Turning Over A New Leaf

RunningForwardRunningForward Member Posts: 26 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hello everyone! 😊

I am looking to enter the IT field to make a career for myself.

I have a four-year degree double majoring in both criminal justice and psychology.

I have over a year with “general” IT experience working as essentially basic helpdesk for small businesses and retail stores. Very basic stuff under my belt. Nothing to write home about. My work experience in IT is from about three years ago. I do not know anyone in the industry to help me get my foot through the door but I do have references from my old IT jobs.

I have several years of work experience in retail stores, customer support, customer service, sales, etc. I also have multiple years of experience teaching different grade levels in both elementary school and early middle school plus tutoring mostly math and some English.

I have chosen AWS since it seems to be popular and growing. I have done job searches (Indeed & Dice) within Westchester County New York and there are about two dozen jobs available that require AWS knowledge, although none of them are entry level. I am assuming that there will be more jobs available if I broaden my search south to where the city is, although I would want to keep my commute to under two hours if possible.

I am looking at grabbing two or three certifications within the next six months:
AWS Cloud Practitioner (Foundational) – will grab this one
AWS Solutions Architect (Associate) – will grab this one
COMPTIA Security+ (501) or COMPTIA Security+ (601) – not sure about these yet

I will build a “portfolio” of my work and projects once I start creating assignments that are a part of my self-study.

I plan to take this very seriously.

I know that jumping into AWS from such little real-world experience might not be the best course of action. I am going the AWS route because it is in demand and I have always found “the cloud” interesting despite not knowing much about it. I was also leaning towards cyber security but most of those jobs seem to want me to be in DC on top of requiring vast work experience.

Please let me know if there are other certifications or other routes to take that would be better.

Thank you everyone! 😊

Comments

• RoguetadhgRoguetadhg Member Posts: 2,489 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Good luck. I really enjoyed the Security+ exam.
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    TE Threads: How to study for the CCENT/CCNA, Introduction to Cisco Exams

• JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin

I am looking at grabbing two or three certifications within the next six months:
    AWS Cloud Practitioner (Foundational) – will grab this one
    AWS Solutions Architect (Associate) – will grab this one
    COMPTIA Security+ (501) or COMPTIA Security+ (601) – not sure about these yet

CCP is the easiest with some good (and free) study recourses listed on TE. CSAA is very wide in its coverage of topics and will require much more study time. Security+ is the foundational InfoSec cert and recommended for people to determine if their primary career path should be InfoSec. The Sec+ voucher is good for a year and for either exam release.

I know that jumping into AWS from such little real-world experience might not be the best course of action.

But you can get real-world experience with AWS, Google, and Azure! All three of these Cloud providers have free tiers that people can use to get familiar with their design and operation and to practice for their cert exams. All three CSP's require an email account and a credit card (yes, despite being "free"). The big difference is on Amazon you can (accidentally) use services that cost you money while on Google and Microsoft you can't be charged unless you fully subscribe to their service.
  • RunningForwardRunningForward Member Posts: 26 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Thank you both so much for your advice and support! It does mean a lot!

I have begun studying for CCP but realized that I do not know that much in IT even if the CCP is very foundational.

I would like to ask advice about a new game plan for me.

I have zero certifications.

Would it be wise to obtain A+ (1001/1002), Network+ (007), and Security+ (501) first before going for CCP and CSAA? 

I have found the Professor Messer website and free YouTube videos. I think perhaps I should obtain these three "core foundational trifecta" before going for CCP and CSAA but am unsure. My main reason for looking into cloud was that there is a huge job market for it but upon further study and research I am realizing that most of those job roles are for those who have significant experience and know more than just what is taught for passing CCP and CSAA. 

Please let me know what you all think! Thank you again so much and please stay safe during COVID! 

God Bless! :)
    If you don't understand the TCP/IP networking and packet filtering stuff that's in Network+ (N10-007) or CCNA you won't understand about VPC and security groups in CSAA. A+ and Security+ aren't needed for those AWS exams.
    JDMurray said:
    If you don't understand the TCP/IP networking and packet filtering stuff that's in Network+ (N10-007) or CCNA you won't understand about VPC and security groups in CSAA. A+ and Security+ aren't needed for those AWS exams.
    Thank you for clearing this up!

I feel that I was not clear though.

My new plan is to take first Network+ (N10-007) then Security+ (SY0-501) because I have no certifications and that I have many major gaps in my IT knowledge due to my very limited work experience.

I still would like to go for CCP and CSAA in the future since the cloud is in so much demand but the more I read the more I realize that I would need to have some serious knowledge in SQL, DevOps, Python, and Linux.

