Options

Question regarding experience

VWKENVWKEN Member Posts: 5 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hi, I did an I.T technician internship early last year from Febuary to March at my community college. I graduate this year hopefully. Upon graduation, I will have an associates in I.T and a COMPTIA A+ cert. I was wondering, does it matter if I did my internship last year instead of this year? Or will the employer only care that atleast I have some experience? I am seeking Help Desk positions just to get my foot in the door.

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    DatabaseHeadDatabaseHead Member Posts: 2,753 ■■■■■■■■■■
    edited January 2021
    More recent would of been better but regardless list it, your internship with your degree and certification should land you something entry level.  Is there a chance you could do another 2 month internship with the college you are attending THIS year?  If so I would do that, it's MORE experience and it shows you did a GOOD job and they WANTED to bring you back.  
  • Options
    @DatabaseHead Thanks. And yes, I managed to get a work-study position with the public school office in my city. I now have 2 pieces of I.T experience under my belt. Ready to graduate and hit the ground running. I want to learn everything and become an expert in this field.
  • Options
    Sounds like you a tracking nicely.  Good luck!
  • Options
    @DatabaseHead Do you think I will be able to get a nice entry level role? I don't mind starting at help desk at all. I know once I am there, then the rest is history.
  • Options
    Yes, I think you will be able to land a help desk gig shortly after.  Of course resume, market etc...   will play a huge role.  
  • Options
    @DatabaseHead Thanks. What roles could I obtain with this experience and the CCNA? I am also looking at either NOC Technician/Network Analyst or Junior Network Admin. You know, entry level roles basically.
  • Options
    @VWKEN everyone of those you named you could land.  
  • Options
    @DatabaseHead Thanks I have another question: Why do so many of those positions ask for so much experience, etc? Should I apply anyway?
  • Options
    @VWKEN Those are usually wish list.  Generally what I see is a section where they really emphasize you have to have these skills and then you have everything else.  
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,028 Admin
    VWKEN said:
    Should I apply anyway?

There is no harm or penalty for applying to any job posting. You will NOT get 100% of the jobs that you do not apply for. ;)