Options

Microsoft certs 1yr expiration

chrisonechrisone Member Posts: 2,278 ■■■■■■■■■□
edited December 2020 in Microsoft
Microsoft has changed their expiration date from 2 years to 1 year. Every 6 months you will have to do free online modules and an assessment. 

My question is, what if you hold 4 azure certs? do you have to do 4 online modules and assessment exams for each respective cert every 6 months? I applaud the free modules and assessments, but redoing them all individually every 6 months, that seems a little steep from a time perspective. 

Youtube video on the changes

https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/microsoft-learn-blog/stay-current-with-in-demand-skills-through-free-certification/ba-p/1489678

1. How many times can I retake the assessment?

You may retake the assessment as many times as you need to take it to pass, and you must pass before your certification expires. If you do not pass the first time, you may immediately attempt the assessment again. However, after the second try, you must wait at least 24 hours before any additional attempts.

2. If I renew my expert level role-based certification and it includes an associate-level pre-requisite certification, does my associate-level certification also automatically renew?

No. Each certification must be renewed separately by passing the associated assessment.

3. My expert-level certification requires achieving an associate-level certification as a pre-requisite. If the associate-level certification expires, will my expert level automatically expire too?

No, your expert-level certification will not automatically expire if your associate-level pre-requisite certification expires. Each certification must be renewed separately by passing the associated assessment.

Certs: CISSP, EnCE, OSCP, CRTP, eCTHPv2, eCPPT, eCIR, LFCS, CEH, SPLK-1002, SC-200, SC-300, AZ-900, AZ-500, VHL:Advanced+
2023 Cert Goals: SC-100, eCPTX

Comments

• Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,026 Admin
    edited December 2020
    MS must have certification discussion forums with people asking this same questions. How about on reddit?

And now my brain has to learn a new chrisone avatar? Groan...
  • Options
    Looks like you will have to do assessment tests and modules for every cert. Also looks like I will be scratching off azure certs from my long term plans. :D  I just don't have the time to be redoing assessment tests and exams every 6 month. 

Sorry about the avatar, once I get a prettier one I will put it up. Even though I don't look like him, I should probably just put one of Jay since you have Silent Bob there hahaha
    Certs: CISSP, EnCE, OSCP, CRTP, eCTHPv2, eCPPT, eCIR, LFCS, CEH, SPLK-1002, SC-200, SC-300, AZ-900, AZ-500, VHL:Advanced+
  • Options
    scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    for every certificate?
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • Options
    Yes sir, you will have to do online modules and assessment exams for each cert. I really wanted to do AZ-104, 204, 400, 500, 303, & 304 within the next two years. However I just can't work on all these online modules and assessments every 6 months. I rarely touch Azure on a day to day basis, the online module and assessments are probably best suited for those who manage Azure as their primary tasks. 

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/learn/certifications/renew-your-microsoft-certification?WT.mc_id=techcom_learn-blog-wwl
    1. How many times can I retake the assessment?

You may retake the assessment as many times as you need to take it to pass, and you must pass before your certification expires. If you do not pass the first time, you may immediately attempt the assessment again. However, after the second try, you must wait at least 24 hours before any additional attempts.

2. If I renew my expert level role-based certification and it includes an associate-level pre-requisite certification, does my associate-level certification also automatically renew?

No. Each certification must be renewed separately by passing the associated assessment.

3. My expert-level certification requires achieving an associate-level certification as a pre-requisite. If the associate-level certification expires, will my expert level automatically expire too?

No, your expert-level certification will not automatically expire if your associate-level pre-requisite certification expires. Each certification must be renewed separately by passing the associated assessment.

• Options
    Azt7Azt7 Member Posts: 121 ■■■■□□□□□□
    edited December 2020
    I had a feeling this was coming since they changed the Azure architect exam 3 times in about 2 years. It went from 70-534 to 70-535 to the role based certifications through transition exams.

Not sure what is going on over there but 2 years is too short of a window (6 month assesment is even crazier), especially for the ROI that Microsoft certs are offering compared to VM Ware, ISACA or ISC. Most vendors require 3 to 5 years on average. 

This approach will probably be adopted by individuals who have to maintain certifications (partners, resellers...) but I wonder how it will impact future candidates. I was thinking about doing MS-500 and AZ-500 but that's out of the window with this nonsense. 

