Freelancing and projects

Connor2kwikConnor2kwik Member Posts: 43 ■■■□□□□□□□
So as of late I've been considering freelancing/self employment. The issue is I know how to code, but I have no experience. Is doing a portfolio of personal projects considered experience?

Comments

• JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    What personal coding projects do you have posted in your sourceforge and github accounts? Those are the public portfolio sites for programmers.
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    From what I been told by this guy on reddit he was telling me personal coding projects don\t count as "experience" when you're trying to build up a client base. 

He doesn't speak for everyone looking to hire a programmer, or does he? Only look for work offers from people who do consider any example of working, well-written programs to be "experience." If I were hiring a programmer, I would want to make sure that any code given as a reference of the programmer's work was actually written 100% by that programmer. Many professional software apps are written by many programmers over time and you can't tell the skill level of a specific individual programmer from that.

• yoba222yoba222 Member Posts: 1,237 ■■■■■■■■□□
    You can have a look around on fiverr.com to get an idea of how others approach freelance coding. The problem with that kind of freelancing work is that you're basically competing with the rest of the world and a good chunk of freelancers seem to be from developing countries and willing to work for pennies on the dollar.
    A+, Network+, CCNA, LFCS,
    Security+, eJPT, CySA+, PenTest+,
    Cisco CyberOps, GCIH, VHL,
    In progress: OSCP
  • SteveLavoieSteveLavoie Member Posts: 1,133 ■■■■■■■■■□
    We don't know what is your day job, but I would consider targeting something related and coding, so your knowledge of the other domain could make you more valuable as a coder. By example, if you work with plumber, make an application useful for them, that will make you unique. Otherwise you will compete with people from developping countries and "waste" your time with generic project. 
  • DatabaseHeadDatabaseHead Member Posts: 2,753 ■■■■■■■■■■
    edited February 2021
    JDMurray said:
    What personal coding projects do you have posted in your sourceforge and github accounts? Those are the public portfolio sites for programmers.
    From what I been told by this guy on reddit he was telling me personal coding projects don\t count as "experience" when you're trying to build up a client base. 
    I tend to agree with this.  I've designed some scripts and dashboards and it hasn't brought me much success.  I actually removed them from my resume and it seemed to help.  How embarrassing......
  • SteveLavoieSteveLavoie Member Posts: 1,133 ■■■■■■■■■□
    We don't know what is your day job, but I would consider targeting something related and coding, so your knowledge of the other domain could make you more valuable as a coder. By example, if you work with plumber, make an application useful for them, that will make you unique. Otherwise you will compete with people from developing countries and "waste" your time with generic project. 
    Well I dont have a day job for one and I'm looking to do web development as a freelancer in order to make money. And before you say anything I refrain you from saying "just go out and apply for a web dev job". There's a reason why I want to go this route
    Freelancing without some experience will be tough, but I am hoping for the best for you :)