Is Cloud+ worth it?

mauguilarmauguilar Member Posts: 37 ■■■□□□□□□□
Does it have any weight for someone that already have A+, Net+, Sec+, Server+ and 7 years experience?

Best Answers

• NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Answer ✓
    Does your current job want you to have it or does your next job looking for have that cert in their job ad?   If so, then yes.  If not, then I usually pass on a cert.  I'd guess most manager's would see Cloud+ and have zero clue what it actually covers.   

But the knowledge might be useful if you need to learn more on those topics and there are people who like to have a cert to shoot for while they are learning the material.  So that they have an end goal.   I'm not one of those people but can be helpful. 

Answers

• D113D113 Member Posts: 19 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Cloud+ has not helped me at all.  The Department of Defense does not recognize it as a cloud cert.  Not sure about the private sector, but I am guessing that they also would be looking for an Azure or AWS cert.  Even CCSP is not recognized by the DoD yet.
  • shochanshochan Member Posts: 1,004 ■■■■■■■■□□
    edited October 2019
    so, I hear A LOT that DoD certs are great to have...Does that really mean anything though?  Bragging rights?  Better pay in public sector?  Does the private sector HR depts look at them the same way OR do you have to express that in your resume that they are DoD certs?  I suppose it is only relevant if you apply for public sector positions, IMO.
    CompTIA A+, Network+, i-Net+, MCP 70-210, CNA v5, Server+, Security+, Cloud+, CySA+, ISC² CC, ISC² SSCP
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Senior Member Posts: 0 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Having passed the Cloud+ this year, it didn't help me get a higher salary at all or anything. Was useful to get a better grasp on cloud but that is about it. I would just skip it and do AWS or Azure certs.
  • balancebalance Member Posts: 244 ■■■■■□□□□□
    shochan said:
    so, I hear A LOT that DoD certs are great to have...Does that really mean anything though?  Bragging rights?  Better pay in public sector?  Does the private sector HR depts look at them the same way OR do you have to express that in your resume that they are DoD certs?  I suppose it is only relevant if you apply for public sector positions, IMO.
    Some of the certifications that I hold are only for DOD.  I have this discussion a lot at work.   How comfortable are you putting all of your eggs in the "DOD basket". I prefer to try and look attractive both in and out of the DOD area.  It all depends on what you want to do .  Take CEH and CASP+ ... DOD likes those two , but CISA or CRISC  nope  .  I can't even get a voucher for CISSP-ISSMP , but I can get a voucher for Security+. 
  • bigdogzbigdogz Member Posts: 881 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I think you have to find out what you want to do in IT going forward.
    In general I really do not think that Cloud+ does not have any ROI at this time. You may want to search for positions in your local area and nation wide for jobs who require it and make your decision from that information. Just to let you know that you should look for jobs periodically to note any changes.
    If you are looking to transfer into some job that deal with cloud technology then I would recommend that you get AWS and Azure certifications. Experience may be needed as well. You may want to pop up some sites to know the technology and how it works so you can deploy it in production of a corporate environment.

• bigdogzbigdogz Member Posts: 881 ■■■■■■■■□□
    @shochan In short, YMMV.
    Salary depends on the industry and location. Some industries do not pay as well when you have some of these certifications. Consulting positions may pay more money as these people are considered subject matter experts in their respective fields.
  • scascscasc Member Posts: 461 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Cloud neutral certs are good as it gives a good baseline/foundation to work with. If really interested in cloud I would start with CCSK which is half of CCSP anyway. After CCSK, CCSP is a natural move when you meet any pre-req. After CCSK you can also do cloud specific training - AWS/Azure/GCP/Oracle etc. Depending on your motives, can do solution architect associate for example. 

I personally enjoyed CCSK much more than CCSP as it really drilled properly into cloud security. CCSP is good for resume, but its like CISSP for cloud. I also really enjoyed AWS training as I apply this in my work on a regular basis.
    AWS, Azure, GCP, ISC2, GIAC, ISACA, TOGAF, SABSA, EC-Council, Comptia...