eLearnSecurity/INE Cyber Security Pass

13»

Comments

• secureckbsecureckb Member Posts: 63 ■■■□□□□□□□
    chrisone said:
    Ha not giving up, I am finishing my elearn goals (THPv2 and PTXv2). If you are just starting out with elearn it is a great option. Just don't spend so much money or time on one vendor. Diversify hahaha 

THP is a great course. All their courses have been awesome. The skill level gained is amazing, just wish it was a brand was equal to the price tag. 

My investment thus far, PTPv3 PTPv4, WAPTv2, WAPTv3, IHRP, THPv2, PTXv2, eCRE, eCMAP. Thats a lot of time and money on a brand that is not required for job applications. I have seen some WAPTX and PTX here and there on job applications. 

I think that's somewhere in the ballpark of $8k-10k. The years spent is another factor. At some point you have to move on.  2021 is my Azure and O365 year :wink:

Yes agree....diversify...After THp-->OSCP for me...and then maybe WAPT and AWS security...
  • gbutlergbutler Member Posts: 24 ■■■□□□□□□□
    its really tempting, i have PTP5 which i got on 2018 during launch but couldn't complete due to my laziness.
    I need mentoring help here, as my goal is to become Security researcher/Red-team. I am doing good with black-box pen-testing but i feel incomplete and lack foundation.
    Planning to strengthen my foundation and to become a red-team (or) security researcher is my Goal (6 Months). Will this deal help-me to achieve and how do i start with any path i need to follow to achieve

appreciate if someone could guide me, also i have to pay for training out-of-my pocket and no company sponsor (is it worth to get this deal?)
    Achieved : GCIH, CEH
    Certification Goals :  ECCPT, OSCP, CISSP, CCNA CyberOps, CCIE, WIFU

gbutler said:
    its really tempting, i have PTP5 which i got on 2018 during launch but couldn't complete due to my laziness.
    I need mentoring help here, as my goal is to become Security researcher/Red-team. I am doing good with black-box pen-testing but i feel incomplete and lack foundation.
    Planning to strengthen my foundation and to become a red-team (or) security researcher is my Goal (6 Months). Will this deal help-me to achieve and how do i start with any path i need to follow to achieve

appreciate if someone could guide me, also i have to pay for training out-of-my pocket and no company sponsor (is it worth to get this deal?)
    Everyone can comment but.. I have a heavy background in databases and OS, so gravtated towards security data, so got my CISSP and now gearing towards the THP././/
  • SteveLavoieSteveLavoie Member Posts: 1,133 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Done... I plunked the 2K$ for 2 years :) Time to study :)
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    No wife and kids and mortgage, eh? :)
    nice...gotta invest ...:)...
  • chrisonechrisone Member Posts: 2,278 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Exciting! congrats and it will be a solid good two years for you. :smile:

Certs: CISSP, EnCE, OSCP, CRTP, eCTHPv2, eCPPT, eCIR, LFCS, CEH, SPLK-1002, SC-200, SC-300, AZ-900, AZ-500, VHL:Advanced+
    2023 Cert Goals: SC-100, eCPTX
    I cannot tell how many certs I will do.. but I will look at all content and do many labs. Learning does not always result in a certs :) 

JDMurray said:
    No wife and kids and mortgage, eh? :)
    Wife and daughter are very understanding... they let me live my nerd's life :)  and mortgage is a joke in my budget :)
    @SteveLavoie excited to hear what your plans are for the two year subscription. Which courses you plan on tackling and in which order, not that the order matters but just wanted to pick your brain. 
    Certs: CISSP, EnCE, OSCP, CRTP, eCTHPv2, eCPPT, eCIR, LFCS, CEH, SPLK-1002, SC-200, SC-300, AZ-900, AZ-500, VHL:Advanced+
    I have bought EJPT before INE, so I will finish it just to not lose the voucher, that's a certs junky reaction as I bought EJPT before doing my GPEN class, now I am GPEN, so EJPT is not really necessary.. but I still wish to have it. Then I want to follow a more Blue Teams trail.. so Incident response, forensic and so on.  GCIH is my next SANS class so I am getting ready. 
  • jwdk19jwdk19 Member Posts: 70 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I was able to get in on the beta. 

My opinion here of course...but if this were the model when I got eJPT, I would have no doubt bypassed eLS for sure.

This model seems to be more geared towards organizations or those who have a larger budget. I feel like eLS has alienated a sizeable chunk of its market.

