I am new and do not know what exactly to start with

IBOJANGIBOJANG Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
I do not have any background in IT. I only know few basic computer skills. I am interested in cyber security but I do not know where to start. I live in the US. Any advices would be greatly helpful.

Comments

• UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,564 Mod
    Welcome to the forums, you came to the right place!

Can you tells us more about your experience and education if any? What type of jobs have you held before? do you have any non-IT experience? .customer service experience?

What interest you about cyber security? do you know which area within cyber security that you're interested in?

There are many ways to start a career in cyber security. Historically, people used to come from IT or network engineering background and then move to cyber role but nowadays you can start in a junior cyber role.

Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Check out my YouTube channel: https://youtu.be/DRJic8vCodE 

• IBOJANGIBOJANG Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thank you for your response. I appreciate it. 
    I have customer service experience and law enforcement too(immigration officer). I do not know yet what area of cybersecurity I want to focus on. I am currently working as a part time security guard. Next semester I will graduate with a bachelor's degree in general studies. I have basic IT skills like Word, excel etc. Small things like that. 
    I am interested in cybersecurity because I want a better paying job and I believe that everything will eventually be control by technology. 
    I just don't know how, where and what to start with..and any recommendations would be greatly appreciated. 
    Thank you 
  • UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,564 Mod
    you're very welcome!

The learning journey for IT and cybersecurity is long and doesn't really end, so start somewhere.

CompTIA Security+ is a nice certiication to start with.

Microsoft Azure fundamentals is a free training that can get you started. I also think Amazon has an equivalent free training that can get you started to understand what cloud computing is.

Try to apply for Helpdeks type roles, they will value your customer service skills and this will enable you to build some skills, relationships and get some experience in your resume.

I'm sure others will give you some recommendations to start learning and building your skills.

WGU university has some nice bachelor degrees in IT where you get to do certifications. It can be done fully online.

Essentially, you need a mix of knowledge, experience, certifications and experience.

Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Check out my YouTube channel: https://youtu.be/DRJic8vCodE 

• E Double UE Double U Member Posts: 2,228 ■■■■■■■■■■
    My recommendation is to dive into the CompTIA Security+ All-In-One Exam Guide published by McGraw Hill. The goal should not be the certification itself, but to really fully understand all of the concepts to build a foundation to expand upon. 
    Alphabet soup from (ISC)2, ISACA, GIAC, EC-Council, Microsoft, ITIL, Cisco, Scrum, CompTIA, AWS
  • bigdogzbigdogz Member Posts: 881 ■■■■■■■■□□
    @IBOJANG People who work within the Info Sec arena have a wide range of experience such as programming, various Operating System knowledge (Windows and Unix/Linux), networking, and hardware just to name some topics. You should be well rounded and have some networking experience as well. A Network+ and possibly a Linux+ ( or Red Hat ) certification can help you with some of the knowledge.
    Build a small lab at home to learn some technologies. Have both a wired and wireless lab. It does not have to be expensive. You can get cheap or used equipment (Buyer Beware!) to get you started.
    As time goes on you will develop more knowledge in different domains to help you in your journey.