CCNA vs Master

capiocapio Member Posts: 4 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hello,

I live in a European country and i can get a masters degree in Networking Engineering and Telecommunications ( 2 years) for ~1000€. A CCNA would cost be about the same. 

What would you do?

Comments

• balancebalance Member Posts: 244 ■■■■■□□□□□
    how is CCNA so expensive? 
  • E Double UE Double U Member Posts: 2,228 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Either Cisco exam prices have increased tremendously or you are mistaken. According to the Cisco website, associate level exams are $300 - https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/training-events/training-certifications/exams.html#~stickynav=3. So for the amount you are stating then I assume that is the price of training.

Back to your question of what I would choose between a masters and CCNA for the same price, I would choose a degree over ANY certification for that price. But also keep in mind that you don't have to choose one or the other. You can prioritize them by simply doing one before the other. 

Alphabet soup from (ISC)2, ISACA, GIAC, EC-Council, Microsoft, ITIL, Cisco, Scrum, CompTIA, AWS
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    Are more job postings for network engineers in your local area asking for CCNA or NE&T Masters degree?
  • stryder144stryder144 Member Posts: 1,684 ■■■■■■■■□□
    For that price, I would likely get the Masters degree and self-study for the CCNA (assuming that you are the type that thrives on self-study instead of needing a live instructor present).
    The easiest thing to be in the world is you. The most difficult thing to be is what other people want you to be. Don't let them put you in that position. ~ Leo Buscaglia

Connect With Me || My Blog Site || Follow Me
  • srothmansrothman Member Posts: 73 ■■■□□□□□□□
    capio said:
    Hello,

I live in a European country and i can get a masters degree in Networking Engineering and Telecommunications ( 2 years) for ~1000€. A CCNA would cost be about the same. 

What would you do?
    1000€ seems very high for a CCNA, and very low for a Masters. Something isn't adding up. In my opinion Experience > Vocational training > academic training. I am currently busy with my Masters (3yrs and around GBP 9,500), to compliment my almost 20 years experience and a list of certifications as long as my.. well... it's long. If you're looking to do something that will promote your career or bring in more money, then focus on whatever that is. CCNA is ~6 months if you're lazy compared to a 2-year academic, generic degree? I'd say prioritize the CCNA and get it out of the way. (Just find a much MUCH cheaper one).
  • surbhinahtasurbhinahta Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□