Options

Passing Linux+ when I have A+, Network+, and Security+? What will renew what now?

gettinoldgettinold Member Posts: 27 ■■■□□□□□□□
edited January 2021 in CompTIA
I have had Security+CE since 2011 and N+, A+ since the late 90's. It is a pain in the butt to keep renewing the Security+ but it is required for DOD contracts.

I did like renewing the Security+CE to renew the A+ and N+. It takes care of all the stupid alphabet letters that want to see which keeps me working. :)

The below pyramid shows Linux+ as being a "higher cert" than "Security+". However, it looks like it only renews the A+ Cert. 

https://www.comptia.org/continuing-education/learn/renewing-multiple-certifications

It seems that Comptia's statement of "Renewing higher-level CompTIA certifications can fully renew your lower-level certifications." is contradicted if I am reading things correctly.

I would have liked to take the CASP first as I mentioned in a previous post but ended up with an emergency need to take the Linux+ to keep the bean counters happy. 

I am due to take my Security+ in about 1.5 years to renew it and the N+, and A+. Does this mean that every 1.5 years I will either be renewing my Security+ via Certmaster CE and my Linux+ via??

I am confused and don't want to create more work and stress for myself and have to dish out too much money.

Thanks.
Old, burnt out with this field and want it easy just like I did 22 years ago when I started IT. Some things never change. They used to call me a paper MCSE but now they can't stop calling me. What can I say, IT has gotten me through the horrors of life. It has been almost as loyal as man's best friend.

Comments

• Options
    yoba222yoba222 Member Posts: 1,237 ■■■■■■■■□□
    You could speedrun some pre-approved Cybrary courses for Linux+. The PDF list is in the preapproved for DoD section:
    https://www.comptia.org/continuing-education/choose/renewing-with-multiple-activities/training-and-higher-education
    Could probably do it within the Cybrary 3-day trial window, but maybe take care not to exceed 24 CEUs per day of speedrunning. Shouldn't cost a penny to do, other than the $150 CompTIA troll tax.

A+, Network+, CCNA, LFCS,
    Security+, eJPT, CySA+, PenTest+,
    Cisco CyberOps, GCIH, VHL,
    In progress: OSCP
  • Options
    fitzlopezfitzlopez Member Posts: 103 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Hi, I found the documentation misleading https://www.comptia.org/continuing-education/choose/renew-with-a-single-activity/earn-a-higher-level-comptia-certification , I thought that the CASP would renew my linux+ but it doesn't. I don't know if it's because I skipped A+,Networking+ and Security+ but my track gets renewed like this:

Linux+ will get renewed just by Cloud+ $50 dlls annual fee + the study hours there.
    Pentest+, CySA+ get renewed by the CASP another $50 dlls annual fee + the study hours there.

So for your purposes I'd either keep renewing the Security or go for CASP, I think the Pentest+ or the CySA would also renew the <=Security+.

If I got some spare cash or I get invited to another Beta I'll try doing the other certs in the pyramid, maybe in a couple of years.
  • Options
    gettinoldgettinold Member Posts: 27 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Thanks so much for possible paths. I might come back to ask questions. I am not just gettinold...this certification stuff is too.

Speedrunning? I never heard that term. Could you expand a little please? Sounds like the way to go!
    Old, burnt out with this field and want it easy just like I did 22 years ago when I started IT. Some things never change. They used to call me a paper MCSE but now they can't stop calling me. What can I say, IT has gotten me through the horrors of life. It has been almost as loyal as man's best friend.
  • Options
    raleighbluetechraleighbluetech Registered Users Posts: 12 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I think at a certain point, renewing old certifications should just be happen chance as you progress. If you want to move up by taking your CASP, it's an added bonus if it renews your old certs. But I also get it, if you want to just keep up with it. It's easy to forget the details from previous certifications.

You probably already know this though.

For the IAT stuff, my personal favorite thing to do is to get the CCNA Security. That renews your Security+ and qualifies you for the CCNA.
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,026 Admin
    For the IAT stuff, my personal favorite thing to do is to get the CCNA Security. That renews your Security+ and qualifies you for the CCNA.

• Options
    fitzlopezfitzlopez Member Posts: 103 ■■■□□□□□□□
    JDMurray said:

None of the certs from other vendors give you the 50 CEUs for Security+, you'd need to do 2 on this list

Or add CEUs some other way. If it´s just for renewing I think it would be easier to just do the CASP