What book do you like for 293?

royalroyal Member Posts: 3,352 ■■■■□□□□□□
I'm almost done with my 291 and want to order my 293 book so I can get started after I finish my 291. I see amazon ratings are horrible for the MSPress book and the sybex book is a bit better at a 3.5 star average. The Syngress book has not been rated. I'm just curious as to your guys opinions. Thanks!
“For success, attitude is equally as important as ability.” - Harry F. Banks

Comments

• eurotrasheurotrash Member Posts: 817
    I used the Syngress. I liked it.
    witty comment
  • royalroyal Member Posts: 3,352 ■■■■□□□□□□
    The syngress book is the one I'm leaning towards. There's a pretty good deal for the book on their home site.
    http://www.syngress.com/catalog/?pid=2550
  • Danman32Danman32 Member Posts: 1,243
    I used both Sybex and Syngress. I liked the detailing of the Syngress, but the organization of the Sybex.
  • shamrocker98shamrocker98 Member Posts: 79 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Doh! I just bought the syngress book from Amazon for $37 yesterday! icon_mad.gif
  • agustinchernitskyagustinchernitsky Member Posts: 299
    Syngress got me 9xx on the exam! Go Syngress!
  • RTmarcRTmarc Member Posts: 1,082 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Sybex and MS Press worked for me. This topic has been discussed hundreds of times. Bottom line, you can't go wrong with Exam Cram, Sybex, Syngress, or MS Press.
  • frankj1247frankj1247 Member Posts: 111
    RTmarc wrote:
    Sybex and MS Press worked for me. This topic has been discussed hundreds of times. Bottom line, you can't go wrong with Exam Cram, Sybex, Syngress, or MS Press.

I read the 293, and you can go wrong, very wrong, it's the worst book ever and the the Exam Crams for the MCSE suck too.

So what if the topic has been discussed before, maybe he didn't know. We're all here to learn and not be belitted.
  • RTmarcRTmarc Member Posts: 1,082 ■■■□□□□□□□
    frankj1247 wrote:
    RTmarc wrote:

I read the 293, and you can go wrong, very wrong, it's the worst book ever and the the Exam Crams for the MCSE suck too.

So what if the topic has been discussed before, maybe he didn't know. We're all here to learn and not be belitted.
    No one is belittling anyone. So far, you are the only one with an attitude. The vast majority of people that took any of these tests used at least one of the above books. Just because you think the Exam Cram books suck doesn't mean that others do. I had no issue with any of the Exam Cram books and others will say the same thing.
  • frankj1247frankj1247 Member Posts: 111
    I meant to say MSPress 293.

And to your statement "This has been discussed hundreds of times". Statements like that just don't help a discussion. The guy was asking for advice, that's all.
  • TregTreg Member Posts: 79 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Any people that have recently taken 70-293 want to comment on the book they used?

Im leaning towards Syngress, how ever I am a fan of Sybex.

I found out the MS book was absolute rubbish, should had read the reviews before hand.

Thanks
  • royalroyal Member Posts: 3,352 ■■■■□□□□□□
    The syngress worked out really well for me. The Sybex 70-284 (Exchange) book does a good job brushing up on some of the clustering/PKI stuff that I was a little weak on.
  • TregTreg Member Posts: 79 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for your feedback. I just finished the Exchange 70-284 exam and the sybex was great for that exam.

Might look into Syngress for 70-293 unless someone convinces me that Sybex would be better for it?
  • AnthonyJD81AnthonyJD81 Member Posts: 187
    icroyal wrote:
    The syngress book is the one I'm leaning towards. There's a pretty good deal for the book on their home site.

icroyal, thanks a lot for this link. $7.95 + shipping cannot be beaten...i just bought the 293 now and will more than likely buy 294 and 298 :D
  • jwlazarjwlazar Member Posts: 21 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Is the MS Press book enough? After reading through it, I was quite surprised by the large amount of overlap with the 291 exam material and marginal coverage of newer topics.

I'm just wondering if this is enough to pass the exam... icon_confused.gif
  • garv221garv221 Member Posts: 1,914
  • Ye Gum NokiYe Gum Noki Member Posts: 115
    This is a little different, but I like the MS press's Microsoft Windows Server 2003 Administrator's Companion, 2nd edition, by Russel, Crawford and Gerend, better than any of the training books for ALL the Server courses.

Mr. Ye
    "What we think, or what we know, or what we believe is, in the end, of little consequence. The only consequence is what we do." John Ruskin.
    icroyal wrote:

icroyal, thanks a lot for this link. $7.95 + shipping cannot be beaten...i just bought the 293 now and will more than likely buy 294 and 298 :D

The book arrived last weekend. So far I am 4 chapters in and its pretty darn good. I went back to the website to buy the 294 and 298 texts and guess what, the price has gone back up to $45 =( no longer $7.95 =(
  • AhriakinAhriakin Member Posts: 1,799 ■■■■■■■■□□
    The ebook is still quite cheap ($9.00) though I know they are an acquired taste...plus you lose the DVD but for the book itself it's still a good deal imho.
    We responded to the Year 2000 issue with "Y2K" solutions...isn't this the kind of thinking that got us into trouble in the first place?
  • sthomassthomas Member Posts: 1,240 ■■■□□□□□□□
    frankj1247 wrote:
    I meant to say MSPress 293.

The MS Press book for this exams sucks huh? That is what I am using to study for this exam now. I don't feel like buying another book for $50 bucks. How off is the MS press book for this exam?
    Working on: MCSA 2012 R2
    Ahriakin wrote:
    The ebook is still quite cheap ($9.00) though I know they are an acquired taste...plus you lose the DVD but for the book itself it's still a good deal imho.

I know but darn, $8 is a heck of a lot better than $50 icon_lol.gif I wish I would have bought all three at once rather than try one and buy more if it was good icon_sad.gif

I've got the MOC books but they are just not that good. They include some labs and study material but the Syngress and other books cover so much more material. I may just break down and get them but first I will complete the 293 exam and then double check the price at that time.