Day ruck or waterproof duffel ( 40L)
    2. 3 set of clothes 
    4. Woobie and sleeping bag 
    I am actually looking forward to moving the family here , but then again wife and kids speak Arabic so.... 
  • stryder144stryder144 Member Posts: 1,684 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I've been contemplating a non-GOV job in the Middle East. One day, once I finish my bachelor's degree, I will probably look more seriously into it. I love the sunrises/sunsets in the Middle East...can't be beat.
    The easiest thing to be in the world is you. The most difficult thing to be is what other people want you to be. Don't let them put you in that position. ~ Leo Buscaglia

Connect With Me || My Blog Site || Follow Me
    I've been contemplating a non-GOV job in the Middle East. One day, once I finish my bachelor's degree, I will probably look more seriously into it. I love the sunrises/sunsets in the Middle East...can't be beat.
    I love it here  in the ME. Looking to work for a ME company full time in the future if I can find a good position.