Options

Looking for a book about developing interest and/or passion

PanaredetPanaredet Member Posts: 1 ■■□□□□□□□□
I'm almost 24 and most of my life I've had very basic interests (video games, movies, and reading) but didn't really learn to have passion for anything. I'm finally moving away from my hometown soon for school, which is making me realize just how little I'm actually deeply interested in, let alone what I'm passionate about. Since I have a little more interest in reading, I thought maybe there might be something out there that'll help me get a solid start towards having an actual personality. If that makes sense

Comments

• Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,028 Admin
    edited October 2020
    Well, realizing that you have a void, and feeling the need to fill that void, is a tremendous first step. When you feel dispassionate it's usually because you don't feel a clear purpose in life. It is often said that travelling to many places, and meeting many people, will broaden your perspective by exposing you to things that you would never experience at home. It sounds very random, but if you spend years of your life travelling/observing/participating then you'll eventually experience an epiphany that will give your life direction and purpose and fill you with passion. Developing a more interesting personality will naturally follow. :)
  • Options
    UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,564 Mod
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Learn GRC! GRC Mastery : https://grcmastery.com 

• Options
    SteveLavoieSteveLavoie Member Posts: 1,133 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I would like to help you.. but I am a very passionate person.. My main problem is going from one passion to another
  • Options
    Neil86Neil86 Member Posts: 182 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I didn't realize how interested I was in IT until my late 20's. Going away for school will introduce you to new people, ideas, and opportunities. Take advantage of it! Learn and try new things. That passion will come to you.
  • Options
    E Double UE Double U Member Posts: 2,229 ■■■■■■■■■■
    JDMurray said:
     It is often said that travelling to many places, and meeting many people, will broaden your perspective by exposing you to things that you would never experience at home. It sounds very random, but if you spend years of your life travelling/observing/participating then you'll eventually experience an epiphany that will give your life direction and purpose and fill you with passion. 
    I can attest to this. 
    Alphabet soup from (ISC)2, ISACA, GIAC, EC-Council, Microsoft, ITIL, Cisco, Scrum, CompTIA, AWS
  • Options
    AzazelloAzazello Member Posts: 18 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Panaredet said:
    I'm almost 24 and most of my life I've had very basic interests (video games, movies, and reading) but didn't really learn to have passion for anything. I'm finally moving away from my hometown soon for school, which is making me realize just how little I'm actually deeply interested in, let alone what I'm passionate about. Since I have a little more interest in reading, I thought maybe there might be something out there that'll help me get a solid start towards having an actual personality. If that makes sense
    Your scenario -- 24-year-old going to school (undergrad or grad?) -- made me think of a fictional story that focuses exclusively on motivations, passions, personalities all over the spectrum, yeah even madness, in a setting you wouldn't think would -- law school.
    Of course, the one & only The Paper Chase by John Jay Osborn Jr.

Full disclosure, I read this in high school and it got me sooo motivated to go to college, as I thought life there would be just as passionate, both personally and academically.

I always encourage book-reading but I highly recommend watching the film first, then the first season of the TV series -- especially the first episode - https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x68n1cd

then the book. IMO the book lacks the fire of the personalities seen on both movie & tv.

I think you'll see yourself in one or more of the characters (we all would); or will be motivated to explore how your search for passion matches that of other people.

[yeah, I know this is probably a bogus member (first post, hasn't been on site in over a month), but the topic is interesting, so here we go!]