Would this be a smart decision to make? I also am leaning towards both of these COMPTIA certs because they are vendor neutral. I also might start to get more interest in cyber security or networking and then I might go down a different path. But either way I very much want to get both Network+ (N10-007) and Security+ (SY0-501) since they cover so much information that I know that I need to learn regardless of which path of IT that I choose to follow.

Thank you so much JDMurray btw for your prompt responses to my post! I notice you're extremely active on the forums and always seem to be helping people and I do appreciate that tremendously!
    I think the new Net+ is good for learning networking, but CCNA is more likely to be asked for on job postings. Security+ is the canonical entry-level InfoSec cert--although the breadth of topics it now covers can hardly be called "entry-level" anymore. To get a job in Cloud, it's better to stick with the certs from a major Cloud provider (AWS, GCP, Azure, etc.) rather than vendor-neutral Cloud certs. Finally, you only need to learn stuff like SQL, DevOps, Python, and Linux depending on what area(s) of Cloud you focus on.

RunningForward said:
    Thank you so much JDMurray btw for your prompt responses to my post! I notice you're extremely active on the forums and always seem to be helping people and I do appreciate that tremendously!

No problem! That's what I'm here for! :D
    @JDMurray

Very valuable insight! Thank you!

I should first apologize for jumping all over the place. 

I have very limited knowledge of IT in general. I have limited work experience. I feel a bit lost and confused.

What would you suggest I do if you were in my shoes?

I was looking at both CCP and CSAA but fear that somehow even if I manage to grab both of those certs I will have so many gaps in my knowledge and experience that I will fail interviews. Are you saying that simply grabbing CCP and CSAA can land a job off the bat? I am confused since wouldn't companies want me to know a programming language and other platforms and information?

I find aspects of networking and cloud interesting but also would someday like to work in cyber security. I would have originally gone for something cyber security related but unfortunately I do not live near DC nor would want to travel away from my family. A big reason I was looking into something cloud related was that the job market is broad and it allows for more flexibility of where I am located.

Is starting with Network+ then Security+ not the best idea for someone essentially new to the IT field? I want to study what is in demand and can lead to a job that doesn't require me to move. I am in Westchester County New York right now.
    @JDMurray

Are you saying that simply grabbing CCP and CSAA can land a job off the bat?

I didn't say anything remotely like that in this thread. You might be reading into this discussion what you hope I will say.

Certs will help someone with no experience to land an entry-level job. You might have better success getting a job with experience you already have (e.g., help desk, customer service) and laterally moving on to a Cloud team in the same company at a later date.
    JDMurray said:
    @JDMurray

Are you saying that simply grabbing CCP and CSAA can land a job off the bat?

I didn't say anything remotely like that in this thread. You might be reading into this discussion what you hope I will say.

Certs will help someone with no experience to land an entry-level job. You might have better success getting a job with experience you already have (e.g., help desk, customer service) and laterally moving on to a Cloud team in the same company at a later date.
    My apologies!

I currently do not work somewhere that would allow me to laterally move up in the company. Furthermore, the "IT" work that I do for where I work right now is very minimal and basic. With that said though, I do have some good and mixed job experience from different locations and work from my past so that helps.

I am going to get Network+ then Security+ first then see from there. The more research and reading I do the more I keep getting pulled towards either something networking or cloud related. Perhaps I will go for the CCNA instead of CCP and CSAA but either way that is a bridge I will cross after I obtain both Network+ and then Security+ as soon as possible.

Thank you again for your help and feedback!
    edited September 2020
    CCNA is an alternative to the Network+ cert but is more complicated and Cisco equipment-centric. Sign up for the Cisco Learning Network and get a copy of Packet Tracer for practicing network design and operations.
  • RoguetadhgRoguetadhg Member Posts: 2,489 ■■■■■■■■□□
    But it's also pretty hard not to run into Cisco equipment in network, too. Every place I've worked at had Cisco equipment. So it's not like getting an Apple certification XD
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    TE Threads: How to study for the CCENT/CCNA, Introduction to Cisco Exams

Yes, but do you want to be a network engineer or something more up in the Cloud? If you want to work in a data center or on a NOC team (netops) then going the CCNA/CCNP route (pun intended) would be better for you than CSAA.
    Thank you both very much!! :)

Yes, I would like to become a network engineer or network administrator someday. I think it's cool learning how different networks and computers communicate with each other.

Also, very foolish question, but does "CCNP" have different types? I am on this website " https://www.cisco.com/c/dam/en_us/training-events/certifications/career-path.pdf " and just want to confirm I am reading it correctly. I see that "CCNA" is on its own.

