Looking at getting into Cyber Sec

bowmattybowmatty Member Posts: 107 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hi guys, 

I'm looking at getting into Cyber Security, I'm currently in a deskside support position doing technical support for level 1- 3.

I have my CompTIA A+, Net+, CCNA and Azure certificates and looking at getting started on a Security cert. I want to start on something a bit weightier than the standard Sec+, what shall i start on.. any recommendations would be great? 

Thanks    

Comments

• JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    Start by deciding what area(s) of cybersecurity are you interested in working. There are certs for security operations (SOC), penetration testing, Cloud security, digital forensics, etc. Your intended future career path should make the decision for you.
  • bowmattybowmatty Member Posts: 107 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I wouldnt have a clue... maybe Security operations or cloud sec. :) 
  • jay twizzlejay twizzle Member Posts: 7 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I am in the same situation, I am an IT Admin looking to get into the Cyber Security, I have an interest in IAM since I already do it at a smaller level in my current position. I will work on obtaining the Sec + after taking my Azure Fundamentals since I scheduled the test months ago.
  • E Double UE Double U Member Posts: 2,228 ■■■■■■■■■■
    For self-study I do recommend getting into CompTIA Security+ material even if you do not take the exam. If you have the resources to attend SANS training, then SEC401/GSEC is a good foundation option.
    Alphabet soup from (ISC)2, ISACA, GIAC, EC-Council, Microsoft, ITIL, Cisco, Scrum, CompTIA, AWS
  • bowmattybowmatty Member Posts: 107 ■■■□□□□□□□
    edited February 2021
    @edoubleu

Thats my plan with Sec+, just to do the course as a baseline. 
    I looking into the ‘SEC401/GSEC‘ and thats like $8000 for the course and $800 for the exam! Anywhere i can downloand the course and not pay the $$$$. 

Thanka 
  • SteveLavoieSteveLavoie Member Posts: 1,133 ■■■■■■■■■□
    IMO Security+ or ISC2 SSCP are nice certification for new people coming to infosec from an IT background. It really cover most area of infosec on a very high level, it give you the vocabulary of the domain too. 
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    I have an interest in IAM since I already do it at a smaller level in my current position.

IAM is huge in cybersecurity right now and especially in Cloud security. (I believe IAM is the largest and most all-encompassing service in AWS.) While there no certs specifically for IAM, it's a good specialty to have for anything Microsoft, Cisco, or Cloud.

• DatabaseHeadDatabaseHead Member Posts: 2,753 ■■■■■■■■■■
    edited March 2021
    I DO NOT WORK IN SECURITY, This is just my Internet Research Findings...

I've watched several "pros" on YouTube and they all pretty much say the same thing.  Skills:  Linux, Networking (high-level understanding like Network +), and learn how to script Python......   Not saying it's right but all my research has pointed to those core skills.  Honorable mentioned.  Cloud understanding (Azure, AWS).

Other means to get a job in Cyber Security
    Degree in Cyber Security 
    Specific Certs
    Know someone LOL

What about learning scripting first?  As previously mentioned they all pretty much say if you can program in Python proficiently you can land a security gig.