Is WGU legit?

Connor2kwikConnor2kwik Member Posts: 43 ■■■□□□□□□□
So since my last post I've been doing some more thinking about whether finishing a degree or getting some IT certifications. Lately I stumbled upon Western Governors University and they happen to offer online degrees in computer science and they also offer a degree in cloud computing. I was wondering does this online university seem legit? How would employers treat me different if I was to end up with a degree from there? How would other schools treat me if I decided to get a graduate degree someday?

Comments

• itdeptitdept Registered Users Posts: 273 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I've seen plenty of posts vouching for WGU. In all reality a degree is just a piece of paper. What counts is what you learn and then selling yourself to a company to make them more money. I completely understand the foot in the door mentality that come with have a certain degree from a certain school.
    "How would other schools treat me if I decided to get a graduate degree someday?" If you pay them money they will let you in. They basically don't care about anything except money.

Just my 2c
  • stryder144stryder144 Member Posts: 1,684 ■■■■■■■■□□
    WGU is regionally accredited, which tends to be a bit more rigorous when it comes to accreditation compared to national accreditation. They look at the courses, materials, tests, and finances (among others). To be successful, you will need to be very self-motivated. While they do have student mentors who contact you weekly, you still need to carve out the time needed to complete each course.
    The easiest thing to be in the world is you. The most difficult thing to be is what other people want you to be. Don't let them put you in that position. ~ Leo Buscaglia

Connect With Me || My Blog Site || Follow Me
  • Neil86Neil86 Member Posts: 182 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I've looked at WGU a lot and have the intention of following one of their degree programs in the future. Lots of members here have posted about WGU and their experiences. 
  • NyblizzardNyblizzard Member Posts: 332 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Love WGU and the opportunities it has opened for me
    O
    /|\
    / \
  • PCTechLincPCTechLinc Member Posts: 646 ■■■■■■□□□□
    WGU worked very well for me.
    Master of Business Administration in Information Technology Management - Western Governors University
    Master of Science in Information Security and Assurance - Western Governors University
    Bachelor of Science in Network Administration - Western Governors University
    Associate of Applied Science x4 - Heald College
  • coreyb80coreyb80 Member Posts: 647 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I'm currently attending WGU and 15 CUs away from wrapping up my bachelor.  I've enjoyed my experience and most of all the certifications that I've attained from there as well.
    WGU BS - Network Operations and Security
    Completion Date: May 2021
  • coreyb80coreyb80 Member Posts: 647 ■■■■■□□□□□
    coreyb80 said:
    I'm currently attending WGU and 15 CUs away from wrapping up my bachelor.  I've enjoyed my experience and most of all the certifications that I've attained from there as well.
    What program are you in? I'm looking into their CS program. I see its not abet accredited though 
    Bachelor of Science, Network Operations and Security
    WGU BS - Network Operations and Security
    Completion Date: May 2021
  • SteveLavoieSteveLavoie Member Posts: 1,133 ■■■■■■■■■□
    will employers look at me differently if i decide to go there? 
    Will they see you differently if you dont go too :)

Seriously, if you have a degree, you better have a degree from WGU than none.  I am Canadian, so I cant tell about WGU, but I saw many people online graduating from this college.
  • spiderjerichospiderjericho Registered Users, Member Posts: 890 ■■■■■□□□□□
    ^^^I guess he’s looking for anecdotal post degree experiences. 

I got a BS from there but I’m active duty military so it has no value for me now. I’d like to get a MS from there in Cybersecurity.