Just another lab question

optimusoptimus Member Posts: 183
Hi everyone,

I hate to ask this same old question, but I have to. I researched quite a bit and could not find anything good for a lab setup. Not that I need a lab right away because I have a lot of reading to do, but it does take time to get the stuff from ebay at a decent price. It could take me 2-3 months.

Currently I have:

(2 qty) - Cisco 2620 router
(1 qty) - Cisco 2950 switch 24 port

I am thinking about 2 more routers and 1 more switch. Not sure if this is right, but I think it is. What models would anyone recommend?

Thanks for any info,

Optimus

Comments

• EdTheLadEdTheLad Member Posts: 2,111 ■■■■□□□□□□
    If you wanna get more equipment think along the lines of a couple more 2610s and a couple of 2950's, 2 2950s doesnt cut it,3 is a must im my opinion.A better idea might be to buy a couple of desk tops,run dynamips on these interconected to your current equipment.For anything extra like layer 3 switching functionality use lab rentals.
    Networking, sometimes i love it, mostly i hate it.Its all about the $$$$
  • wildfirewildfire Member Posts: 654
    Im with Ed now you have a couple of routers build the rest with Dynamips/dynagen and lab rentals for the l3 switch stuff, some of it can be done on dyna using the 16-ESW but not all
    Looking for CCIE lab study partnerts, in the UK or Online.
  • optimusoptimus Member Posts: 183
    Hey thanks guys for the info. :D Would it be safe to say, as far as the routers go, 12 port will do? I can't imagine why I would need a couple more 24 port ones, but just in case.

- Optimus
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Sure -- the more ports on your routers, the more fun you can have.... or did you mean 12 port switches? icon_lol.gif

The 12 port switches are fine for the CCNP -- it keeps the cost down.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • optimusoptimus Member Posts: 183
    Ooops icon_redface.gif

Yeah, meant to say 12 port switches. Those 24 port 2950s are a bit pricey icon_cry.gif

- Optimus