Options

Preferred brokerage firm for investing

E Double UE Double U Member Posts: 2,231 ■■■■■■■■■■
At 40 I feel I am a bit late to the game, but just opened my first brokerage account. Due to limitations as an American citizen that no longer has a US-based address I went with E*Trade. The others I checked with don't allow it (Robin Hood, Fidelity, TDAmeritrade, T Rowe Price, Wells Fargo). 

If there are any investors here, I am curious to hear about which platform you chose and why. I would really love to hear from people that have experience with E*Trade. 

P.S. I know this site is exam focused, but I just wanted a break from the tech talk :-)
Alphabet soup from (ISC)2, ISACA, GIAC, EC-Council, Microsoft, ITIL, Cisco, Scrum, CompTIA, AWS

Comments

• Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,031 Admin
    ... as an American citizen that no longer has a US-based address ...

I would think the larger brokers have the ability to verify your US Citizenship and be good with no US snailing address but still having a US bank account attached to the brokerage account.

Then again, isn't there a service that can provide ex-pats a US-based POB address and forward their snail overseas or just scan the paper and email it to you? If not, I'm smelling a business opportunity here!

• Options
    E Double UE Double U Member Posts: 2,231 ■■■■■■■■■■
    From the list that I looked into including all the ones that told me no, only E*Trade and Charles Schwab allow it. Between those two I went with E*Trade because there is no minimum investment. What Schwab demands is above my risk appetite as a beginner.

I didn't see a need to explore that service, but it indeed does sound like a good business opportunity. Step into my office :-)
    Alphabet soup from (ISC)2, ISACA, GIAC, EC-Council, Microsoft, ITIL, Cisco, Scrum, CompTIA, AWS