Certifications : ITIL, MCSA Office 365, MCSE Productivity, AWS CSAA, Azure Architect, CCSK, TOGAF
    Studying for :  TBD
  • Options
    edited December 2020
    Agreed 100% , the expiration is 1yr though. So their plan is to notify you via email every 6 months that you have to renew your cert. Cert obtain, 6 months pass and you get a renewal email, you have another 6 months to finish your modules and assessments. Do this for all your Microsoft certs you have. 
  • Options
    Neil86Neil86 Member Posts: 182 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Bummer. I'm working toward AZ-104 now but we'll see if I go beyond that now after this. Thanks for the info @chrisone
  • Options
    Mike7Mike7 Member Posts: 1,107 ■■■■□□□□□□
    edited December 2020
    Think I will avoid Microsoft Azure certs for now. 1 year is just too short.  Even Google cloud certs have 2 years validity. 

At least for AWS certs, the expiration is 3 years later. Renewing the Pro certification automatically renew the corresponding Associate certs. And you still can use the 50% off exam voucher from passing the last exam; they do not expire. 

• Options
    yoba222yoba222 Member Posts: 1,237 ■■■■■■■■□□
    As a cert holder, I get skittish in the final year of a 3 year cert as it is. I couldn't imagine constantly planning every single year out for renewals of the same cert. But from the cert granter's perspective, I think this move makes sense, I painfully must admit.
    A+, Network+, CCNA, LFCS,
    Security+, eJPT, CySA+, PenTest+,
    Cisco CyberOps, GCIH, VHL,
    In progress: OSCP
  • Options
    E Double UE Double U Member Posts: 2,229 ■■■■■■■■■■
    The site mentions renewing certifications at no cost (big win) without taking exams (sounds cool). Now I just wonder how extensive the assessment is. It is in my nature to downplay things so the frequency might seem a bit much, but if the assessments are easy then I do not see the big deal. 
    Alphabet soup from (ISC)2, ISACA, GIAC, EC-Council, Microsoft, ITIL, Cisco, Scrum, CompTIA, AWS
  • Options
    I pushed back my free AZ-500 retake I have, until I hear from peoples renewal experience on how deep these modules/assessments are. If its not bad, I will just work on the AZ-500 and will just only keep that cert. Probably still won't dive too deep into the azure path anymore. 
  • Options
    Mike7Mike7 Member Posts: 1,107 ■■■■□□□□□□
    The rationale given by Microsoft is to ensure certified personnel are current with Azure.

Just my personal and probably unpopular opinion. 

Microsoft is trying to get people to deep dive into and use Azure more as they prepare/renew their certifications.  Which could lead to more Azure adoption since certified folks have invested so much effort understanding Azure, and are unable to keep current with other cloud computing technologies such as GCP and AWS. :#
  • Options
    FluffyBunnyFluffyBunny Member Posts: 230 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Mike7 said:
    The rationale given by Microsoft is to ensure certified personnel are current with Azure.
    Makes sense. With how busy I am, I'll probably only do an Azure cert as a one-off, to familiarize myself with the basics. For what I need to do, that'll usually suffice.
  • Options
    chrisone said:
    I pushed back my free AZ-500 retake I have 
    Just go for it  B)
    Alphabet soup from (ISC)2, ISACA, GIAC, EC-Council, Microsoft, ITIL, Cisco, Scrum, CompTIA, AWS
  • Options
    chrisone said:
    I pushed back my free AZ-500 retake I have 
    Just go for it  B)
    Hehehe I will, eventually towards the end of the year. I am just being honest with myself, I will get tired probably after the 2nd or 3rd assessment. I know I will just let it expire lol 
  • Options
    JDMurray said:
    Unless required to maintain by an employer or contract, it's usually OK to let certifications expire. In fact, after years in IT, you will likely see only certification vendors beating the drums about getting re-certified. Those of us who get certs only for learning opportunities and career advancement may well decide to only keep our most notable certs (e.g., CISSP, CCIE) renewed.
    Just had this discussion today with a colleague and a Product Owner. I let my Cisco credentials expire in 2017 because I moved on to a role that didn't grant me access to any Cisco products besides the Sourcefire IDS. I just did not see the point as I moved on to (ISC)2, GIAC, and ISACA offerings. Now I maintain any certification that requires CPEs and maintenance fees to recertify instead of taking exams that are no longer relevant to the direction my career has taken. I feel my credentials are relatively easy to maintain since my employer pays all of the fees. Maybe I will change my tune if I ever have to pay on my own to maintain CISSP, CCSP, CISM, CISA, CEH, GDSA, GCIH, GCIA, GCCC, GPEN, and GCIH. 
  • Options
    E Double U said:
    I feel my credentials are relatively easy to maintain since my employer pays all of the fees. Maybe I will change my tune if I ever have to pay on my own to maintain CISSP, CCSP, CISM, CISA, CEH, GDSA, GCIH, GCIA, GCCC, GPEN, and GCIH. 

