Help needed between deciding two jobs

gen007gen007 Member Posts: 2 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hello,
i need some help and guidance with my dilemma, I have recently landed a gig with educational institution as their security analyst, However i also had applied at other places and was in mid of doing final round interviews from which one of the places will be moving forward with an offer. Now my dilemma is to stick with this role that i just started or possibly consider this new offer. Pros and cons of this other (new offer) are as follow:

Pros:
3 days WorkfromHome,
MUCH better salary (about at least 500-700$ per month)
Possibly better learning opportunity since its a smalls shop

Cons:
2 days that i have to commute it will be over an 1 hour to 1.5 hours in train one way
Very negative reviews about the company and specially senior management to the extent some even question if the business is going to last long term; although they been in business for over 50 years.(it is public and donations funded business)

Current role
Pros:
EXCELLENT reputation and reviews about the organization
possibly some good learning experience although teams are very structured with specific duties and tasks assigned to individual teams.

Cons:
Lesser salary(of course)
No workfromhome, commute time 30 mins one way with vehicle
possibly may not learn enough due to fact organization is very structured and follow assigned road maps

please help me decide :)

Comments

• JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    edited September 2020
    How large is the new company? Very negative reviews are typically a red flag in a smaller company, but in a larger company they might be specific to only one division or one leader. People not use to working in very large orgs tend to think of them as "one big room" while they instead operate like 100's of smaller orgs under one roof. 

What's your vehicular commute like? As someone who has commuted for decades by car, I'd trade the aggravation of 1-2 hours driving myself on the Southern California freeways for a relaxing 1-2 hour train trip with a good book. :)

Oh, any chance of finding and talking to some people who currently work at the new company? There's nothing like the opinion of 1st-hand recon.
  • gen007gen007 Member Posts: 2 ■■□□□□□□□□
    JDMurray said:
    How large is the new company? Very negative reviews are typically a red flag in a smaller company, but in a larger company they might be specific to only one division or one leader. People not use to working in very large orgs tend to think of them as "one big room" while they instead operate like 100's of smaller orgs under one roof. 

What's your vehicular commute like? As someone who has commuted for decades by car, I'd trade the aggravation of 1-2 hours driving myself on the Southern California freeways for a relaxing 1-2 hour train trip with a good book. :)

Oh, any chance of finding and talking to some people who currently work at the new company? There's nothing like the opinion of 1st-hand recon.
    company is size of about ~400 people. mostly reviews talk about bad/mis management, no clear direction for company, to the point some even doubt the future of company. Where as current organization has a really positive employee feedback not just on the glassdoor but from collegues as well.

Commute will be ~ 25 to 35 mins one way for 5 days a week(post covid). commute for this new place that i will have to do 2 times a week will involve 1-1.15 hrs one way via train.
  • yoba222yoba222 Member Posts: 1,237 ■■■■■■■■□□
    You'd be rolling the dice again, but I'd choose the one with the higher salary. Letting the train drive you can be nice (assuming you can get a seat).
    A+, Network+, CCNA, LFCS,
    Security+, eJPT, CySA+, PenTest+,
    Cisco CyberOps, GCIH, VHL,
    In progress: OSCP
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    gen007 said:
    company is size of about ~400 people. [...] feedback not just on the glassdoor but from collegues as well.

That's not good news for a company that small. Unless you are desperate to get out of where you are at, I would keep looking for a better opportunity. A much bigger paycheck won't make up for a torturous/demoralizing work environment.