VMware recording activity and sending usage/personal data.

hbj097hbj097 Member Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi guys,

Hope you're doing well!

I installed Tails on VMware Workstation (which i like a lot) and immediately after install the OS warned me about the fact that the software is not free, and it's security implications!...
Does VMware software record activity and send usage/personal data to VMware's servers?
If so i'll have to stop using it. Which one you recommend that is safe and secure?

Why on this forum's message box when using Control left or right, it behaves like Home and End keys? Any solution? It's an annoying behavior :)

Cheers for any feedback!

Comments

• itdeptitdept Registered Users Posts: 273 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Is this a legit copy of VMware Workstation? I know that ESXi asks user if you want to join the customer experience program but I highly doubt they send back personal info. VMware is secure but does need its own patching / updating like anything else. 
    Were did you get TAILs from? It is free and you can run it from a bootable USB bypassing using a VM or system OS
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    Because Tails is concerned about privacy, there might be some info on the Tails website about privacy issues when installing Tails in VMware.
  • hbj097hbj097 Member Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    edited February 2021
    itdept said:
    Is this a legit copy of VMware Workstation? I know that ESXi asks user if you want to join the customer experience program but I highly doubt they send back personal info. VMware is secure but does need its own patching / updating like anything else. 
    Were did you get TAILs from? It is free and you can run it from a bootable USB bypassing using a VM or system OS
    Thank you for your reply! Much appreciated!

The VMware Workstation i am currently testing is not legit, but it updates fine!

Got Tails from their site

they say:
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    The following list includes only free software as we believe that this is a necessary condition for the software to be trustworthy. See the previous warning and our statement about free software and public scrutiny.

Proprietary virtualization software solutions exist such as VMWare but are not listed here on purpose.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I think what they mention has a point, but on the other hand i don't want to stop using a great software just because of that.
    From my experience VMWare Workstation is the best!

Maybe i can post on their forum...
    Let me know if you have anything additional to shed.

PS: Any idea why the message box Control left/right behaves like Home and End keys? Any solution?

• yoba222yoba222 Member Posts: 1,237 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Tails is really meant to be used in a disposable way, as in booted from a read-only USB stick. Why not just use Linux KVM, or VirtualBox, instead of risking malware infection using pirated software? Either way, it doesn't sound like your activitiy has much of anything to do with pursuing certifications...
    A+, Network+, CCNA, LFCS,
    Security+, eJPT, CySA+, PenTest+,
    Cisco CyberOps, GCIH, VHL,
    In progress: OSCP
  • hbj097hbj097 Member Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    yoba222 said:
    Tails is really meant to be used in a disposable way, as in booted from a read-only USB stick. Why not just use Linux KVM, or VirtualBox, instead of risking malware infection using pirated software? Either way, it doesn't sound like your activitiy has much of anything to do with pursuing certifications...

Kaspersky didn't detect malware, but you're right!
    I'll give Virtualbox a go, as i run windows.

I am currently not pursuing a certification in vmware specifically; my interest is something else.

My usage with tails is to check some websites where i fear infection etc, and for extra security and privacy. The VM part is really to avoid booting another OS when needed, and also the copy paste part which is useful. So i need to find a way to avoid any storage on the HD with Virtualbox, for extra security