Yes, good point. If you are not forced to take re-cert exams and have no problems collecting the CPEs or paying the maintenance fees then it's not much of a bother to keep recertified. Your situation is a certification vendor's dream!
  • Options
    DatabaseHeadDatabaseHead Member Posts: 2,753 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I don't know how you all do it to be honest.  Props.  I'm lucky to do one every 5 years at this point.  
  • Options
    FluffyBunnyFluffyBunny Member Posts: 230 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I don't know how you all do it to be honest.  Props.  I'm lucky to do one every 5 years at this point.  
    To be honest, something I read this morning makes me wonder whether I've not simply fallen for the clever corporate / capitalist ploy to have us all be good, little cogs in the machine feeling pride in their "achievements". I mean, I'm telling myself I enjoy all the studying and /r/homelab... But on the flipside that's at least eight hours a week I could be loafing on the sofa with my family, that I could be gaming, drawing or doing other fun things. 
  • Options
    DatabaseHeadDatabaseHead Member Posts: 2,753 ■■■■■■■■■■
    To be honest, something I read this morning makes me wonder whether I've not simply fallen for the clever corporate / capitalist ploy to have us all be good, little cogs in the machine feeling pride in their "achievements". I mean, I'm telling myself I enjoy all the studying and /r/homelab... But on the flipside that's at least eight hours a week I could be loafing on the sofa with my family, that I could be gaming, drawing or doing other fun things. 
    I've recently moved from the Midwest in the US to North Florida and have been playing a ton of golf.  Not for everyone, but I played younger so the muscle memory is still there.  Locked in with a professional for about 2 months now I am out playing all the challenging courses and having a blast.  

I've kind of accepted I am who I am and just roll with it.  IF and only IF an opportunity requires me to learn something new I will, but until then proactive learning is no longer something that interests me.  This isn't black and white, of course, there are exceptions but in general, the only learning I do doesn't require a test or come with a piece of paper.  I still do training, stats for instance or sometimes scripting or new database technologies but generally what you see is what you get.  

• Options
    edited December 2020
    To be honest with you, I have been working on my exit strategy for "obtaining certs" every year. I am 100% getting tired of certs. I started the following mindset.
    • Obtain certs that are relevant to your career (no more clout chasing).
    • Obtain certs that are in industry demand.
    • Obtain certs with a long lifespan or that do not expire, CPE & "low" maintenance fees are preferred.
    • Obtain certs that do NOT require $400+ in maintenance fees. Unless employer is handling that.
    • If doing a cert for the skills and for fun, balance your time and stress. By no means am I saying not to do what you like or do what is fun for you. 
    • Time is valuable and time is money. Don't waste it on obtaining things that have little relevancy. 
    If I invest all this time and struggle into certifications, how much could I have earned putting in all that energy into bug bounties? How many properties would I have now if I spent the same effort into real estate? 

I am still working on making 2022 my last year for multi-cert chasing. Sometimes I flirt with the idea of just not getting certs for a year or two. If I do work on a cert, it may be just 1 cert and something with a heavy brand name ISC2, ISACA, etc and I will take my time (1yr) to work on it :lol:

I understand my position is different due to my age and current list of certs. For a younger eager person, have at it, spend all the time you want on certs :wink:

Truthfully if all goes well with bug bounties and in a couple years I reach my ideal salary mark from it, I will 100% just focus my time and energy on bug bounties instead of certs.