Just my non-expert opinion.
    all business are working on shifting their business model toward recuring revenue.. so it make sense for eLS / INE to do it.  Also, it is a release price.. it will probably come down, if their offering is not getting traction. I would not be surprised that the cost of the Cyber Sec Pass would gravitate nearer 999$/years like INE Networking pass. Now they have to work on brand recognition as they are the little known player behind Offensive Security.  

• gbutlergbutler Member Posts: 24 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Just thought of updating the path - suggested by Elearnsecurity, which is not available on their website now

Network Pentester path
    -------------------------------
    PTS > PTP > PTX

Web Application Pentester path
    PTS > WAPT > WAPTX

Advanced Pentester path
    PTX > WAPTX > MASPT

Purple Team Member path
    PTP > PTX > THP

Incident Responder path
    IHRP > THP > DFP

Enterprise Defender path
    PND > PWD > THP

Achieved : GCIH, CEH
    Certification Goals :  ECCPT, OSCP, CISSP, CCNA CyberOps, CCIE, WIFU

edited November 2020
    I don't think these paths are relevant anymore. Unless INE gets some type of official NIST seal of approval. I don't believe elearn ever got that but it would uplift the desire of those certs within the industry. As of right now I could only see a handful maybe less than 5-8 jobs requesting elearn certs PTX or WAPTX from what I can see on Dice/Indeed/etc.
  • yoba222yoba222 Member Posts: 1,237 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Personally I like the idea of being able to do 3-6 eLearn courses over the next 2 years. But I think INE buying eLearn is going to make the desire to obtain these certs about on the same level as obtaining a LinkedIn Learning certification (or whatever they're called).
    A+, Network+, CCNA, LFCS,
    Security+, eJPT, CySA+, PenTest+,
    Cisco CyberOps, GCIH, VHL,
    In progress: OSCP
    Well. Course content and certification are 2 different thing. For now Elearnsecurity/INE have great content and great course developped.  Doing the associated certiification is worth it only if they are getting more brand recognition, but you still have the knowledge gained. In 2 years, it could be the end for Elearnsecurity, content will have to be redevelopped and if brand recognition is not there, it will die.
  • si20si20 Member Posts: 543 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I have been AWOL for a few months because I burned out studying so hard for the first 4-5 months of the year. I decided today I'd start looking at the eJPT course to get me back in the zone and was horrified to see the new INE model. $1999 for the cyber security pass? I only want to do the eJPT, not get a 2-year pass. I think this is a horrible idea. Businesses may be able to afford this but the average person is not likely to be able to. Really disappointed. I'll have to go back to the drawing board now and see what else I can study.
  • tedjamestedjames Member Posts: 1,179 ■■■■■■■■□□
    si20 said:
    I have been AWOL for a few months because I burned out studying so hard for the first 4-5 months of the year. I decided today I'd start looking at the eJPT course to get me back in the zone and was horrified to see the new INE model. $1999 for the cyber security pass? I only want to do the eJPT, not get a 2-year pass. I think this is a horrible idea. Businesses may be able to afford this but the average person is not likely to be able to. Really disappointed. I'll have to go back to the drawing board now and see what else I can study.

So, are you no longer allowed to register for individual certification training? Surely, they must've left that option open.

For me, getting the knowledge and skills are more important than adding more letters after my name. If all you really want is the knowledge, download the exam objectives and create (and follow) your own learning plan. There are lots of great, free tutorials on YouTube and on the web. And there are lots of great, inexpensive courses on Udemy, including several by instructors Heath Adams (The Cyber Mentor) and Zaid Sabih.
    If you want about the same knowledge than EJPT, consider playing with Tryhackme.com, it is oriented to learn the essential, this is very gamified so it became a bit addictive. You will learn most of the EJPT in the first Beginner Path.   Tryhackme.com has a free subs and a paid one (10$USD) that remove the limitation. I am just starting on this site.. and it is quite addictive, you learn things, and it is a game. 
    edited November 2020
    hey also... I am not totally sure.. I remember reading an email from INE telling that INE Starter pass has most of EJPT class and Starter Pass is free.

I may be wrong, but you have nothing to lose
  • si20si20 Member Posts: 543 ■■■■■□□□□□
    tedjames said:
    si20 said:

So, are you no longer allowed to register for individual certification training? Surely, they must've left that option open.

For me, getting the knowledge and skills are more important than adding more letters after my name. If all you really want is the knowledge, download the exam objectives and create (and follow) your own learning plan. There are lots of great, free tutorials on YouTube and on the web. And there are lots of great, inexpensive courses on Udemy, including several by instructors Heath Adams (The Cyber Mentor) and Zaid Sabih.

Nope, it looks like individual training is off. Sucks!
    well individual training is available if you bought them before INE subscription started