Wild West Hackin’ Fest Training & Casts

JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
edited February 2021 in IT Jobs / Degrees
Job-oriented webcasts from Wild West Hackin' Fest for Feb/Mar 2021.
2021 training schedule (so far) for Wild West Hackin' Fest including "Pay What You Can" courses.

Comments

• chrisonechrisone Member Posts: 2,278 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Some of the best courses for the money! Amazing content and I highly encourage the course "Breaching the cloud - Beau Bullock" 
    Certs: CISSP, EnCE, OSCP, CRTP, eCTHPv2, eCPPT, eCIR, LFCS, CEH, SPLK-1002, SC-200, SC-300, AZ-900, AZ-500, VHL:Advanced+
    2023 Cert Goals: SC-100, eCPTX
  • SteveLavoieSteveLavoie Member Posts: 1,133 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Starting SOC Basic skills tomorrow.. I registered for the 2 other classes on Pay as you want.. 
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    Starting SOC Basic skills tomorrow..

Please post a detailed review of that course! I wanted to take it now, but I'm too busy this week. If it's real good I'll take it in April.

Active Defense & Cyber Deception (Pay What You Can) , seems like an interesting course. I will most likely take this come March. 
    "In this class, you will learn how to force an attacker to take more moves to attack your network. These moves may increase your ability to detect them. You will learn how to gain better attribution as to who is attacking you and why. You will also find out how to get access to a bad guy’s system. And most importantly, you will find out how to do the above legally."

Seems like they use a DARPA built VM? "This class is based on the DARPA funded Active Defense Harbinger Distribution live Linux environment. This VM is built from the ground up for defenders to quickly implement Active Defenses in their environments."
    Certs: CISSP, EnCE, OSCP, CRTP, eCTHPv2, eCPPT, eCIR, LFCS, CEH, SPLK-1002, SC-200, SC-300, AZ-900, AZ-500, VHL:Advanced+
    edited February 2021
    JDMurray said:
    Starting SOC Basic skills tomorrow..

Please post a detailed review of that course! I wanted to take it now, but I'm too busy this week. If it's real good I'll take it in April.

I will.. after 1 day, I can say that it is a great class well worth the full price, John Strands is an incredible instructor. The content is great (a bit basic for me) but well presented. For the content, it is mostly a basic GCIH class. The class is of SANS quality at Pay what you want price :)  My first goal was to see if this training was great so I can train other person in my team, and I will get them on class. 

For the delivery of his class, he is using GotoWebinar, and there is a Discord server for question/tech support etc.. that combo is great. 

Finally I like the schedule (4h per day, noon-4PM), it is not too much, and you can keep up with your jobs and other obligation. My only complaint is that the recording is not available as soon as the class end, as I missed 20 min due to an important phone call.. and I missed a lab walkthrought and almost 24h later, it is still not available. 
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    My only complaint is that the recording is not available as soon as the class end, as I missed 20 min due to an important phone call.. and I missed a lab walkthrought and almost 24h later, it is still not available. 

It takes BHIS a while (1-2 weeks) to produce their webinar videos, so that doesn't surprise me. It will get there eventually. Will the videos be public or only made available to the attendees?

Also, if there still isn't a way to save a Discord chat to a file, check out DiscordChatExporter on github. I used an older version of it to save BHIS Discord channel chats to disk and it works well, but finding the Discord chat's session key it a bit of a CTF exercise.

Class should be available to attendees I think. They said, they will release in 24h.. but it is a slight complaint

Funny you mention the course quality is similar to SANS. John used to be a SANS instructor. John is an amazing teacher.

https://www.blackhillsinfosec.com/im-resigning-from-sans/
    chrisone said:
    Funny you mention the course quality is similar to SANS. John used to be a SANS instructor. John is an amazing teacher.

https://www.blackhillsinfosec.com/im-resigning-from-sans/
    I know..  I would say that even his slide look like SANS slide, maybe same font and layout. 

Well if someone didnt have the budget to go to SEC504.. it is a nice alternative not as complete as it is only 16h, but a very nice intro.