Options

Another Desktop Support role with more money or System Engineer role?

stark4stark4 Member Posts: 11 ■■■□□□□□□□
edited September 2020 in IT Jobs / Degrees
I'm currently in a desktop support role (5yrs) making 50k. My goal is to become an entry level system engineer. I'm currently studying for CCNA and my current boss kinda hinted me about possible promotion to system engineer (will be making around 60K) if I received a CCNA certification.

Now the problem is I just got a job offer for another Desktop Support role from well know company for 80K. I'm not sure about promotion opportunities or anything like that there. I'll probably be stuck at desktop support role for a while since I'll be pretty new to the company and it's a big organization. I'll still study for CCNA if I take the job offer. 

My question is should I take the 80k desktop support role offer (still study and pass CCNA) OR stay where I'm at right now, finish CCNA and get a promotion to become a system engineer making 60k at current job. I know system engineer will make a lot more in the future but 80k right now for desktop support role is kinda hard to pass up right now. What do you guys think?

Thanks in advance. 

Edit: The new position is 2 hours away and needs to move. I don't mind moving since I'm single. I'll have to support the new building and I'll be the only IT person there. The Main HQ is about 4 hours away. 

Comments

• Options
    iBrokeITiBrokeIT Member Posts: 1,318 ■■■■■■■■■□
    You covered the salary portion however you didn't state your medium term career goals and what types of problems you enjoy solving. 
    2019: GPEN | GCFE | GXPN | GICSP | CySA+ 
    2020: GCIP | GCIA 
    2021: GRID | GDSA | Pentest+ 
    2022: GMON | GDAT
    2023: GREM  | GSE | GCFA

WGU BS IT-NA | SANS Grad Cert: PT&EH | SANS Grad Cert: ICS Security | SANS Grad Cert: Cyber Defense Ops SANS Grad Cert: Incident Response
  • Options
    itdeptitdept Registered Users Posts: 273 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Get out of current job and go and make more money! Your boss kinda hinting to you about possible promotion means nothing.
    Yes, you might get stuck in a desktop support role but the pay increase you are likely to get a the current job will be probably no more than 10K because you are a "junior". You also can always move on later if new role does not work out.
  • Options
    coreyb80coreyb80 Member Posts: 647 ■■■■■□□□□□
    itdept said:
    Get out of current job and go and make more money! Your boss kinda hinting to you about possible promotion means nothing.
    Yes, you might get stuck in a desktop support role but the pay increase you are likely to get a the current job will be probably no more than 10K because you are a "junior". You also can always move on later if new role does not work out.
    Excellent advice!
    WGU BS - Network Operations and Security
    Completion Date: May 2021
  • Options
    E Double UE Double U Member Posts: 2,229 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I would take the 80K role and continue studying for CCNA. 
    Alphabet soup from (ISC)2, ISACA, GIAC, EC-Council, Microsoft, ITIL, Cisco, Scrum, CompTIA, AWS
  • Options
    p-coderp-coder Member Posts: 21 ■■■□□□□□□□
    If you stay at your current job, you will miss out on the 80k position, and you might not even get a promotion at your current job. It is not like your current boss actually offered you a promotion. Your boss could hint at something today and change his mind tomorrow. 
  • Options
    Neil86Neil86 Member Posts: 182 ■■■■□□□□□□
    See if your current employer can counter offer, or offer you the position early if that's the role you want. Otherwise, I would move on to the higher income and continue your studies. The only thing that would deter me from moving is if the new place is toxic and a horrible work environment.
  • Options
    SteveLavoieSteveLavoie Member Posts: 1,133 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Take the 80K position.. and think how much are paid system engineer if desktop support is paid 80K ;)

• Options
    Neil86 said:
    See if your current employer can counter offer, or offer you the position early if that's the role you want. Otherwise, I would move on to the higher income and continue your studies. The only thing that would deter me from moving is if the new place is toxic and a horrible work environment.
    I won't know wether or not the new place is toxic and horrible work environment until I start so.. I guess I'll have to wait and see. 
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    Just added additional information at the bottom of the 1st post. 
  • Options
    coreyb80coreyb80 Member Posts: 647 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Sounds like the position took on last year.  I left a help desk gig for a position where I'm the only IT guy for a remote office here in Chicago.  Main office is in London.  It's definitely been an experience, some great some not so great!
    WGU BS - Network Operations and Security
    Completion Date: May 2021
  • Options
    SteveLavoieSteveLavoie Member Posts: 1,133 ■■■■■■■■■□
    if you are willing to move, go ahead.. but analyze cost of living before.. maybe the 20K$ more would not result in more free money
  • Options
    chrisonechrisone Member Posts: 2,278 ■■■■■■■■■□
    stark4 said:

"Another Desktop Support role with more money or System Engineer role?"

I'm currently in a desktop support role (5yrs) making 50k. My goal is to become an entry level system engineer. 

Based on your statement, your goal is to be a systems engineer. I would focus on that goal, unless your situation in life requires more immediate money.

But just remember, as the heading in your very own post says "Another Desktop Support role" is and will always be just another desktop support role and can always be replaced for cheaper labor. Sorry to break it down like that but you should also understand the market value of such a role. You already know this, hence your CCNA studies. If money is not needed at the moment, I would use the current situation to get the credentials you need to find an 80k Systems Engineer role. 

Certs: CISSP, EnCE, OSCP, CRTP, eCTHPv2, eCPPT, eCIR, LFCS, CEH, SPLK-1002, SC-200, SC-300, AZ-900, AZ-500, VHL:Advanced+
    2023 Cert Goals: SC-100, eCPTX
  • Options
    TechGromitTechGromit Member Posts: 2,156 ■■■■■■■■■□
    edited September 2020
    While I say sometimes you have to take a step back (or a cut in salary) to move ahead, a 30k, (40%) salary bump is too difficult to ignore or pass up. Just be careful to no get too comfortable in the desk top support role. Generally a desktop support role is a lower level technical skilled job and easier to replace, thus less job security in the long run in my opinion. Also mentioned it was 2 hours away, and you will have to relocate.  Take a honest look at the cost of living for the area, it could be the COL could more than offset any salary bump your getting.

In my company recently a "Senior Cyber Threat Intelligence Analyst" position became available. This is more in line with my Certifications and training, but COL for the area is 113 Maryland vs 78 for Rochester, this would be a lateral move, so no extra salary. In short overall it's a 30% pay cut for me. I'll stay where I am so long as my job security remains the same.  
    Still searching for the corner in a round room.