Would this be the best route to take then?

Network+ (007) then Security+ (501 not 601) then CCNA then see from there which CCNP certification to pick up?

Good news is that I have already purchased the Mike Meyers Udemy course for Network+ N10-007 as of this morning! I saw the new student sale/deal and could not resist! I also have bookmarked and saved the free Professor Messer YouTube videos I found recently as well. :)

Very excited right now! :)
  • yoba222yoba222 Member Posts: 1,237 ■■■■■■■■□□
    edited September 2020
    My plan was Network+, Security+, then . . . I didn't know . . . CCNA? After Security+, by luck/circumstantial opportunity, I got a job at a NOC, working with Cisco gear on a daily basis. My next plan was CCNA then CCNP.

But then I changed jobs towards the end of CCNA studies and took a security role. I found myself no longer working with Cisco gear at all. Diving into the level of detail and expertise needed to learn CCNP suddenly made very little sense when I urgently needed to spend that time studying for security certs. Five years later, I haven't looked back at pursuing CCNP, and if I let my CCNA lapse nobody would notice. Not sure if it will be worth my time when the deadline comes around.

So I'd say keep an open mind going into CCNA because by then you may be employed someplace in a different role and with a different technology stack, that might heavily influence your next choice of certs.
    A+, Network+, CCNA, LFCS,
    Security+, eJPT, CySA+, PenTest+,
    Cisco CyberOps, GCIH, VHL,
    In progress: OSCP
    yoba222 said:
    My plan was Network+, Security+, then . . . I didn't know . . . CCNA? After Security+, by luck/circumstantial opportunity, I got a job at a NOC, working with Cisco gear on a daily basis. My next plan was CCNA then CCNP.

But then I changed jobs towards the end of CCNA studies and took a security role. I found myself no longer working with Cisco gear at all. Diving into the level of detail and expertise needed to learn CCNP suddenly made very little sense when I urgently needed to spend that time studying for security certs. Five years later, I haven't looked back at pursuing CCNP, and if I let my CCNA lapse nobody would notice. Not sure if it will be worth my time when the deadline comes around.

So I'd say keep an open mind going into CCNA because by then you may be employed someplace in a different role and with a different technology stack, that might heavily influence your next choice of certs.
    Thank you!! :)

Yeah I have started studying Network+ two days ago. I love it so far! The only downside is that there are many terms I am coming across that I need to "Google" and "YouTube" to better understand. Perhaps I jumped the gun and should have started with ITF+ and then A+ before jumping to Network+ right away?

I am glad you shared your story. I am hoping that by obtaining both Network+ and Security+ before the end of the year that can help me snag a reasonable job somewhere that I am going to build a lot more experience and exposure; whether that be CISCO gear or AWS cloud stuff or whatever else.

How does the industry look at someone with just Network+ and Security+ ?
    Would it be better to go in the "complete" order and get ITF+ then A+ then Network+ then Security+ ?

I am going for COMPTIA certs over AWS or CISCO or Microsoft because they are vendor neutral and I am not sure yet where I will wind up.
  • yoba222yoba222 Member Posts: 1,237 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I started with A+, mainly for learning value than resume credentials. I'm glad as it covered some Network+ concepts. I don't think hiring companies care about completion of cert bundles at all, since this is more for CompTIA marketing than anything else.
    A+, Network+, CCNA, LFCS,
    Security+, eJPT, CySA+, PenTest+,
    Cisco CyberOps, GCIH, VHL,
    In progress: OSCP
    yoba222 said:
    I started with A+, mainly for learning value than resume credentials. I'm glad as it covered some Network+ concepts. I don't think hiring companies care about completion of cert bundles at all, since this is more for CompTIA marketing than anything else.
    Understood! 

Well that makes me a tad bit nervous to be honest. I still want to study for both Network+ and Security+ so I can understand the material and grab those two certifications. I have some basic IT experience but I know that I need some certifications; especially since I do not have a technical four year degree.

May I ask how you prepared yourself for the certification exams? Would watching Udemy videos by Mike Meyers (just purchased his course along with three practice tests) and the free YouTube Professor Messer videos be enough for Network+ preparation?

You're a wise and experienced individual @yoba222 ! I appreciate your help! Thank you! :)
    I would start by going through the exam objectives list for each cert and note on a scale of 0-5 what topics you know well (5-4), know somewhat (3-2), know very little (1), and do not know at all (0). This will show you your baseline knowledge and give you a priority of what topics to study for each exam.