I love IT/Tech/Hacking but its not my life, it doesn't define who I am. 
  • Options
    chrisone said:
    To be honest with you, I have been working on my exit strategy for "obtaining certs" every year. I am 100% getting tired of certs. 
    "Just when I thought I was out, they pull me back in"   :D

I have worked on multiple certs every year since 2013 (only one in 2016 because of the big relocation to another continent) and only in 2018 did I start to feel I have had enough. I tried to pull out of a SANS SEC560 course, but my manager paid for it anyway so I just completed the GPEN after having done CISA and PSM I within months before that. I told myself that was enough. But what always happens with me during my break from certs is I would spend my time on public transportation doing some leisure reading, listening to music, watching videos, and other things to pass the time. But then after a while something will prompt me to want to jump back into studying something related to work. That combined with having an employer that will pay for it all leads me right back to it. So in 2019 I knocked out two certifications, but this year I did four. Granted, I only wanted to do one, but some new work requirements led to me doing three more. 

I am at the point now where I have gathered so much knowledge it does not take the long durations of time to study as it once did. For example, I worked on the CISSP for a year and passed on the third attempt. I spent less time on all of the certs I worked on this year combined. Now I am studying both AZ-303/304 simultaneously, but I do not feel stressed or taking away from my work-life balance. I feel no pressure at all. The studying does not take away from my family quality time or exercise routine. It's just something I do whenever I have some spare time that in the past I would've spent doing nonessential things like watching my favorite films again or binging tv shows I have already seen. 
  • Options

As you progress through your life on this Earth, your focus will periodically change from school to career to family to school to career to family to ...
  • Options
    Deáthmáge85Deáthmáge85 Member Posts: 36 ■■■□□□□□□□
    edited September 2021
    I already did my re-cert for the AZ-103 and it was pretty simple, plus it was free. It wasn't so dreadful after all. :)

@Double - I completely agree, for O365 and Azure, as an example, the security certs aren't hard for me anymore. If you know what I mean how for example the MS-203 covers allot of stuff on Exchange but you need to know a frack ton about security too. Same goes for MS-100 and now MS-101, I had to learn MS-500 and AZ-500 content to bring myself up to par with Enterprise Administrator content for O365. 

I personally feel at some point all of these security certifications for O365 and Azure will have diminishing returns in terms of the amount of study required. I wouldn't be surprised if these upcoming certifications don't take me very long to lay at all. My day-to-day is also 100% in Azure and O365 with Server 2019/2022 being the on-premise VM infrastructure; none of this is a struggle to get hands-on, lol.

@chrisone - you'll never stop chasing multi-homed certs; many of the guys on this forum might recall my start in IT; its never stopped. Last year alone I did 7 certifications, this year I'm on par for 6 (but it's honestly cause I've been consumed by the MS-Docs pandora's box - once you read one article you click the links and read 6 more; it's like playing world of warcraft and saying "I'll just do one quest, ROFL ya ok!"), and next year who knows. IT learning is a journey, never a destination. Always remain humbled my friend. :)

For example, I've done AVD at work, and I read all of the MS-Docs for AVD, go and read the AZ-140 blueprints, I chuckled, I read all of them even before AZ-140 was an exam. ;-)
    Certifications: A+, N+, Sec+, Storage+, CySA+, CASP+ (003 & 004), VCP-DCV 5, VCP-DCV/NV 6, MCSE x 2: Core Infrastructure & Productivity (2016), Microsoft 365 Certified: Enterprise Administrator Expert, Microsoft Certified: Azure Solutions Architect Expert, Microsoft Certified: Azure Administrator, Microsoft 365 Certified: Messaging Administrator, Microsoft 365 Certified: Security Administrator Associate, Microsoft Certified: Azure Virtual Desktop Specialty, Microsoft Certified: Security Operations Analyst Associate, Microsoft Certified: Identity and Access Administrator Associate, Microsoft Certified: Azure Network Engineer Associate

Current Pursuit: Azure & O365 Renewals

:2023 Goals: 
     Certified: Azure Security Engineer Associate (AZ-500), Microsoft Certified: Windows Server Hybrid Administrator Associate (AZ-800 & AZ-801), Microsoft Certified: Azure Cybersecurity Architect (SC-100)

:2024 Goals:
    VCP7-DCV, CCSP, CISSP, CISM, CISSP-ISSAP, CISSP-ISSEP

:2025 Goals:
    Linux+, RHSA, PenTest+, C|EH, OSCP, Azure & O365 Renewals