Passed GSLC

charismaticxcharismaticx Member Posts: 160 ■■■■□□□□□□
This cert doesn't get enough recognition. There's a breath of useful material from the course that it compliments CISM quite well. Honestly, there was a few concepts that I had no idea about that it just came down to an educated guess. The course itself isn't difficult and the material is quite broad. If I had to compare it to GSEC then I would say that GSEC is much harder. If you take the time to read the books and build out the index then the exam isn't difficult. There was only like a handful of things that I had no idea about such as reading a Heat map. What attracted me the most about this course was that it covers the IAM III role. My employer had an empty seat so I felt like I had to jump on the chance. For anyone interested in the course, I would definitely jump on this one. It gives you a broader understanding of SOC operations and a few other topics that you need in the security field. I can honestly say this is my last cert for the year. It's time for a small break. 
Goals: PNPT; OSCP; GPYC; GSE

Comments

• scascscasc Member Posts: 461 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Thanks for the review. Contemplating this myself. 
    AWS, Azure, GCP, ISC2, GIAC, ISACA, TOGAF, SABSA, EC-Council, Comptia...
  • charismaticxcharismaticx Member Posts: 160 ■■■■□□□□□□
    With your credentials, I doubt you'll have much trouble. 
    Thanks - appreciate it. I'm looking to get out of this the SOC side of security management to compliment my Information Assurance/Risk background. Who taught the course? G.Mark or Frank are very good.
    I took the on demand course actually. The course itself wasn’t bad. Frank made the course easy to follow and a lot of his examples stuck in my head. The SOC portion is what caught my interest. Who would of thought project management would play a crucial role in SOC operations. 
    I have found that the processes involved to define the SOC (playbooks, reporting etc) is a mammoth task in its own right. The PM aspects of this are huge and critical. Did the course help with anything else such as risk assessments or frameworks to choose etc?
    No not really. The course did go over several frameworks, but not in the way that would help you pick a framework. Each framework is designed for a different purpose. It depends on the needs of the organization. You can take one that meets your needs and tailor it to what you need. 
    Thanks- yep makes sense. 
  • vintendovintendo Member Posts: 13 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I just recently went through this course and it’s my first time having to build an index out. Any tips on that?
    edited November 2020
    Everyone has their own way of doing an index - usually mine is very simple: Book, Topic, Description, Page. However others like to colour code pages and put sticky tape to help them reach the desired page quickly. Best to search the forum for GIAC Index and you will find many good examples. See below for some examples I found here. 

https://284docs.s3.eu-central-1.amazonaws.com/GIAC+GPEN+_+SANS+SEC560+Network+Penetration+Testing+&+Ethical+Hacking+Index+2020.pdf

https://community.infosecinstitute.com/discussion/comment/1178802#Comment_1178802

https://www.kilala.nl/Images/SEC566-index.pdf

• E Double UE Double U Member Posts: 2,228 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Congratulations!
    Alphabet soup from (ISC)2, ISACA, GIAC, EC-Council, Microsoft, ITIL, Cisco, Scrum, CompTIA, AWS
    Thanks @scasc that’s helpful!
    No problem, let us know how you get on.
    Congrats, I sit for this in a couple of weeks.
    scasc said:
    No problem, let us know how you get on.
    Passed today with an 87!
    Well done! Just missed out on the advisory board invite.