anyone take cisa or cism 6/11 ?

darkuserdarkuser Member Posts: 620 ■■■□□□□□□□
did anyone take cisa or cism on 6/11 ....
I took cism.
trying to figure out when the results will come out.....
rm -rf /

Comments

• darkuserdarkuser Member Posts: 620 ■■■□□□□□□□
    i took cism .... much like cissp.
    no idea if i passed , much like cissp.
    which i did ... pass

they're taking much longer with the results though.
    lots of pick the BEST answer questions.
    rm -rf /
  • jopmoesjopmoes Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I took the CISA on 6/11 and PASSED! Received the email congratulating me on July 28 and the hard-copy on Aug 8.

Test covers alot of the same material as the CISSP. Exam is typical in that the questions are multiple choice with 2 answers that can easily be thrown out. Many questions that ask for the "BEST" answer or are really a symantics question rather than knowledge question.

The test is only a portion of the CISA. You must also fulfill the experience portion to earn the CISA designation.
  • darkuserdarkuser Member Posts: 620 ■■■□□□□□□□
    i got a 73 on cism.
    passing was 75
    DOH!!!!.
    rm -rf /
  • riteshjokhakarriteshjokhakar Member Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Dear all, 

I am a new member here. I have 13 years of software testing experience including functional and automation tests. I am willing to diversify into security domain and move my career towards security management. Can anybody please guide me on the possible areas and which certification would be better CISM or CISSP ? How do I get these certification with my minimal exposure to risk and security domains ?
  • balancebalance Member Posts: 244 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Dear all, 

I am a new member here. I have 13 years of software testing experience including functional and automation tests. I am willing to diversify into security domain and move my career towards security management. Can anybody please guide me on the possible areas and which certification would be better CISM or CISSP ? How do I get these certification with my minimal exposure to risk and security domains ?
    Dear all, 

Are you just spamming threads ?  
    balance said:
    Dear all, 

Dear all, 

Are you just spamming threads ?  
    Apologies no, I am new to the forum , signed in today for first time and was not sure on which was the right thread. Genuinely looking for answers to my query above.
    To answer your question  you will not be able to  be awarded the exam if you do not meet the requirement.  

CISM :  https://www.isaca.org/credentialing/cism

CISSP : https://www.isc2.org/Certifications/CISSP            but you can become an associate of CISSP  without meeting the requirements to actually hold CISSP.  You will not be a CISSP and can not use the CISSP after your name. 

balance said:
    To answer your question  you will not be able to  be awarded the exam if you do not meet the requirement.  

Thank you sir,

Is it possible to gain experience after clearing the exam and then applying for certification ? Like
    Step 1:pass exam
    Step 2: find a role based on CISM exam and gain experience.
    Step 3: apply for certification.
    Sure you can do it that way   I guess you could pass all of the ISACA exams and then within the required time  gain the experience you need. But I am not sure what value that would add .
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    Roles for the CISM exam pertain the management teams of Information Security people. If you feel that you are ready and qualified to move into management of a security team then CISM is good to study for high-level business and management concepts. However, CISM will not tech you how to actually manage a team of people or handle day-to-day management tasks and activities.
  • jibtechjibtech Member Posts: 424 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Both the CISM and CISSP are certs for documenting what you have done, rather than what you are qualified to do. They are not designed nor helpful for someone wanting to enter the security field. They are for documenting and proving experience over several domains over the course of a career.

If you are wanting to enter the security field, I would recommend starting with the basics... A+, Net+ and Sec+. You don't necessarily need all three, but I still recommend it. From there, it depends on where you want to go in security.

Red team side: look at eJPPT as your next step, gradually building to OSCP, and perhaps on to OSCE.

Blue team is a little more flexible, as it covers a wider area. You can't hurt yourself with an MS path. I would also suggest going down the CCNA > CCNA Security > CCNP Security, if networking is your thing. The entire SANS catalog is also quite valuable, though expensive. It isn't often talked about, but I would also recommend getting the Wireshark certification. Being an expert in Wireshark is amazingly helpful across a broad spectrum of roles.

Those are some starting points for you. If you have questions, feel free to ask. That said, it might be better to spend some time looking around the site. These questions have all been answered many times, and this crowd doesn't respond well when people seem to be spamming the forums. Take the time to read and learn, and understand what kinds of questions are asked where. This site is a treasure trove of information, and the people here are happy to share, but they don't want to feel abused.

That said, welcome to TE.